Question Regarding Defibrillator and Internet on Ship

Scotico

So I may need to have a defibrillator installed before my cruise coming up.  MD said it is ok to cruise after having one installed, just cannot lift anything heavy.  This device needs to stay connected to the internet through my phone for monitoring.  Are there any medical exceptions for the internet on the ship so you do not have to pay the $20 day?  I assume that I will need a medical note.  Has anyone ever heard of this?

5 minutes ago, Scotico said:

So I may need to have a defibrillator installed before my cruise coming up.  MD said it is ok to cruise after having one installed, just cannot lift anything heavy.  This device needs to stay connected to the internet through my phone for monitoring.  Are there any medical exceptions for the internet on the ship so you do not have to pay the $20 day?  I assume that I will need a medical note.  Has anyone ever heard of this?

Never heard of an exception.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Scotico said:

Please take this as a serious reply....

Do you really need 24x7 internet for monitoring?  Or is it just every so often?  Do you need a wifi password, or does it just "do its thing"?  Might be some further questions for the doctor.

I'm basing this (and in no way intend to equate them) to my CPAP that transmits info to the doctor by wifi, but isn't an issue when sailing, or it picks up wifi and does it without logging in, as I've never set up my home wifi in my machine.

Probably others will have some better, more experience based information.

In any case, OP, best of luck with your procedure (if needed).  I hope you enjoy your upcoming cruises!

2 hours ago, Scotico said:

This device needs to stay connected to the internet through my phone for monitoring

Are you sure it is Wi-Fi that you need for the AICD to connect to your phone or perhaps its transmitter uses a bluetooth connection to your mobile device that you can monitor and stores any relevant info that your cardiologist will need?  I'm sure you've looked into this, I'm just inquiring because that is how my wife's medical devices work. Hers is not an AICD, it is a seperate glucometer and insulin pump that she wears 24/7 that works via bluetooth. She has never had any issue onboard with the bluetooth connection.  Her phone stores any relevant info that she can share with her medical team at a later date if neccessary.  I know from personal experience traveling with a medical issue and with new medical devices can be challenging, but my wife is a very careful planner when it comes to her medical issues and we've always been able to enjoy our travels. 

If it is a Wi-Fi connection you need I'm not sure as others have said if RCI has a medical exemption, I'd email or contact Royal Caribbean directly to inquire.  Best of luck!

1 minute ago, JeffT237 said:

Are you sure it is Wi-Fi that you need for the AICD to connect to your phone or perhaps its transmitter uses a bluetooth connection to your mobile device that you can monitor and stores any relevant info that your cardiologist will need?  I'm sure you've looked into this, I'm just inquiring because that is how my wife's medical devices work. Hers is not an AICD, it is a seperate glucometer and insulin pump that she wears 24/7 that works via bluetooth. She has never had any issue onboard with the bluetooth connection.  Her phone stores any relevant info that she can share with her medical team at a later date if neccessary.  I know from personal experience traveling with a medical issue and with new medical devices can be challenging, but my wife is a very careful planner when it comes to her medical issues and we've always been able to enjoy our travels. 

If it is a Wi-Fi connection you need I'm not sure as others have said if RCI has a medical exemption, I'd email or contact Royal Caribbean directly to inquire.  Best of luck!

I was always under the impression that it just needed a bluetooth connection I confirmed with the medical assistant that it needs to be connected via Wi-Fi.  There is some data from the device that needs to be sent to the MD.  I also just got off the phone with a RCCL representative who informed me that I would need to bring a letter from my cardiologist that my device needs to be connected to the internet 24/7 for an exemption.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Scotico said:

I was always under the impression that it just needed a bluetooth connection I confirmed with the medical assistant that it needs to be connected via Wi-Fi.  There is some data from the device that needs to be sent to the MD.  I also just got off the phone with a RCCL representative who informed me that I would need to bring a letter from my cardiologist that my device needs to be connected to the internet 24/7 for an exemption.

If you get your letter, good for you.  Hopefully you don't need either the defib or the letter.

That said, my pacemaker is supposed to be connected to bluetooth and my phone as much as possible.  There is an app that runs 24/7 on my phone.  It only sends info via internet or phone data when there is something to report.  That could be daily but right now my phone app says I'm not scheduled to upload anything for another 5 days.  Maybe I'll give my Doc a shout about a letter myself...

39 minutes ago, deepcman said:

Seeing that internet charge will certainly stress your heart. Be careful. :classic_laugh:

5 minutes ago, sft429 said:

If you get your letter, good for you.  Hopefully you don't need either the defib or the letter.

That said, my pacemaker is supposed to be connected to bluetooth and my phone as much as possible.  There is an app that runs 24/7 on my phone.  It only sends info via internet or phone data when there is something to report.  That could be daily but right now my phone app says I'm not scheduled to upload anything for another 5 days.  Maybe I'll give my Doc a shout about a letter myself...

I would definitely get something from the cardiologist.  I was not even thinking about the connection to the internet until I mentioned to the MA that I was going on a cruise.  She stressed that I need to be connected to the internet, especially for the first few months in case any adjustments are needed.

I would get clarity as to what the 24/7 requirement actually is.  Relying on any ship's internet to be available 24/7 is a tough road to hoe.

Also, you can't just connect to ship's wifi. You need to log into your wifi account which has to be done via a browser. Does your device support that means of connecting?

1 hour ago, moposh said:

Let us know if you get the exemption.  

And the terms of the exemption if you receive one (for example if they say you will be charged for wifi if you use it for purposes other than just the defibrillator and the Royal Caribbean app)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Scotico said:

I also just got off the phone with a RCCL representative who informed me that I would need to bring a letter from my cardiologist that my device needs to be connected to the internet 24/7 for an exemption.

Unless you have it in writing and a free internet code has been added to your reservation do not expect the ship to honour what you were "told".  Shoreside staff are notorious for telling people what they want to hear to get them off the line.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Scotico said:

I think that you phone (not the device) needs wifi connectivity to tattle on you. Yes? 

If so, contact the access department and see if they will give you a wifi service. Otherwise, just buy a wifi package. Access Department at 866-592-7225

It does not make sense that an Internet connection over WiFi is required 24x7.  There are too many places you could not go because of a lack of public WiFi.  Think train, planes, and automobiles.  There is no free public internet everywhere those travel.  Hell, you cannot get cellular or WiFi in some stores I have been in, and on the Metro. 

11 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

It does not make sense that an Internet connection over WiFi is required 24x7.  There are too many places you could not go because of a lack of public WiFi.  Think train, planes, and automobiles.  There is no free public internet everywhere those travel.  Hell, you cannot get cellular or WiFi in some stores I have been in, and on the Metro. 

I was wondering about this too.  It would be mean in OP's daily life, they would have to be connected 24/7 and that isn't feasible.  And what happens when OP gets off the ship and there is no WiFi?

Wifi is often unreliable.  Recently on Jewel we were constantly knocked off and unable to reconnect in various areas. One leg of a b2B we could not connect in the cabin.

OP - if you need 24/7 reliable  WIFI, the ship may not be an option for you. Best wishes that all goes well.

M

Edited by cruisegirl1
  • Like 1