QM2 - pools

Guppy99

First time on Cunard and scheduled for a cross-Atlantic in August on the Mary2. They have three pools that I can see. One outdoors. Another outdoors, which can be covered, and a therapy pool in the spa.   The two outdoor pools are heated.

Are they really warm  or just a little heated?  Can anyone use the therapy pool in the spa?

Is there a charge?  If there is a charge, can you purchase a week long pass?  What is the spa pool like? For those that have sailed Celebrity, is like the solarium pool?

thank you!

There are outdoor pools on deck 6 ['splash pool'] and deck 8 ['terrace pool']

The deck 12 "Pavilion pool" has a retractable roof - likely only open on warm and calm conditions [I wonder if it was open for the Suez canal transit?]

The 'thermal suite' pool on deck 7 is available as part of a spa service package [like a massage] or by purchasing a day pass. The daily price for the spa pass decreases with the number of days purchased - and the dans need no be used consecutively.  The suite also includes steam rooms and sauna, and a relaxation lounge area.

The spa pool is heated quite warm (back in November warmer than the spa's hot tub) with strong currents and bubbles. One end has loungers, the other end had two of three fountains functional. There is a round railing defining a 'hot tub' area inside the pool. 

Both the spa pool and the deck 12 pool are equipped with assistance lifts. 

12 minutes ago, TheOldBear said:

There are outdoor pools on deck 6 ['splash pool'] and deck 8 ['terrace pool']

The deck 12 "Pavilion pool" has a retractable roof - likely only open on warm and calm conditions [I wonder if it was open for the Suez canal transit?]

The 'thermal suite' pool on deck 7 is available as part of a spa service package [like a massage] or by purchasing a day pass. The daily price for the spa pass decreases with the number of days purchased - and the dans need no be used consecutively.  The suite also includes steam rooms and sauna, and a relaxation lounge area.

The spa pool is heated quite warm (back in November warmer than the spa's hot tub) with strong currents and bubbles. One end has loungers, the other end had two of three fountains functional. There is a round railing defining a 'hot tub' area inside the pool. 

Both the spa pool and the deck 12 pool are equipped with assistance lifts. 

Thank you. How warm are the outdoor and pavillion pool? Any idea what the day passes run for 6 days?

I have seen folks using the deck 6 pool on a November crossing (and the deck 8 hot tubs). I used the deck 12 and spa pools. 

I would need to check my receipts, but I think we bought a 7 day spa pass each, and used that (a day here and there) over the course of a 26 day sailing.

Deck 12 indoor pool is a magnet for kids. Doubt if you would get much serious swimming done there.

We're also joining the ship on 11 August for 14 days. 

There's a Roll Call open that you might want to join.

Edited by BigMac1953
typo

In June 2022 on a Trans Atlantic, the Pavilion Pool on deck 12 was quite cold. We swam round in circles for a while and it was bearable for that. If we stopped and stood to the side we were shivering within a few minutes. The two jacuzzi pools beside it were nice and warm.

20 minutes ago, D&N said:

In June 2022 on a Trans Atlantic, the Pavilion Pool on deck 12 was quite cold. We swam round in circles for a while and it was bearable for that. If we stopped and stood to the side we were shivering within a few minutes. The two jacuzzi pools beside it were nice and warm.

Thanks. I'm thinking the best bet is a spa therapy pool. I'm just a bobber, not a swimmer. But I just love it, especially if it's salt water. 

3 hours ago, BigMac1953 said:

Deck 12 indoor pool is a magnet for kids. Doubt if you would get much serious swimming done there.

We're also joining the ship on 11 August for 14 days. 

There's a Roll Call open that you might want to join.

Will do. This is my first trip on Cunard, and coming home after a week in Paris withmy mother and daughter.  

5 hours ago, TheOldBear said:

I have seen folks using the deck 6 pool on a November crossing (and the deck 8 hot tubs). I used the deck 12 and spa pools. 

I would need to check my receipts, but I think we bought a 7 day spa pass each, and used that (a day here and there) over the course of a 26 day sailing.

Would love to have an idea of how much it might cost.

Just now, Guppy99 said:

Would love to have an idea of how much it might cost.

Its a sliding charge with some oddities - the price for 3 days is often less than 2 times the daily price.

I think the single day rate was $35 or 40, and it was under 150 for 7 days. For a crossing, 3 or 4 days would be about right.

31 minutes ago, D&N said:

It had certainly warmed up by July - much like the weather.

The Thermo pool is fresh water.

Back in July we paid $35p/p for a 2 hour session or $140p/p for six 2 hour sessions.

Session times had to reserved. Popular times booked up fast.

I hope that they do away with the 2 hour sessions before our QM2 cruise in May.

Edited by MCC retired

The session times vanished during the M235 Norway leg of our last sailing. It seemed to be a strange decision to implement the session restrictions, as I have never noticed the spa area operating even close to their claimed capacity.

They were also back to allowing multiple uses of the days's credit on the same day [could visit early in the day, and again while the 'first seating' folks were having dinner]

1 hour ago, TheOldBear said:

Its a sliding charge with some oddities - the price for 3 days is often less than 2 times the daily price.

I think the single day rate was $35 or 40, and it was under 150 for 7 days. For a crossing, 3 or 4 days would be about right.

Perfect! In the grand scheme of things a small price to pay.  Can you reserve in advance or do you need to go to the spa upon embarkation?

2 minutes ago, Chart Room Princess said:

I paid $199 for 13 days in November on the QM2. No reservations needed.

I used in incorrect term. Can you buy the passes online in advance or do you have to go to the spa to make the purchase?

1 minute ago, Guppy99 said:

I used in incorrect term. Can you buy the passes online in advance or do you have to go to the spa to make the purchase?

On your My Cunard website you can book single days @$35 per day but no discount for multiple days and still references the 2 hour sessions.

Just wait until you board then you can also use OBC.

15 hours ago, Guppy99 said:

Perfect! In the grand scheme of things a small price to pay.  Can you reserve in advance or do you need to go to the spa upon embarkation?

If you have a reservation you will be able to see this information via logging in with your reservation number on the Cunard website. You can also purchase sessions in the spa. QE is currently still running the 2-hour session bookings for USD35. Purchase the session and book your time once on board. Can't speak specifically to the system currently in use on QM2.