Covid tests 3 days prior or 72 hours

Jemnibabe

51 minutes ago, nini said:

Incorrect. It is 3 days. Some guidelines state 72 hours and as others have said, time zones can be tricky.

Where are you going? Princess website is not keeping up with the times. Fore example, there are currently NO requirements for vaccines or testing for Australia or New Zealand.

Yes, I do understand that this covid is a moving target.

I am doing Hawaii/South Pacific.  Are there no longer 72 hours within 3 days?  And exactly when does the 3 days begin?  If we leave on the 17th and get on board at noon, then that would only be 2 and a half days.  Do you begin the 3 days on the 14th or 15th?  Don't you think that is getting just a bit niot-picky?  I need to get my test on the 14th since I am flying to LA on the 15th.  

19 minutes ago, Jemnibabe said:

I am doing Hawaii/South Pacific.  Are there no longer 72 hours within 3 days?  And exactly when does the 3 days begin?  If we leave on the 17th and get on board at noon, then that would only be 2 and a half days.  Do you begin the 3 days on the 14th or 15th?  Don't you think that is getting just a bit niot-picky?  I need to get my test on the 14th since I am flying to LA on the 15th.  

I am so sorry that I was not clear. Your original question was if the 3 days could be also be seen as 72 hours. Here is your quote:

"The language for getting a covid test 3 days prior to your cruise could also been seen as 72 hours, correct?  There are several different opinions of this andf I say it's 72 hours prior.  What say you?"

Therefore, my answer was that no, that is incorrect. The 3 days and 72 hours are very different in the covid testing world.

And jeeez... of course technically 3 full days are 72 hours. In the last year, cruises were quite clear about testing and selected to use the number of days versus the number of hours.

Now I will answer your question about when the 3 days begin. It was quite the topic of conversation last year. I only know that because we were on two cruises last year.

If your ship departs on a Sunday, you can test beginning on Thursday. You can test beginning at 12:01 am on Thursday which will technically be MORE than 72 hours by the time you are actually boarding your ship on Sunday. And this is why the number of days has more comfort space in it.

So, if you board on the 17th, you may test as early as 12:01 am on the 14th.

I hope this helps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

16 minutes ago, nini said:

I am so sorry that I was not clear. Your original question was if the 3 days could be also be seen as 72 hours. Here is your quote:

"The language for getting a covid test 3 days prior to your cruise could also been seen as 72 hours, correct?  There are several different opinions of this andf I say it's 72 hours prior.  What say you?"

Therefore, my answer was that no, that is incorrect. The 3 days and 72 hours are very different in the covid testing world.

And jeeez... of course technically 3 full days are 72 hours. In the last year, cruises were quite clear about testing and selected to use the number of days versus the number of hours.

Now I will answer your question about when the 3 days begin. It was quite the topic of conversation last year. I only know that because we were on two cruises last year.

If your ship departs on a Sunday, you can test beginning on Thursday. You can test beginning at 12:01 am on Thursday which will technically be MORE than 72 hours by the time you are actually boarding your ship on Sunday. And this is why the number of days has more comfort space in it.

So, if you board on the 17th, you may test as early as 12:01 am on the 14th.

I hope this helps.

Brain freeze and dealing with the remains of Hurricane Ian  has caused my critical thinking to be lacking.  Sorry.  Actually, you gave me a wonderful answer anyway.  Thanks again

Our first cruise after the shutdown we went to Alaska. At the time Princess said 3 days for testing , but Canada (and ArriveCan) said 72 hrs before boarding. Everyone was in a tizzy. What if you test at 11am, but then don’t actually get on the ship until noon??!!  I changed my testing time twice, and in the end they barely even glanced at my test results.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/26/2023 at 10:30 AM, PacnGoNow said:

Here’s a list for now.  Testing requirements really can vary in these too.

https://www.princess.com/protocol/?voyage=enhanced

Thanks for posting this. We are on the Magestic 9/10/23 out of Whittier and I didn't see anything about covid testing even though we end up our cruise in Vancouver.  

17 hours ago, ImperialLady said:

Thanks for posting this. We are on the Magestic 9/10/23 out of Whittier and I didn't see anything about covid testing even though we end up our cruise in Vancouver.  

Canada has dropped everything. You do not even have to complete the ArriveCan anymore.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Jemnibabe said:

Brain freeze and dealing with the remains of Hurricane Ian  has caused my critical thinking to be lacking.  Sorry.  Actually, you gave me a wonderful answer anyway.  Thanks again

No problem. I hope all is well after the hurricane.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, travellingnana said:

Our first cruise after the shutdown we went to Alaska. At the time Princess said 3 days for testing , but Canada (and ArriveCan) said 72 hrs before boarding. Everyone was in a tizzy. What if you test at 11am, but then don’t actually get on the ship until noon??!!  I changed my testing time twice, and in the end they barely even glanced at my test results.

same here....they didn't even look at our just asked if we filled it out!

20 hours ago, ImperialLady said:

correcting the date..it's the 9th..too many dates floating around in my head🤭

So now I am TOTALLY confused (not hard to do).  Received a recent invoice for an enhanced cruise down the line.

Before this, it was a PCR, proctored rapid antigen, or even self test 72 hours and/or 3 days before (whichever invoice/web site your read).

In addition, guests ages 5 and above must produce at check-in a photo of their negative self-administered COVID-19 Rapid Antigen Test taken within one day before cruise embarkation with a time and date stamp. Please note that testing and self-tests will not be available at the pier. Face masks will be required indoors on board for guests 5 years and older. It is strongly recommended all guests are up to date with their COVID-19 and Influenza vaccinations before travel. Review health and safety information at https://bit.ly/pcl_chfaq.

Princess needs to stop confusing me.  I won't even get into the "non mentioned" documents that a passenger needs to fill out.

32 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

So now I am TOTALLY confused (not hard to do).  Received a recent invoice for an enhanced cruise down the line.

Before this, it was a PCR, proctored rapid antigen, or even self test 72 hours and/or 3 days before (whichever invoice/web site your read).

In addition, guests ages 5 and above must produce at check-in a photo of their negative self-administered COVID-19 Rapid Antigen Test taken within one day before cruise embarkation with a time and date stamp. Please note that testing and self-tests will not be available at the pier. Face masks will be required indoors on board for guests 5 years and older. It is strongly recommended all guests are up to date with their COVID-19 and Influenza vaccinations before travel. Review health and safety information at https://bit.ly/pcl_chfaq.

Princess needs to stop confusing me.  I won't even get into the "non mentioned" documents that a passenger needs to fill out.

What?

Who is this invoice from?  PCL or your TA?

What enhanced are you on?  
This sounds like just the upload info for the wellness check on the App?

Now, it’s open to upload a photo 48 hours before. 

Edited by PacnGoNow
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

What?

Who is this invoice from?  PCL or your TA?

What enhanced are you on?  
This sounds like just the upload info for the wellness check on the App?

Now, it’s open to upload a photo 48 hours before. 

Yes....Exactly my reaction when I received the forwarded email from my TA that she received from Princess yesterday.  

I'm on a Diamond Princess out of Japan.

Trying to comprehend exactly what is needed.  This is my interpretation:

1.  Take a self-administered (over the counter) Rapid Antigen (Home/free) Test

2.  One day (24 hours or calendar day) before embarkation

3.  Take a photo of a negative test results (the card/or test device)

4.  With a time and date stamp (how do you do that?).

5.  Would this image from my phone suffice?  The sample includes:  image/date/time.  It is an over the counter test/not proctored.

It also mentions that testing/test kits will not be available at the port.

There is no mention of identification documents.  

produce at check-in a photo of their negative self-administered COVID-19 Rapid Antigen Test taken within one day before cruise embarkation with a time and date stamp.

sample-1.thumb.jpeg.9c67980156698611921b60fd11d02a34.jpeg

Edited by cr8tiv1

22 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Yes....Exactly my reaction when I received the forwarded email from my TA that she received from Princess yesterday.  

I'm on a Diamond Princess out of Japan.

Trying to comprehend exactly what is needed.  This is my interpretation:

1.  Take a self-administered (over the counter) Rapid Antigen (Home/free) Test

2.  One day (24 hours or calendar day) before embarkation

3.  Take a photo of a negative test results (the card/or test device)

4.  With a time and date stamp (how do you do that?).

5.  Would this image from my phone suffice?  The sample includes:  image/date/time.  It is an over the counter test/not proctored.

It also mentions that testing/test kits will not be available at the port.

There is no mention of identification documents.  

produce at check-in a photo of their negative self-administered COVID-19 Rapid Antigen Test taken within one day before cruise embarkation with a time and date stamp.

sample-1.thumb.jpeg.9c67980156698611921b60fd11d02a34.jpeg

Yes the time date is at the top of your photo.  If it were me, I’d place my passport pic page or Dr lis and a piece of paper with name/date/time next to it.

Cover all bases!  😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

How far out is this cruise anyway?

25 minutes ago, Jemnibabe said:

How far out is this cruise anyway?

A couple of months. But I think it has changed 3 or 4 times since I booked it. Won’t stress until it gets closer.  Waiting for those “who cruise before me.  Where no (wo)man has gone before” ….haha.

• Haha 1