Alternative Ports for Peru/March Oosterdam?

FlaMariner

With the unpleasantness currently going on in Peru, if HAL decides it is not safe to dock in Peru, any thoughts on what might be in store for us on our March 17-day Santiago to  Ft Lauderdale cruise on the Oosterdam?

Right now we are scheduled for three days in Peru (Pisco & 2 days in Lima).

1423085949_ScreenShot2023-01-23at8_18_43AM.png.f6af066bdefcc370d8f94faa17efdbb4.png

There are lots of ships/cruise lines scheduled to call in Peru in the next few months.  I would go to the boards here for those lines and see if there are any reports of recent misses, or expected misses.  Azamara, Oceania, Fred Olsen, Seabourn, P&O-UK, Regent, Hapag-Lloyd, Phoenix-Reisen…. EM

There are other pretty amazing pre-Inca archeological sites to explore along Peru's coast and well away from its major cities - Chimu, Chan-Chan and Moche cultures. UNESCO World Heritage sites.  

https://www.tripsavvy.com/salaverry-and-trujillo-peru-south-america-993173

Wonder  Salaverry/Trujillo ports are  are sufficiently removed from the current upheaval to still possibly be included? Though the sad loss is a visit to the Larco Museum in Lima - loaded with wondrous Moche civilization artifacts.

Edited by OlsSalt
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

There are other pretty amazing pre-Inca archeological sites to explore along Peru's coast and well away from its major cities - Chimu, Chan-Chan and Moche cultures. UNESCO World Heritage sites.  

https://www.tripsavvy.com/salaverry-and-trujillo-peru-south-america-993173

Wonder  Salaverry/Trujillo ports are  are sufficiently removed from the current upheaval to still possibly be included? Though the sad loss is a visit to the Larco Museum in Lima - loaded with wondrous Moche civilization artifacts.

The ruins in Trujillo and remnants of the Moche culture were among the most impressive I have ever seen!  I would be thrilled to see them again. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Loreto said:

The ruins in Trujillo and remnants of the Moche culture were among the most impressive I have ever seen!  I would be thrilled to see them again. 

We dug in deep into pre-Columbian South American history before one of our trips - using  The Great Courses video lecture series, and to watch the lectures twice to sort them all out. But what a wonder and so glad we did.

Then watched the courses again when we got back. Just dazzling, considering our knowledge about this area was so very limited when we started out. We got hooked. Love hearing someone else feels the same way.

Visited this area again on the very first Madam EXC  In Depth cruise that went from Fort Lauderdale to Tahiti via Easter Island  - what a dream trip. So sorry to see those EXC  In-Depth cruises later abandoned.

One of those three places in the world where civilization spontaneously emerged:  Indus River Valley; Mesopotamia - Tigers and Euphrates  and this Pacific coastal region South America with their river valleys. The first two I had known about, but was clueless about this South American site - the wonders of travel. Inca, yes.

But the layers of grand civilizations that preceded the Inca, not a clue other than some vague fuss "mystery" about the Nazca Lines - and visitors from outer space!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, DCThunder said:

I'm hoping that if Peru become off-limits, the ship does a sail-by of the Galapagos. I know there are very strict limits on ships disembarking people on various islands, but a sail around would be nice. 

Don't know the itinerary, so I don't know the time frame allowed, but taking Manta, Ecuador, as the starting point, the Galapagos are 36 hours each way, at 20 knots.

3 hours ago, ChinaShrek said:

Easter Island is also a possibility.

Easter Island is 2625 miles from Manta, so 5.5 days at 20 knots.  And, then back to the first port in Chile would be 4 days.

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Don't know the itinerary, so I don't know the time frame allowed, but taking Manta, Ecuador, as the starting point, the Galapagos are 36 hours each way, at 20 knots.

Easter Island is 2625 miles from Manta, so 5.5 days at 20 knots.  And, then back to the first port in Chile would be 4 days.

Oh, I think I need to look at a map.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Easter Island can be a difficult port for docking (tender and anchoring) - high seas and winds. So it i best to plan two days, hoping one can get at least one day. But some ships have had to abandon this stop entirely, when the itinerary only had one shot at it.

On our Maasdam cruise a storm came up and we had to delay our arrival to safely dock the next day, but the wonderful HAL captain juggled things around to give us an extra day and sped up to reach the next port, putting two very remote island sail-bys into just one day.

The captain strongly warned NO overnights once we did anchor (tenders) because the weather was so changeable, he might have to leave and not be able to come back to pick up any overnight passengers staying ashore. They would then have to fly to Chile and arrange a later connection on their own.

One more reason HAL earned our loyalty - flexible captains who make things work, when they can make things work - no chances and safety first, but if they can make passengers happy, that  goes to the top of their lists too.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

With the unpleasantness currently going on in Peru, if HAL decides it is not safe to dock in Peru, any thoughts on what might be in store for us on our March 17-day Santiago to  Ft Lauderdale cruise on the Oosterdam?

Right now we are scheduled for three days in Peru (Pisco & 2 days in Lima).

1423085949_ScreenShot2023-01-23at8_18_43AM.png.f6af066bdefcc370d8f94faa17efdbb4.png

Lots of add'l ports in the Carib available incl. the B, C's; Bonaire and Curacao

2 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

Easter Island can be a difficult port for docking (tender and anchoring) - high seas and winds. So it i best to plan two days, hoping one can get at least one day. But some ships have had to abandon this stop entirely, when the itinerary only had one shot at it.

On our Maasdam cruise a storm came up and we had to delay our arrival to safely dock the next day, but the wonderful HAL captain juggled things around to give us an extra day and sped up to reach the next port, putting two very remote island sail-bys into just one day.

The captain strongly warned NO overnights once we did anchor (tenders) because the weather was so changeable, he might have to leave and not be able to come back to pick up any overnight passengers staying ashore. They would then have to fly to Chile and arrange a later connection on their own.

One more reason HAL earned our loyalty - flexible captains who make things work, when they can make things work - no chances and safety first, but if they can make passengers happy, that  goes to the top of their lists too.

We were on that cruise and a number of the staff and passengers did overnight on Easter Island.  When I chatted with the Captain after the stop, he was upset at the disregard for his orders.  

Yes, it was a terrific cruise and we miss the Maasdam. . .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Btimmer said:

We were on that cruise and a number of the staff and passengers did overnight on Easter Island.  When I chatted with the Captain after the stop, he was upset at the disregard for his orders.  

Yes, it was a terrific cruise and we miss the Maasdam. . .

Such a great cruise, Btimmer.  And the joke was on those who overnighted on the island,  when they watched the ship turn around and go back out to sea while they watched from the shore. Oh know, are we getting left behind???

Explained later- the airport in Easter Island made the Maasdam sail well out of of the incoming flight landing pattern since a flight from the mainland Chile was arriving that same evening. The airport was right up the hill from  the tender port.  

How welcome it must have been, even to those scofflaws, to finally see the Maasdam coming back closer to port after the flight landed.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Lots of add'l ports in the Carib available incl. the B, C's; Bonaire and Curacao

Yea, I've thought about that but does the ship have "reserved" times to go thru the canal?

Thinking any itinerary changes would be before the canal?

• 1 month later...

I am the OP.....our Oosterdam cruise is now T minus 9 days and no port changes thus far. 

News reports (or lack of news reports) indicates things have simmered down in Peru and other ships have been docking. We are "locked and loaded"......ready for our first trip to South America.

• Like 2