Splendour on TV.

janecambridge

You got in there before me!     I hope they will not be as horribly 'most expensive cruise ship in the world' as the programmes on Explorer were;  a bit off-putting to most Brits,  to whom it sounds like distasteful boasting.

• Like 6

I watched their recent show about Splendor's Christmas cruise, and again it leans heavily on how expensive the ship is. Plus manufactured drama, in this case "will the Christmas decorations be up in time?" You can find it on Youtube by searching for "Most Expensive Cruise Ship At Christmas 2022."

I imagine the new show will be more of the same. But the production values are good and it's always nice to see Splendor.

3 hours ago, lincslady said:

You got in there before me!     I hope they will not be as horribly 'most expensive cruise ship in the world' as the programmes on Explorer were;  a bit off-putting to most Brits,  to whom it sounds like distasteful boasting.

Yes, Lincslady...It sounds like that ("distasteful boasting") to many/most of us over in the U.S., too!

• Like 2

I watched the recent programme about Splendor and ended up fast forwarding most of it - an absolute cringe-fest containing fabricated melodramatic nonsense. The constant reference to price tagging food items, ornaments, lighting, etc, was embarrassing. I would like to have seen more of the ship rather than the cheesy wooden performances of the senior staff, and the narration was toe curling.

• Like 1

On 1/22/2023 at 11:25 PM, Huggsy said:

I watched the recent programme about Splendor and ended up fast forwarding most of it - an absolute cringe-fest containing fabricated melodramatic nonsense. The constant reference to price tagging food items, ornaments, lighting, etc, was embarrassing. I would like to have seen more of the ship rather than the cheesy wooden performances of the senior staff, and the narration was toe curling.

Totally agree. We have our first Regent cruise coming up in May and it would be so much more interesting to see the various suites, restaurants etc than the fake drama about everything! 

We’ll still watch it though! 😂

Edited by Ehg
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/22/2023 at 3:33 PM, cAPS lOCK oN said:

Plus manufactured drama, in this case "will the Christmas decorations be up in time?"

The drama actually wasn't manufactured.  We were on Splendor and the Christmas decorations were late getting to the ship.  They were supposed to arrived in Barcelona on Nov. 19 but the container didn't show up. The filming crew arrived in San Juan to video the decorations going up all around the ship.  That didn't happen.  As we disembarked on Dec. 3, we don't know how/when the decorations arrived.  

You Tube link.

We sailed Regent in November/Dec..  The crew was great as was the food.  David, Alex and Annabel pretty close to what was portrayed -- full of energy.

Yes was over dramatic (but very true on the decorations) -- but in the USA we have the Smithsonian Channel's Mighty Cruise Ships and these show are similarly bad.

Edited by PaulMCO
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ehg said:

Totally agree. We have our first Regent cruise coming up in May and it would be so much more interesting to see the various suites, restaurants etc than the fake drama about everything! 

We’ll still watch it though! 😂

Suggest you go on YouTube and type in Regent Splendor…..lots of great videos of various suites, dining venues, etc. 

• Thanks 1

Oh dear. Did not portray Regent in a good light. Felt embarrassed that we had told friends to watch it given we are booked. Spent too much time focusing on trainee host and showed guests playing Bingo and Hoopla during an enforced sea day. Failed to show off the restaurant’s and bars, food etc. Friends may wonder why we are paying so much for our cruise when we could enjoy parlour games on P&O. (Have been there, done that). All too happy to join in with quizzes, lectures, cooking demonstrations etc and I am not being a snob but I hope next weeks episode highlights the things that Regent offers, above its completion. Yes I saw the Versace plates and the Oslo trip organised for the suite guests and it was impressive. Preferred the previous cruise series.

1 hour ago, Pack Leader said:

Oh dear. Did not portray Regent in a good light. Felt embarrassed that we had told friends to watch it given we are booked.

I so agree. We have persuaded my hubby's brother and his wife to join us on Explorer in November and had said they should watch this. I was cringing last night as I watched it. Surely there should be a contingency plan in place for unexpected sea days that don't rely on Origami for two people? Hopefully future episodes will focus more on the good bits 😁

53 minutes ago, 2guysabz said:

Was really excited about our November cruise on the SS Explorer until we watched that programme.  Cringe is right. I’m not watching any more episodes! 

Hopefully it will get better. Have you watched the Explorer ones? Still a bit cringy but John was a bit better 😂😂 Are you on the Tokyo to Bangkok cruise? still be excited - Regent is fab. We were on the Navigator before Christmas and whilst she wasn't my favourite ship, I still really enjoyed the cruise.

We were on the Splendor during the filming and I actually think it is not bad and really fits with the vibe of the ship. It is an ad for life on the ship after all. I can see suites and food in other places and 30 minutes of that is a bit boring as far as I am concerned. The drama with the decorations was actually there and we did come back from a tour and the staff was madly vacuuming under the newly hung decorations! The video was a fairly actuate view of our experience on the ship for 17 days at Christmas. The video crew was only on few a few days of that tine and they managed to get us in two different settings. Crafting is not for everybody just as pickle ball isn’t. But if you enjoy doing things with your hands with a group of women, a few men sometimes and visiting it should not be missed. Annabel was a delight!

We then spent Christmas on the Navigator which we really like better, the vibe of that ship is just different. This difference comes though on the video. 

14 minutes ago, Pack Leader said:

No Greece in May. Yes, the previous series, with John was much better insight into Regent. Must be a different producer on this series. Looked like a Ghost ship. 

They were filming some staged clips as in the Christmas morning breakfast scene. The dinning room was empty. During the filming the ship was nearly full. The deck scenes were early before people were fighting for loungers that were reserved with books and towels. Wouldn’t want to film that mess.

Edited by cwn
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Techno123 said:

I'm sure the one we saw last night (first of the new series) was celebrating American Independence day (well the CD said Happy Birthday America at the end of the Atrium dance party) maybe the Christmas bits come later in the series.

See post #8 above for a preview of the Christmas episode

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, flossie009 said:

Perhaps that's why some of us are at cross purposes. The one last night was really not very good (in fact I would add I think it made Regent look boring as well as cringy 😢)

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, flossie009 said:

34 minutes ago, Techno123 said:

Perhaps that's why some of us are at cross purposes. The one last night was really not very good (in fact I would add I think it made Regent look boring as well as cringy 😢)

Well,  I was wondering what others were seeing …..Greece? crafting? They actually  filmed me in a crafting session with Annabelle but showed it out of context with nothing to do with crafting but it fit into the Christmas theme. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, cwn said:

Well,  I was wondering what others were seeing …..Greece? crafting? They actually  filmed me in a crafting session with Annabelle but showed it out of context with nothing to do with crafting but it fit into the Christmas theme. 

It's the one that is advertised at the very top of this thread. It was on Channel 5 in the UK and followed a social hostess called Lizzie who put on an origami session which kept 2 passengers occupied on a sea day. The destinations manager was trying to arrange a hot air balloon ride for the passengers in the top/one of the top suites and the CD (Lorraine?) Put on a dance party in the Atrium for American Independence Day - as Pack Leader said you saw very few passengers and very little of the ship it seemed to focus on Lizzie wanting a permanent job with Regent 😂

there are more episodes to go so I am hoping it gets better 😜

Strange compilation of disconnected scenes. We were on Splendor for the Christmas 2022 cruise and it didn't go to several of the ports shown in the movie. It was a Panama Canal cruise with Christmas Day spent in the canal. There was only one stop in the Caribbean on the way to Columbia in George Town in the Caymans. Wonder why they couldn't film the real cruise.

On 1/26/2023 at 1:28 PM, PaulMCO said:

You Tube link.

We sailed Regent in November/Dec..  The crew was great as was the food.  David, Alex and Annabel pretty close to what was portrayed -- full of energy.

Yes was over dramatic (but very true on the decorations) -- but in the USA we have the Smithsonian Channel's Mighty Cruise Ships and these show are similarly bad.

This is the video Flossie and I are talking about. It is the Splendor Christmas 2022

1 hour ago, CJANDH said:

Strange compilation of disconnected scenes. We were on Splendor for the Christmas 2022 cruise and it didn't go to several of the ports shown in the movie. It was a Panama Canal cruise with Christmas Day spent in the canal. There was only one stop in the Caribbean on the way to Columbia in George Town in the Caymans. Wonder why they couldn't film the real cruise.

video filmed starting in SJ  when the film crew boarded through sometime in the first 10 or so days in Dec. We boarded in Miami on Dec 3. The scenes, some are staged,  happened during this time. We were on the muddy tour in DR with Annabelle. That was real, as are some of the other scenes like decorating while we were on a tour, but others were staged because the film crew left before we did. We changed ships on Dec 20.. The film is supposed to show what the ship is like during the whole Christmas season.