Reduced port stays

NYAS

3 hours ago, osandomir said:

Would you please find out what kind of refund is offered for cancelled tours booked with the Shore excursions credit. Will it be again pretty useless Shore excursions credit only to book another ship tour or some other more flexible form of refund? This information will be very appreciated and will help to choose ship tours for our future cruises.

As far as I know, under simply more program, it's use it or lose it for shore excursions only.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, pmatawan said:

As far as I know, under simply more program, it's use it or lose it for shore excursions only.

Interesting, but it raises a question, in my case I have an upcoming cruise with $600pp SM excursion credit but spent closer to $1000pp on excursions. 

So, if they cancel a couple of excursions are they going to claim that "those were the ones paid by the SM credit" based on order of booking (or some other criteria) or will they refund up to the amount I paid in cold hard cash (by credit card obviously) since that portion has nothing to do with the SM credit?

4 hours ago, shepherd really said:

Interesting, but it raises a question, in my case I have an upcoming cruise with $600pp SM excursion credit but spent closer to $1000pp on excursions. 

So, if they cancel a couple of excursions are they going to claim that "those were the ones paid by the SM credit" based on order of booking (or some other criteria) or will they refund up to the amount I paid in cold hard cash (by credit card obviously) since that portion has nothing to do with the SM credit?

They will convert the canceled cruise excursion cost to refundable shipboard credit. 

Edited by pmatawan
Clarity
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, pmatawan said:

They are cutting our upcoming port visit by 4 hours in Manila on our Riviera cruise. A total of 14 hours affecting every port except 1. They canceled every ship tour except 1. It would t be so bad if they made these changes in advance of cruise, but we ate receiving notification only a day before cruise segment begins and only by reviewing schedule published in Currents, no other notification. No one can convince me that they can't do a better job of communicating these pre planned port reduction times well in advance. I do understand  that weather conditions can impact ship operations,  but this is not the case.

My understanding is that the port times have been altered because of a engine issue.That could be why we're moving so slowly!!

If that is the case,  the changes have been made by corporate and they should give the captain permission to inform the guests rather than have us believe the changes were made for some other reason. 

Only one of my tours was canceled when we first got on board but they have since found another operation that can work with the shortened port times. 

Edited by Queen of DaNile
Additional information
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, shepherd really said:

If you prefer experience over conjecture, you can read the following, otherwise “question” away.

we had a situation recently where O reduced port time and we found out through an updated invoice and prepurchase summary where the first tour (full day)  we had bought was cancelled.  After the dust settled, we were refunded for the value of that excursion as if we had booked it in excess of the SM entitlement.  We ended up with excess SM credits to spend.  Although communication was lacking, we were treated fairly.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 1/24/2023 at 8:49 AM, ak1004 said:

Interesting. Our cruise from Barcelona to London docks in Le Verdon, but the next one docks in Bordeaux. Same ship (Riviera). Go figure..

image.png.93616808883f8ea6640ba073d71782c8.png

image.png.6703118a4531a0465600bf7f35d26a7e.png

Bordeaux, proper, is a river cruise port.  AIUI Riviera is longer than the Garonne is wide and she would have to go stern first for 60 miles either coming or going -- even assuming she had a shallow enough draft to have not to run aground long before reaching Bordeaux. 

Methinks the June dockings are downstream at Le Verdon even if they aren't annotated "(Le Verdon)".

1 hour ago, Snaefell3 said:

Bordeaux, proper, is a river cruise port.  AIUI Riviera is longer than the Garonne is wide and she would have to go stern first for 60 miles either coming or going -- even assuming she had a shallow enough draft to have not to run aground long before reaching Bordeaux. 

Methinks the June dockings are downstream at Le Verdon even if they aren't annotated "(Le Verdon)".

When it's Le Verdon they say Bordeaux (Le Verdon).

When they say Bordeaux I believe it's actual Bordeaux.

Take a look:

https://www.cruisemapper.com/ports/bordeaux-port-3813?month=2025-06#schedule

June 6 is Oceania Vista.

40 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

When it's Le Verdon they say Bordeaux (Le Verdon).

When they say Bordeaux I believe it's actual Bordeaux.

Take a look:

https://www.cruisemapper.com/ports/bordeaux-port-3813?month=2025-06#schedule

June 6 is Oceania Vista.

Checking the Port of Bordeaux's website, I'm surprised that in addition to it's river-cruise sized berths, it has a "Maritime" port with berths big enough for Riviera

Why then, dock downriver at Le Verdon?  Bordeaux/Maritime only has 2 berths, and if Riviera is ship #3?  Alternatively, river depth might be an issue: shallow vs Riviera's 24' draft, or flooding vs her 165' air-draft -- that sort of thing puts river cruisers on busses all the time.  😞  Sympathies on your 60 mile bus ride to "real Bordeaux".

10 hours ago, pmatawan said:

They will convert the canceled cruise excursion cost to refundable shipboard credit. 

This is great news as previous posts indicated that Simply More shore excursion credit would simply go to waste if ports were cancelled or hours in port were shortened. I hope this is now official O policy across all their ships. It is only right that guests receive onboard credit to replace the shore excursion credit that they cannot use due to circumstances outside of their control.

5 hours ago, Queen of DaNile said:

My understanding is that the port times have been altered because of a engine issue.That could be why we're moving so slowly!!

If that is the case,  the changes have been made by corporate and they should give the captain permission to inform the guests rather than have us believe the changes were made for some other reason. 

Only one of my tours was canceled when we first got on board but they have since found another operation that can work with the shortened port times. 

Well, I heard that also. But the crew at reception deny there is any problems with the engine. When asked further, I was told only "operational issues", like port conflict issues. So as far as I can tell, we are not being given the truth. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eloise4Ever said:

This is great news as previous posts indicated that Simply More shore excursion credit would simply go to waste if ports were cancelled or hours in port were shortened. I hope this is now official O policy across all their ships. It is only right that guests receive onboard credit to replace the shore excursion credit that they cannot use due to circumstances outside of their control.

Caution: my response that a canceled  excursion would be returned as refundable ship board credit was in response to post that indicated the cruiser had $600. Simply more excursion credit but spent an additional $400, of his own funds to purchase excursions.

Edited by pmatawan
Typo
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, Snaefell3 said:

Checking the Port of Bordeaux's website, I'm surprised that in addition to it's river-cruise sized berths, it has a "Maritime" port with berths big enough for Riviera

Why then, dock downriver at Le Verdon?  Bordeaux/Maritime only has 2 berths, and if Riviera is ship #3?  Alternatively, river depth might be an issue: shallow vs Riviera's 24' draft, or flooding vs her 165' air-draft -- that sort of thing puts river cruisers on busses all the time.  😞  Sympathies on your 60 mile bus ride to "real Bordeaux".

We asked our guide the same question.

In addition to what you mentioned (only 2 berths, and already booked), she explained to us that there are couple of bridges that have to be lifted in order to let the ships to pass, and there are limitations how many times per day they can do (obviously locals are not happy to be stuck in traffic to let the ships to pass). Not sure if this is the case, but it makes sense. And yes, on our previous cruise we spent almost 4 hours in the bus. But our next one in 2025 Vista docks in Bordeaux and stays overnight!

1 hour ago, Eloise4Ever said:

It’s use it or lose it!

there are so many permutations of the question, I don’t feel like a three page reply. But only rarely will you ever see or expect OBC for SM bookings Igor missed ports.

Get over it . SM is simply a price increase. 😒

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ak1004 said:

But our next one in 2025 Vista docks in Bordeaux and stays overnight!

Not to be a wet blanket, but be prepared in case river levels on the Garonne in '25 bust Riviera's draft or air-draft requirements.  Here's hoping for ya! 🤞

• Like 1

7 hours ago, pmatawan said:

Well, I heard that also. But the crew at reception deny there is any problems with the engine. When asked further, I was told only "operational issues", like port conflict issues. So as far as I can tell, we are not being given the truth. 

Do you think passengers would be happier in the knowledge that the ship had ‘engine trouble’???

• Haha 1

I’m no expert on French rivers and towns, but in the fall of 19 on Marina we cruised right to the town of Bordeaux, spent the night, left that afternoon. From what I understand it’s all about the tides. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Vallesan said:

Yes I would to but not sure that everyone would like hear that there was a problem with the engines!

At least we could understand why so much time has been cut from ports.

• Like 1

On 1/23/2023 at 3:26 PM, pinotlover said:

We cruise based primarily upon itinerary. These port times cuts, along with missed ports will definitely go into the analysis of which offered itineraries are actually the best. 

Having said the above, I feel we are in a very small minority of actual Oceania cruisers. We see a large percentage of Oceania cruisers that either rarely get off the ships, or only do so for 2-3 hours, 4 max. The ship being in port 1-3 hours less has zero impact on their planned activities. They are the ones crying if their tour gets back after the Terrace closes for lunch.

I’m merely guessing Oceania knows where most of its guests are. They can save more money from reduced port times, with a majority of guests not caring. The rest of us have to figure it out.

We do not come back to Oceania after 26 cruises with them

• Like 2

11 hours ago, pinotlover said:

It’s use it or lose it!

Get over it . SM is simply a price increase. 😒

Thank you for your clarity and brevity. 

I'm really surprised that there isn't more protest about this issue though. Especially since O's tendency to skip ports or shorten port times seems to coincide with the introduction of Simply More. It's not a great look for a cruise line to be blatantly profiteering from their customers by reducing shore excursion expenses while at the same time disappointing customers by missing or shortening ports. Double whammy!

• Like 1