Changing rooms on the ship

irishwitchy

I’m currently on the Explorer and could only book Auckland to Sydney, followed by Sydney to Bali, hence we need to change rooms.  I have asked multiple times, what happens that day and I keep getting, the don’t worry your pretty little head look,  it will all be fine.   So what does happen that day?  Do I pack up everything?  I’m leaving the ship that morning to do something,  do I bring jewelry to registration for safe keeping?   Can we get them to dump our stuff in the new room as soon as the other people are out?  

• Like 1

We did this on the Splendor in Dec. They move everything hanging in the closet and in the closet drawers and put it in the same place in the new room. We gathered all the little stuff we had scattered around the room -- books, papers, our binocs, the repacked ditty bags from the bathroom, all the little stuff in all the not-closet drawers -- into a couple carryalls in the closet. We pulled the empty suitcases out from under the bed so they were visible.

As soon as the people are out of your old room and the steward sanitizes the safe you can lock up your safe items there.  Then you go away and let them do their thing.

They moved it all (including our half-full laundry bag) while we were out on the excursion they'd arranged for folks who were staying for the B2B (after a thorough cleaning).  They even moved the special request pillows, because I asked our old steward and he told the new steward.

If you are getting the pretty little head talk from the registration desk, have a chat with your suite steward. They're the ones who do the work, and they can explain the process for you, and introduce you to the new steward.

You might have to go over the likes/dislikes for the mini-bar and fruit bowl with the new steward.

There is an element of magic to it all. They will take care of you.

• Like 2

We also changed suites on board in December. All very straightforward.

Have a chat with your steward and the Executive Concierge.

If you are going ashore early in Sydney, check any special arrangements for getting back on board if the key card for your new suite has not yet been issued before you leave the ship.

In our experience, they move the actual drawers.  They do not take your stuff out and put it in the same drawer in the new suite.  They take the entire drawer.  They move the empty drawer from your new suite to your old suite.

• Like 1

Changed rooms on the Voyager in December. Comments above accurately portray how our move went - Easy Move.

I would add that you have to get a new key card (they expire at the end of the first leg) and do this before you leave the ship for the change-day excursion.

AND check early that both the correct excursion tickets were delivered to the new room and that YOUR account records were switched correctly to new room.

6 hours ago, DeepFreeze63 said:

I would add that you have to get a new key card (they expire at the end of the first leg) and do this before you leave the ship for the change-day excursion.

Yes, this.

The evening before, we stopped at registration for new cards with the old suite but the end date of the second leg. This was so we could reboard in case we had to meet our tour before we could get the cards for the new suite. The next morning we got new cards for the new suite before we left the ship, but if we hadn't, we'd have had to stop at registration before we could get into our new suite.

We got a packet the night before the switch with all kinds of info, and wrist bands that would allow us to bypass the question lines and walk right on. Don't forget the wrist bands (we did, but I remembered just in time to get another pair before we got off the ship).

6 hours ago, DeepFreeze63 said:

AND check early that both the correct excursion tickets were delivered to the new room

The shore team prepares these at the end of the first leg. You can get them that last day and if you want to make changes to your shore excursions for the second leg, you can do that the last day of the first leg, so you don't have to stand in line the next day with all the new guests. Make sure you check them! Our envelope had tickets for my spouse, but not for me.

Edited by RELS

On 1/22/2023 at 5:32 PM, irishwitchy said:

I did discover yesterday that I could deal with excursion changes for the second leg prior to the first leg ending, which was great to hear.  

They did not let us do this recently on Navigator.  Admittedly, I asked about it more than one day before turnover, but they should have told me to do it then if it was possible.  They said I had to wait until the next segment.