Which excursion ?

First off yes I already posted on the Panama board but its not too active so hoping to get more help here.  We are on the Radiance on 2/27 and will go to Colon, Panama for the first time and don't know what is the best tour to see the canal/locks  If anyone can help we would appreciate it!  You don't need to quote all of this for anyone willing to reply/help us out since its a long post maybe just put the tour number or name and your thoughts or experience.  

1. Panama Canal & IMAX Experience

Overview

Take a virtual trip through the Panama Canal with an IMAX experience before exploring the former Canal zone and learning its history.

Highlights

• Visit Panama's first IMAX theater and settle in for "Panama Canal in 3D: A Land Divided, a World United," a spectacular, 3-D documentary that takes you from the days Conquistadores struggled through a water-soaked quagmire to the engineering achievement that established the canal as revolutionary in shipping and tropical medicine.
  • Enjoy free time at the IMAX experience and a panoramic tour of the Old Canal Zone to learn more about the canal's history.

2. Grand Tour of Panama

Overview

Enjoy gliding along the historic Panama Canal on an exciting boat ride while learning the ins and outs of how this structural wonder operates, serving as a key channel for international trade. Cruise on the Chagres River to Gatun Lake, where a lush tropical paradise replete with exotic flora and fauna emerges. Watch as the waters of Gatun feed the Panama Canal locks system. Along the way, discover the culture of the Emberá people of Neopono Puru Island and take in a traditional tribal dance.

Highlights

• Panama Canal: Enjoy the beauty and wonder of this famous passageway as you cruise along, learning about the Canal’s role as a primary channel for international trade.
  • Gatun Lake: See the luscious flora and fauna of the Panamanian rainforest.
  • Emberá Culture: Take in a traditional tribal dance, and learn about the customs and way of life among the Emberá people.

3. Eco Cruise on Gatun Lake

Overview

Cruise along the vast jungle area surrounding Gatun Lake and prepare yourself for a wildlife extravaganza. You will ride along the back channels, islands, and bays of this unique waterway to get an up close glimpse of the capuchin monkeys and other animals that inhabit this area. Have your camera ready to take advantage of the abundant photo opportunities, and listen along as your guide describes the culture, history, and ecology of this unspoiled region.

Highlights

• Wildlife: Keep your camera handy! Likely sightings include capuchin monkeys, sloths, toucans, crocodiles, and many other rainforest creatures.
  • Gatun Lake: Built to accommodate the Panama Canal, this vast beautiful lake covers hundreds of acres of former rainforest.

4. Panama City Tour & Canal Locks

Overview

Watch closely as the rich history, dynamic culture, and engineering prowess of Panama comes alive on a full-day tour that includes a stroll through Panama City and a stop at the world famous Panama Canal. Begin the day with a panoramic drive to bustling Panama City, the first European city established on the Pacific Coast of the Americas. As you pass cosmopolitan cityscapes and old Panamanian ruins, you’ll listen to the region’s expansive history from your guide. Hop off the bus and embark on a walking tour through the Casco Viejo historic district, across narrow cobblestone pathways and past stunning Spanish colonial edifices. Here you’ll admire wrought-iron balconies, roam plazas, view 300-year-old churches, and hear the rhythm of Latin music. Then enjoy an up-close glimpse of the Panama Canal, considered the world’s greatest shortcut. With a visit to the Agua Clara Locks (expansion center), you’ll learn the history and construction process behind this feat of engineering.

Highlights

• Guided Tour: Hear tales of old Panama City and learn about its modern cosmopolitan charms from an informative guide.
  • Casco Antiguo "Old Quarters" is a World Heritage Site.
  • Visit the Agua Clara Locks of the Panama Canal and learn about the history behind it.
  • Refreshments: Snacks are included on bus ride.

5. Portobelo & Agua Clara Locks

Overview

Discover the best of Panama during this half-day tour. First, drive to Portobelo, where you’ll roam the same streets feared buccaneer Captain Morgan did 300 years ago. Later, visit the Agua Clara Locks or Expansion Center, see the results of the world’s largest construction project, and learn how the canals expansion has changed the flow of global trade.

Highlights

• Visit Portobelo: a Colonial era Caribbean trading center surrounded by 17th century Spanish Conquistador Forts, a UNESCO World Heritage site.
  • A UNESCO World Heritage Site: Learn all about Portobelo's colorful history as a pirate haven for Captain Henry Morgan and other buccaneers.
  • Expansion Center: Return to Colon to visit the Agua Clara Locks in the Panama Canal Zone and see the results of the world's largest construction project.

6. Panama Canal and Monkey Eco Tour

Overview

Bring your sense of adventure on this guided tour of the protected wild life sanctuaries on Lake Gatun's islands. Speed through the Panama Canal by boat and enter the labyrinth of jungle-covered islands along Lake Gatun, where naturalist guides will educate you on the wildlife that live there and their tropical habitats. Among the inhabitants you may spot are capuchin monkeys, three-toed sloths, howler monkeys, toucans, caimans, crocodiles, turtles, butterflies, and many species of rainforest flora. 

Highlights

• Panama Canal: Speed alongside massive ships navigating this man-made passage.
  • Lake Gatun: Learn about the rainforest that surrounds this man-made lake and how it provides shelter for native plants and wildlife.
  • Naturalist Guides: Heighten your jungle and canal adventure with expert information on the surrounding ecosystem.

11 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

I'll be honest, when I finally get to do a PC cruise, I plan to stay on the ship going through the locks.

We just did the full transit San Pedro-Tampa in October onboard RCI Serenade and there was no option to get off during our travel through the locks.

We had Colon, Panama as a port in March of 2020... 
Our Excursion took us on a bus ride across town (over 90 mins... I slept so I missed all the different points of interest) Then we got on a ship that went through the locks.
I looked through my email and could not find the name of the excursion

Maybe @birdladyremembers the name or still has a copy of the receipt 

6 hours ago, LilBlackDress said:

We had Colon, Panama as a port in March of 2020... 
Our Excursion took us on a bus ride across town (over 90 mins... I slept so I missed all the different points of interest) Then we got on a ship that went through the locks.
I looked through my email and could not find the name of the excursion

Maybe @birdladyremembers the name or still has a copy of the receipt 

Thank you and did you enjoy and would recommend the excursion?  Hopefully @birdlady replies with the name of the excursion.  

We just got off the Celebrity Constellation in mid-December. I highly recommend the Grand Tour of Panama. You overlook the locks, have video presentation and watch any ships going through. After that, you will see the Embera people who great hosts. Great views of all the animals and plants along the lake. We enjoyed the excursion. Our ship did not go through the canal.

Just an after thought. We had one ship excursion on a ferry get delayed in a lock due to a freighter / lock problem. The Connie waited two extra hours for them to get back. We were in one of the bars when a couple came in and just wanted to have a drink. They looked awful. They said they were stuck on the ferry with little food or drink practically all afternoon. So, I would not recommend that excursion.

14 hours ago, baldilocks said:

We just got off the Celebrity Constellation in mid-December. I highly recommend the Grand Tour of Panama. You overlook the locks, have video presentation and watch any ships going through. After that, you will see the Embera people who great hosts. Great views of all the animals and plants along the lake. We enjoyed the excursion. Our ship did not go through the canal.

Just an after thought. We had one ship excursion on a ferry get delayed in a lock due to a freighter / lock problem. The Connie waited two extra hours for them to get back. We were in one of the bars when a couple came in and just wanted to have a drink. They looked awful. They said they were stuck on the ferry with little food or drink practically all afternoon. So, I would not recommend that excursion.

Did your excursion go through the canal?  Wow and thanks for the info on that excursion.  We plan to carry off water and some packaged snacks just in case.  

4 5 and 6 only see the locks. I had booked the eco plus locks and changed to the portobello and locks. Better price, I think 6 would be my preference.  6 is now sold out or 1 space for march 27. Selling out.

I woulnt pick the others and not see some of the locks. 

50 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

4 5 and 6 only see the locks. I had booked the eco plus locks and changed to the portobello and locks. Better price, I think 6 would be my preference.  6 is now sold out or 1 space for march 27. Selling out.

I woulnt pick the others and not see some of the locks. 

Thank you and I also like #6 but it is sold out so we will check onboard.  Have you done any of the tours?

4 hours ago, CruiseMomTX said:

Thank you and I also like #6 but it is sold out so we will check onboard.  Have you done any of the tours?

These are new since covid. Before there was a 7 hour all day just locks with lunch. About $169. Not offered now. I'm a bit disappointed.  

On 1/17/2023 at 6:52 PM, baldilocks said:

So the Grand Tour of Panama did NOT go thru the Locks? From the description, it sounds like it would. 

10 hours ago, CruiseMomTX said:

Did your excursion go through the canal?  Wow and thanks for the info on that excursion.  We plan to carry off water and some packaged snacks just in case.  

No. We watched the ships go through the locks for about an hour before we headed off to the native  and lake part of the tour. They had a nice 15 minute video about the canal in the visitor center....yes, my wife bought a T-shirt at the shop. The whole trip was very clean. No trash or smelly restrooms.

The folks that booked the ferry excursion through some locks got trapped by a freighter having trouble in the lock. The ship waited an extra two hours for then to get back. They looked like a real bunch of tired, hot and hungry tourists when they finally boarded the ship. I vote for watching the ships from the observation deck.

5 minutes ago, CruiseMomTX said:

Thank you everyone for the information!  After seeing the comments of people on tours being 2 hours late we decided on the Eco Cruise on Gatun Lake for now.  We can always cancel and book something else if we change our minds.  

I still think the Grand Tour excursion is your best bet. It has the eco part plus the canal observation deck and the native village. I think it covers everything that you might want.

1 hour ago, baldilocks said:

I still think the Grand Tour excursion is your best bet. It has the eco part plus the canal observation deck and the native village. I think it covers everything that you might want.

Thanks & I'll go back and take at look at that one.

6 minutes ago, CruiseMomTX said:

Can you see any of the locks if you just do the Eco Tour?

The eco and locks is sold out. The just eco tour I dont believe you can see the locks. 

I booked the portobello and locks. Says half will see some locks. 

This is the one sold out also sees the locks. 

Second is what I have booked. The other choice with locks was like 8 or 9 hours. This is 7 still long to me. Hope it's good. 

20230119_123054690.jpeg

20230119_123026557.jpeg

I'm so confused on these Panama excursions! When we first booked the Grand Tour, it listed a longer time for the excursion & it also said "cruise" along in a boat, which I took to mean you went thru the canal. The person at the excursion desk said it went thru, too, but honestly, he read word for word what the website said. Now it says "glide" along & is a shorter time. I thought I was booking a tour that took you thru the canal, but looks like that isn't the case. And now the one that looks like it DOES go thru, is fully booked. I'm so bummed....I guess I'll have to just check with the excursion people when I get on board & hope they know what they are talking about!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, JHawk63 said:

I'm so confused on these Panama excursions! When we first booked the Grand Tour, it listed a longer time for the excursion & it also said "cruise" along in a boat, which I took to mean you went thru the canal. The person at the excursion desk said it went thru, too, but honestly, he read word for word what the website said. Now it says "glide" along & is a shorter time. I thought I was booking a tour that took you thru the canal, but looks like that isn't the case. And now the one that looks like it DOES go thru, is fully booked. I'm so bummed....I guess I'll have to just check with the excursion people when I get on board & hope they know what they are talking about!

Book the Grand Tour before it is sold out. You can change your mind later and book another tour if you wish. These tours go fast. Waiting to book on board the ship may leave you with nothing to choose from. We took the Grand Tour. It goes to a very nice observation site where you can see locks and ships. Like I stated before, one of the through the locks ferries got stuck behind a freighter that had trouble. Our ship had to wait an extra 2 hours for them. I heard it cost Celebrity $110K for over staying their departure time.

• Like 1

This was WAY back in 2009 when i went to Colon with an ex twice.  Once we drove across Panama on a tour, and then ended up in a boat that went through 2 of the locks, got off and finished off the tour.  A second time, we went on the Eco Tour, which, if its the same guy, he was amazing.  Panama is one of my favorite stops.  

My wife and I went on a Panama Canal cruise for our honeymoon.  It was a full transit, but it was on Celebrity.  We ended up doing the Embera Village Tour.  That was a good excursion too.

I don't think i've ever been disappointed with my visits there.  In fact, when i was planning our honeymoon, I found that many of the full transits do not even stop in Panama.

5 hours ago, baldilocks said:

Book the Grand Tour before it is sold out. You can change your mind later and book another tour if you wish. These tours go fast. Waiting to book on board the ship may leave you with nothing to choose from. We took the Grand Tour. It goes to a very nice observation site where you can see locks and ships. Like I stated before, one of the through the locks ferries got stuck behind a freighter that had trouble. Our ship had to wait an extra 2 hours for them. I heard it cost Celebrity $110K for over staying their departure time.

That's the one we have! Just disappointed it doesn't go thru the canal.