Long shot for info on the Zaandam

Quilterme7

Boo hoo...so many hours spent on this wonderful, intimate ship. Your photo brings back so many great memories, sitting in that very spot.

Sorry, no idea who the plate artist or manufacturer was. Might be worth contacting hAL directly because art work and often very good ceramic art and tile work has been a HAL signature on their older ships.

There used to be taped "art tours" for HAL ships - you could walk around the ship and learn about various installations. Maybe searching the historic articles about the Zaandam might reveal info about her onboard art? Each of these R class ships had a particular decorating theme at one time.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Quilterme7 said:

Does anyone know who the artist is for these plates which are on the wall near the bar on the lido deck?  I know it's a long shot but thought I would ask.  Thanks in advance.

Fish plates Zaandam.jpg

If you notice, on the lower right  of the yellow ochre plate, there is a metal plate that would identify the artist.  As an artist myself, I loved the recorded walking tour of the ship artwork, and always took note of the plaque that identified the date and artist.  I will be on the Zaandam next month.

• Like 1

Thanks so much for the Art Tour link - fun to listen do while doing some other chores. And there it was!

Minute 20:00 on the MP3 Art Walk - Dutch artist "Jan Schnook" (?) - who is a woman, so that may need a spelling correction - four plates part of an 8 plate collection - she apparently does happy animals. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, mwj said:

Saw that website too - but this artist is in Montana, not Holland. And the style does not look the same. But what a coincidence - animals and what sounds like the same  name. Such a brief discussion of the artist on the Art Talk but sounded like this was a well known artist, but in Holland?

Hope someone from the Netherlands can offer us some more insight and others listen to the tape at the 20 minute mark to see if they can get a clearing read on the artists name because this very work was clearly discussed on the tour - Deck 8 - Lido Deck, poolside by the bar.

18 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

Was on her last year! Loved the plates and I am also an artist and had to take pictures of the work!

🌺Mahalo Denise

Congratulations!  You solved the mystery🙂...I hope the OP checks in.  The art on HAL ships is amazing.  Years ago HAL sent me their book, The Art of Cruising, about the HAL art collection, as a thank you....I was thrilled to receive it!

• Like 1

Great sleuthing!

I just dug out the printed "Art & antiquities of the ms Zaandam" from the 2022 Grand Africa Voyage.

"Eight Plates with Fishes and Sea-Animals" by Jan Snoeck (b. 1927)

These ceramic plates, with polychrome decoration, express the artist's desire to deform daily and ordinary commodities to fantastic creatures.

Barbara

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, bcummin said:

Great sleuthing!

I just dug out the printed "Art & antiquities of the ms Zaandam" from the 2022 Grand Africa Voyage.

"Eight Plates with Fishes and Sea-Animals" by Jan Snoeck (b. 1927)

These ceramic plates, with polychrome decoration, express the artist's desire to deform daily and ordinary commodities to fantastic creatures.

Barbara

This artist also looks like the source for some of the quirky tile work art found on the afterdeck pools on some of these smaller ships.

Instead of me asking .."what were they thinking" after seeing the cows, and people as benches .... now we know! A well loved Dutch contemporary artist - who has fun with whimsy. Thank you HAL for giving him this unique showcase. 

• Like 3

On 1/24/2023 at 2:18 PM, Loreto said:

If you notice, on the lower right  of the yellow ochre plate, there is a metal plate that would identify the artist.  As an artist myself, I loved the recorded walking tour of the ship artwork, and always took note of the plaque that identified the date and artist.  I will be on the Zaandam next month.

Hi!  If you think about it, would you snap a picture of the artist plate?  I would be so grateful!  

4 hours ago, Quilterme7 said:

Hi!  If you think about it, would you snap a picture of the artist plate?  I would be so grateful!  

It was already posted, in post #12. Isn't that what you are asking for? 

• 3 weeks later...