Where to find port information

11 minutes ago, college buddy said:

Can anyone please let me know how I find forums on different ports and what to do in the local areas. Particularly interested in Croatia 

I've always found this helpful as a starting point. Just add the port name, ie Zadar, Split, Dubrovnik or wherever.

https://www.whatsinport.com/

• Like 1

Wikitravel ( wikitravel.org ) is a good source of tourist information. World maps ( https://ontheworldmap.com/ ) have a good supply of free downloadable printable maps. Don't rely on P&O, they no longer issue paper port guides and their downloadable ones are about as much use as a chocolate teapot!

Edited by Denarius
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree with the first two and Denarius's suggestion is a new one to me which sounds very useful, so will be exploring that myself :).  I also agree that you do not get anything from P&O now and also the bigger ports are not always as good as they were previously providing information, though that does vary.

When going anywhere, I also use Google Earth a lot.  Apart from giving a clear view of the area, Street View is useful to go into if you are looking at getting from one place to another, (e.g. from the port to a specific location).  I often go for "walks" on Google Earth.

The Cruise Critic ports if call section does cover all areas of the world, not just the Med section which you can access on the link given previously.  Trip advisor forums are often worth using as well for the less visited ports, which do not figure much on the CC boards, though P&O tend to only call at the well visited ports.

Edited by tring
  • Like 2

Is there anywhere on the P&O website showing the possible excursions for each port before you book a cruise?  I’ve never thought about it before, and just view the excursions for our booked cruises. They give ideas of things to do independently. 

7 hours ago, tring said:

I agree with the first two and Denarius's suggestion is a new one to me which sounds very useful, so will be exploring that myself :).  I also agree that you do not get anything from P&O now and also the bigger ports are not always as good as they were previously providing information, though that does vary.

When going anywhere, I also use Google Earth a lot.  Apart from giving a clear view of the area, Street View is useful to go into if you are looking at getting from one place to another, (e.g. from the port to a specific location).  I often go for "walks" on Google Earth.

The Cruise Critic ports if call section does cover all areas of the world, not just the Med section which you can access on the link given previously.  Trip advisor forums are often worth using as well for the less visited ports, which do not figure much on the CC boards, though P&O tend to only call at the well visited ports.

Your Cruise Guide to 1200 ports of call is a brilliant site.

Tom's Port Guides are very detailed (we print off the bits which are relevant plus maps) but don't cover all areas.  There is one for Dubrovnik but I think that may be the only one in Croatia.  But maybe helpful for different destinations another time.

https://www.google.com/search?q=toms+port+guide+dubrovnik&oq=toms+port+guide+dubrovnik&aqs=chrome..69i57j0i22i30j0i390l2.12093j0j8&client=tablet-android-samsung&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

• Like 1

On 1/24/2023 at 9:58 PM, college buddy said:

Can anyone please let me know how I find forums on different ports and what to do in the local areas. Particularly interested in Croatia 

Which ports in particular? 

I've reviews on three, here's the one for Dubrovnik, just click the link....

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2013/09/05/one-way-to-do-dubrovnik/

1333864076_DubrovnikPanoramafromLovrijenricFortress.thumb.jpg.563cbdfbac38480391f5f69fc4d391a3.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2023 at 9:24 PM, ep1080 said:

Sorry, I have not travelled for a while( Covid). What does P&O means ?

Also, how do I start a new topic ?

P&O is a cruise line. 

"Peninsular & Orient Steam Navigation Co", about 100 years ago the largest shipping fleet in the world, both cargo & passenger vessels. Decimated by two world wars, the slimming down of the British Empire, the rise of Asian fleets, and financial upheavals. About 30 years ago what was left of the company was split into two - P&O for cruise ships and P&O Ferries.

P&O have half a dozen cruise ships, which cater mainly for Brit cruisers. It bought out Princess Cruises in the 1970's, and the whole P&O group was bought out by Carnival in the early noughties so P&O are now a very British cruise line with American masters and Princess is kinda mid-Atlantic.

History lesson ends, technology lesson starts 😏.

Go to the appropriate forum

Click on the blue box "Start new topic" on the right above the questions, to bring up the page for starting a topic

Make sure you first put in a title - if you forget the title will automatically show just your name.

Then put in your question (best to put in full relevant information of your circumstances & needs.

Then click on the blue box near the bottom "Submit topic"

Job done

JB 🙂

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/27/2023 at 4:02 AM, kruzseeka said:

Tom's Port Guides are very detailed (we print off the bits which are relevant plus maps) but don't cover all areas.  There is one for Dubrovnik but I think that may be the only one in Croatia.  But maybe helpful for different destinations another time.

https://www.google.com/search?q=toms+port+guide+dubrovnik&oq=toms+port+guide+dubrovnik&aqs=chrome..69i57j0i22i30j0i390l2.12093j0j8&client=tablet-android-samsung&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

I love Tom's Port Guides.  They're outdated, but a great resource.  I also like CruiseCrocodile, although the ports covered by that site is a bit limited.