Lobster

goghd

OK.  Let's start a specific thread on LOBSTER in the MDR.  

I've been reading that it's over and I shouldn't expect any lobster dinners anymore unless I pay extra.  

Is this true why should I continue cruising with HAL? Another loss of benefits.  

Going on an 11 day cruise to the Caribbean next month.  Should I plan an off ship lunch with lobster?

Thoughts...

I believe Royal Caribbean just changed its policy. They still have a lobster night in the main dining room,. The first one’s free, but each one thereafter is supposedly $16.99 plus 18% gratuity. https://www.thestreet.com/.amp/travel/royal-caribbean-makes-a-dining-change-thats-more-severe-than-carnivals

Carnival is charging $5 per entree for the third and subsequent entrees. I don’t know about their lobster policy.

We have been onboard Rotterdam since Dec 11th, disembarking Jan 25th.

If I don't care for what's on MDR menu, I order the twin lobster tails for an extra 15 bucks. Had it again tonight with another couple. I've had the lobster at Rudys and Dressy nights (1 - 15 oz lobster) 

I honestly can't understand why someone would not sail on ANY ship just because lobster isn't free. Just like the nightly (crappy) chocolates people complain about they only get on dressy nights. 

Enjoy the cruise, experience, couples you meet, music you hear, the sound of the ocean...

And in my opinion, I love the Dover sole 10 times more than paying for the lobster.

• Like 3

I would add that if you are totally gobsmacked by a lousy warm water lobster tail, just go to your local supermarket, buy some frozen cold water lobster tails (are superior to the tails you get on a ship) and prepare them via the broiler...not the big boiling pot.  The lobster you make will be many times better and tastier than what you get on the ship.  If you want to taste truly world class Maine Lobster (we are talking a whole lobster with the amazing claw meat), just go to Kelly's Landing (off 17th street in Ft Lauderdale) before your cruise and enjoy the real thing (their lobsters come right out of the tank).

Hank

• Like 1

Absolutely funny!  If you are going on a cruise for the lobster dinners, prepare to be disappointed, especially in the MDR.  Sure, on a cruise that is selling for $650 for an outside cabin, for 11-days, I expect lobster for free!  Nuts!

From our last 14-day cruise in November on the Statendam, going through Nova Scotia, Portland and Boston, the ONLY lobster worth the $$ was the 12-oz in Rudi's.  Forget the ones in the MDR.  Not good, not good.  Even the ones in the Grill were not worth the money for the taste OR the size.  

That 12-oz'er, though..............$50 fee but all worth it.

35 minutes ago, Guardsy said:

Absolutely funny!  If you are going on a cruise for the lobster dinners, prepare to be disappointed, especially in the MDR.  Sure, on a cruise that is selling for $650 for an outside cabin, for 11-days, I expect lobster for free!  Nuts!

From our last 14-day cruise in November on the Statendam, going through Nova Scotia, Portland and Boston, the ONLY lobster worth the $$ was the 12-oz in Rudi's.  Forget the ones in the MDR.  Not good, not good.  Even the ones in the Grill were not worth the money for the taste OR the size.  

That 12-oz'er, though..............$50 fee but all worth it.

Um when we go on our first HAL cruise in the summer and it has stops in Maine, and all of the Maritime Provinces I figure lobster on the ship will be a moot point. We will be having that ashore. What is the big deal about lobster included in the fare? More often than not it is poor quality and poorly prepared.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Um when we go on our first HAL cruise in the summer and it has stops in Maine, and all of the Maritime Provinces I figure lobster on the ship will be a moot point. We will be having that ashore. What is the big deal about lobster included in the fare? More often than not it is poor quality and poorly prepared.

I was being facetious.  Given the low rates being charge for the cruises, I do NOT expect lobster.  I will say, in November, fresh lobster prices on shore were pretty high.  Generally $30 per lb.  Lobster rolls were crazy small at $25 each.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Guardsy said:

I was being facetious.  Given the low rates being charge for the cruises, I do NOT expect lobster.  I will say, in November, fresh lobster prices on shore were pretty high.  Generally $30 per lb.  Lobster rolls were crazy small at $25 each.  

I figured as much but I noticed you were in Lobster country so why would anyone a the ship care about some tropical crustacean when the real thing is readily available ashore. I can easily get east coast lobsters from the live tanks in several stores close by and dungeness crab is also in the live tanks. I would rather pay for fresh lobster than have some crappy crayfish included in the fare.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I would add that if you are totally gobsmacked by a lousy warm water lobster tail, just go to your local supermarket, buy some frozen cold water lobster tails (are superior to the tails you get on a ship) and prepare them via the broiler...not the big boiling pot.  The lobster you make will be many times better and tastier than what you get on the ship.  If you want to taste truly world class Maine Lobster (we are talking a whole lobster with the amazing claw meat), just go to Kelly's Landing (off 17th street in Ft Lauderdale) before your cruise and enjoy the real thing (their lobsters come right out of the tank).

Hank

I will be going to Kelly's for dinner Feb 10th. 

3 hours ago, Laminator said:

I will be going to Kelly's for dinner Feb 10th. 

If you have not been there before I would warn that they do not take reservations.  Just be prepared for a wait, especially on Friday and Saturday nights.  I also give a strong recommendation to their New England Clam Chowder which is just like we get up in New England.

Hank

• Like 1

I used to work in Portland, Maine occasionally. Every time I went there I would go to a local, floating restaurant called DiMillo's for their 2-lobster dinner. It was good and it was cheap. But I wouldn't expect a cruise ship to recreate that experience. It would require a massive tank of live lobsters!

I've had only a few frozen lobster tails in my life and none of them impressed me. Sounds like the Dover sole is the way to go.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Yep, we'll be hitting Stewman's in Bar Harbor for lobster rolls.  Right by the port.  Grew up in New England - when you know you know.  Also lived in the Florida Keys for a few years and caught and ate a lot of clawless, spiny, warm water lobster.  A different animal/crustacean.  Claw meat on cold water North Atlantic lobster is actually the best part.  There is some concern about the declining population which means harvesting restrictions and price increases are on the way.  Enjoy it while you can...

And just slap leather for the real thing people.  Free lobster is no bueno - frozen, Sysco lobster from the lowest price supplier.

BTW, if you do the NE/CAN itinerary do not miss the PEI mussels.  Best in the world with just a little garlic, wine, EVOO, and parsley.  More tender than the big green lips from New Zealand.