Standard balcony: enough room for somebody using a walker?

dcsam

Several years ago, we cruised with Viking.  Best cruise ever.  Back then, my husband used trekking poles for balance .  But now he uses a walker. Would the standard balcony cabin work?  Is there enough space between the bed and wall to move a walker through that area? Anybody happen to know the width of that space?   I know the penthouse cabin would most likely be a better choice.  Just want to get your thoughts.  Cost is ~ $4k more.  
   In addition, do the penthouse cabins provide unlimited alcohol?  Husband doesn’t drink, but I like to partake 😉

Thank you!

The space between the bed and closet is tight.  The other side of the bed has the 2 chairs with the coffee table in front of it and that is a tight space.  If you push the coffee table out, then you won't be able to pull out the desk chair.  The coffee table can always be moved into the corner separating the 2 chairs kind of into an L shape.  That would open the space up.  A Penthouse Veranda would work much better.  The alcohol in the PV fridge is replaced once a day and you can request the kind you want.  It's 4 little airline size bottles and 2 beers I recall plus the sodas.

Thank you for that information.  At this point, I’m leaning more towards the penthouse.  He’d  probably spend a bit more time in the cabin than we did with our first Viking cruise (booked lowest category).  It was fine then, but priorities have changed a bit.  
I know the space between the bed and closet (in lowest category) is very tight.  But what about the space between the end of the bed and that wall?  I simply don’t recall if it’s wide enough for a walker. 
Thanks again

Some of the DV cabins have a post in the wall so that the space at the end of the bed is even narrower.  We had one of those cabins.  We had to turn sideways to get past the post.  I would guess that even without that post it would be really tight.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, dcsam said:

Thank you, dd57!  Decision made. We have a hold on a penthouse.  🙂

Good for you  Your husband will do fine in the PV stateroom and I think the balcony  is a little bigger. Enjoy your Viking  cruise.

3 hours ago, dcsam said:

Thank you for that information.  At this point, I’m leaning more towards the penthouse.  He’d  probably spend a bit more time in the cabin than we did with our first Viking cruise (booked lowest category).  It was fine then, but priorities have changed a bit.  
I know the space between the bed and closet (in lowest category) is very tight.  But what about the space between the end of the bed and that wall?  I simply don’t recall if it’s wide enough for a walker. 
Thanks again

Looking at the space between the end of the bed and credenza.  Yes, there is enough space to get a standard Walker through there.  However, on this cruise I have seen a few walkers that seem wider than normal.

I agree with others that you’ve made a great choice upgrading to a Penthouse Veranda, and that you need one with a slider.  We found the hinged door difficult to use.  I can’t imagine dealing with it with a walker.  

I hope you have a wonderful cruise!

WoW!  Great information. Thank you!  I looked at the different layouts (door verses slider).  I'm not sure it would make too much difference for us since I would help him in and out of either door scenario. Looks like ours will be the door.  Any actual benefits to the door (i.e., more light...)?  But I'll call Viking today and check out slider options.  

We just got off the Viking Sea a couple days ago and this cruise was the first time we have not had a slider and I really did NOT like having that small window and the skinny door. This was our 6th ocean cruise and I just forgot to look at the door type. 

There is so much more to see with the sliders. 

You might also take into consideration whether the PV room is a slider or a door.  We've had both.  The room with a door is a little tight to balcony.  Here's a shot we had that show's a bit of that.  There are lists of rooms that show sliders and doors for PV's.  And yes, the balconies on PV's are indeed longer (same depth)  Hopefully this will give you a feel.  Enjoy your trip!

705661008_IMG_6892PV1RoomwithDoor-PV1.thumb.JPG.316740dddb9a33304298bb7b8de03b65.JPG

Decks 4-5-6 with Sliders.pdf

Edited by CCWineLover

We actually prefer not  having a slider as with the other option you can sit on the sofa and look out .You cannot do this with a slider as the settee is in the corner with a wall at the balcony side if I remember correctly.

• Like 1

One thing to consider is corridor width. When the housekeeping carts are out there's only a 20inch gap at the floor  (measured from how much my wheelchair needs to be folded so may not be completely accurate) 

The handrail further reduces the gap, probably by about 4in.

The restaurants will be tight but should be doable, ask for accessable seating in good time. 

If you notify viking of your mobility difficulty they will reserve an accessible seat for you at the muster drill