Recent Pricing

GSPG

I am aware that Celebrity have had this 75% off the second guest offer for some while now, but the overall price has gone up!

A breakdown of two people averaging say £3k for a £6k total shows the first person’s occupancy at c£5k.

I am sure this first person’s pricing has gone through the roof.

Either they don’t want single people on board, but either way feel very uncomfortable how this price has been hiked.

They’ll come a time when Joe Customer says no!

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, GSPG said:

You are likely correct.  However, reading the earnings call statements from the various corporations (Not just RCG by any stretch), there's a recurrent theme. 

The feeling of the cruise companies is that they have priced themselves too LOW, as a response to the COVID shutdown, and that pricing on cruises is currently running at about 25 to 33% below similar land-based vacation alternatives.  They look forward to attempting to correct this perceived imbalance.  While the customer may say "no" at some point, they are currently saying "yes" in droves.  All the cruise lines are reporting repetitive breaking of booking records.  As long as that continues, we can all look forward to prices increasing. 

Of course since we have Cruise Critic to keep us informed, we all know that cruising is now akin to a punishment, with passengers being held captive on poorly maintained vessels, and charged exorbitant fees for food that's unfit to eat; or that is being withheld entirely.  Meanwhile the ignorant masses unaware of our "insider knowledge" continue to see cruise vacations as a bargain when compared to other options, and are booking now ahead of the price increases you have correctly identified as having begun.

The truth is I must be one of the dummies.  I've got 8 cruises booked, and if anything catches my eye, there will be more.  Oh when will I learn?

Harris

Denver, CO

Edited by omeinv
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

It is really interesting.  The big three have a lot of debt to payoff and they got terrible rates to start with, if they have to refinance they are really going to get screwed.  I keep wondering about a few things, the new mega ships coming online, the amount of FCC that still has to move thru the system, all the baby boomers in the US with RMD's coming, there are just a lot more people with more disposable income, really all over the world.   (I've got two cruises booked.)

Edited by rmalbers

On 1/25/2023 at 1:17 PM, GSPG said:

I am aware that Celebrity have had this 75% off the second guest offer for some while now, but the overall price has gone up!

A breakdown of two people averaging say £3k for a £6k total shows the first person’s occupancy at c£5k.

I am sure this first person’s pricing has gone through the roof.

Either they don’t want single people on board, but either way feel very uncomfortable how this price has been hiked.

Celebrity has always charged Double for a Solo Guest and as I sometime travel Solo I pay that. The only up side is everything Else only cost me Half what I pay with the DW along........

In my experience most “sales” wind up with the same final price it’s simply presented differently.  You’ll have more luck finding sailings that aren’t selling well and hopefully there will be true price reductions to fill up the ship.

As far as the current sale it doesn’t appeal to me as I really have no use for a lot of shipboard credit.  I’d prefer they discount the price and let me spend $ onboard as I see fit.  

• Like 2

We only book Sky Suites with Celebrity for the more premium experience. However future Sky Suites pricing has gone to the ridiculous. Our Edge New Zealand cruise in January 2024 is now, even with the current sale, $2000pp higher than when we booked in February 2022. After 2024 we are looking at Oceania for our premium cruises, including one already booked for South America.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was just on the Eclipse, and as my usual routine went to book a future cruise onboard.  I laughed at the prices they were citing for their upcoming cruises.  They wanted over $3k for 7 day in an interior cabin in the Med for spring of 2024.  I wasn't even booking as a solo.  IMO they have priced themselves out of the market for me personally.  I will wait to see if they have last minute price reductions, but I'm not holding my breath. FWIW I've got two Princess cruises booked at prices I am happy with for each of their respective lengths, 7 and 14 days. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, dreams_of_travel said:

I was just on the Eclipse, and as my usual routine went to book a future cruise onboard.  I laughed at the prices they were citing for their upcoming cruises.  They wanted over $3k for 7 day in an interior cabin in the Med for spring of 2024.  I wasn't even booking as a solo.  IMO they have priced themselves out of the market for me personally.  I will wait to see if they have last minute price reductions, but I'm not holding my breath. FWIW I've got two Princess cruises booked at prices I am happy with for each of their respective lengths, 7 and 14 days. 

I agree about them pricing themselves out currently and it will be quite ‘interesting’ to see their next moves. Emptier ships perhaps although with people paying more it may offset any shortfall in revenue.

Not exactly encouraging people back though is it, and so I understand the company’s make so much money from passengers paying for excursions and additional items and services bought on the ship.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, GSPG said:

I agree about them pricing themselves out currently and it will be quite ‘interesting’ to see their next moves. Emptier ships perhaps although with people paying more it may offset any shortfall in revenue.

Not exactly encouraging people back though is it, and so I understand the company’s make so much money from passengers paying for excursions and additional items and services bought on the ship.

The problem is the prices are way up and so too are future bookings. The bean counters will see this and keep increasing prices when cruise bookings continue to rise. The new Celebrity marketing campaign should be "get less for more on Celebrity".

• Like 5

We were just on the 1/15 sailing on Beyond and were surprised that there were only 2100 passengers on board. I expected a brand new ship to be nearer to capacity. 

We went to the Future Cruise Desk and for the first time in years we didn't book another cruise.  The prices were just so high.  We weren't looking at the Edge class so we were very surprised. 

We had a sunset veranda on the Beyond.  Previously we had the infinite veranda and don't want to book one again. The SV was wonderful but I don't really want to pay those kinds of prices in order to sail on Edge class. I  do have another Beyond cruise booked to the Panama Canal and paid a lot last year to get the SV but justified it because it is a bucket list cruise. However going forward I would be happy with S or M class if they ever bring the prices back down.

• Like 3

On 1/28/2023 at 8:56 AM, RickT said:

In my experience most “sales” wind up with the same final price it’s simply presented differently.

I think savvy cruisers have all caught on to fact that cruise line "sales" usually require quotation marks😏

• Like 1

We like both all-inclusive land vacations as well as cruising on different lines, which is why we will never qualify for any cruise line's "Elite" category.  I have been pricing some all-inclusive for the future and I find some of the Punta Cana ones quite competitive with what I'm seeing on Celebrity.

Edited by Chardonnay Char

On 1/29/2023 at 7:39 AM, cruzfiend said:

I was just able to get the single supplement taken off for my Alaska cruise from Princess. Saved over $1100. 😃

I took advantage of that same offer Last August but my experience on Princess convinced me I would never sail with them again. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Spurschick said:

Find me a cruise line that hasn’t gone up.

I just quoted a guest a 4 person standard balcony on Adventure RC for a  5 night sailing at $13,500

i can get retreat class for less than that!!,

Exactly.  All forms of travel have gone up tho finally noticing a little better on airline rates overall.  My next few cruises are booked thru travel agents, not big box ones,  that offered great group rates.  Much less than celebrity site and with additional obc.  It’s all about doing some research   I do both land ALL inclusive and cruises.  

57 minutes ago, bikerunner said:

All forms of travel have gone up tho finally noticing a little better on airline rates overall

Right about airlines cost, business class seat from the US to Europe are double this summer over last summer.

8 hours ago, terrydtx said:

Right about airlines cost, business class seat from the US to Europe are double this summer over last summer.

Haven’t looked at Europe lately was just noticing in the states as I had to book a bunch for work and other travel.  My flights I do to Austin and fll and others are stabilized.   I will need to look at European next few months as have an April 24 transatlantic I need to get home from eventually.  Staying in Italy about 2 weeks after cruise. 

1 hour ago, bikerunner said:

Haven’t looked at Europe lately was just noticing in the states as I had to book a bunch for work and other travel.  My flights I do to Austin and fll and others are stabilized.   I will need to look at European next few months as have an April 24 transatlantic I need to get home from eventually.  Staying in Italy about 2 weeks after cruise. 

Last August we flew to Rome and home from Venice for business for about $2400pp, this year in September we are booked Business to Amsterdam and home from Athens for about $4400pp, that is a huge increase. In 2021 we flew First class from San Antonio to FLL RT for a cruise and paid $989pp this year in June we are paying $1300pp for FC.

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

Last August we flew to Rome and home from Venice for business for about $2400pp, this year in September we are booked Business to Amsterdam and home from Athens for about $4400pp, that is a huge increase. In 2021 we flew First class from San Antonio to FLL RT for a cruise and paid $989pp this year in June we are paying $1300pp for FC.

I’m heading to Austin in March and going to be looking at places in San Marcos new braunfulds areas.  Sick of winter.