Coral Princess to Tasmania, 16th to 26th January

We were advised that boarding would be delayed by one hour. This was because the previous cruise had several cases of COVID. Needless to say, when we arrived at 12.45 for our 1pm embarkation, there were people everywhere. Embarkation was very slow.

I have booked on the world cruise and was pleased that there was a large group of world cruisers on this particular voyage. We were able to meet up and went to the MDR for lunch on our first sea day.

We had been allocated an accessible balcony cabin although we don't require one. It was fantastic to have the extra space and the large balcony, but the drainage of water from the shower was a problem. It flowed out under the door and wet the carpet in the cabin. I spent a lot of time with towels, trying to soak up the water by stomping on the towels. We heard a maintenance man on board telling our next door neighbour that all that type of cabin had that problem and that they 'couldn't do anything'. We were told to just use towels. My husband constructed a little dam wall using a trivia pencil and duct tape to close off the approx 3cm wide gap that allowed the water to flow out. The shower water was then diverted to where it should go. It wouldn't be difficult for the on-board engineers to glue a length of plastic of metal to divert the water. This is in an area where no-one would or even could walk.

Our first port of call was Sydney. The early morning sail-in was magical with the sun lighting up the tall buildings, and reflections in the still waters of the harbour completing the scene. I went for a long walk around the harbour. The next day (Thursday 19th - day 3) we all had to take a RAT test. I was reliably informed that only a handfull of cases were detected. I walked past all of the cabins on decks 12, 11 and 10 and saw indications of only one 'COVID cabin'. It was on deck 12. Someone mentioned that there were a few cabins quarantined off on deck 8.

After leaving Sydney, we had some extremely windy weather that meant we couldn't go out on the promenade deck. It was too windy to enjoy our balcony for a day or so.

By day 3 to 4, I found that the water was having a rather drastic effect on my innards so I reduced my intake of water in the dining room as well as from the tap in the cabin. I drank the bottles of water in the cabin, then the sparkling water, then the tonic water and was even considering drinking Coke, when I was able to get more bottled water. I had a live chat with a Princess rep today about the price of water on board and the answers seemed crazy. She said there would be bottles in the cabin to buy (there weren't), we could take on water but nothing larger than 750ml, it had to be factory sealed and was limited to one pp per day. For quite a while this Princess rep wouldn't give me any on-board prices and said I would have to speak to my Travel Agent. Eventually she told me that the water on board was $3 for a 500 ml bottle, but it could vary. I would need a few of these a day. I will find out more before our next cruise. In the chat she then informed me that I couldn't take food ashore. Duh!! I didn't need to know that.

Our Tassie ports were switched around because another ship was in Hobart when we were due to be there. One good result was that our visit to Hobart was on a Saturday - Salamanca Markets Day!! I walked to the markets, then looked at all of the couple of hundred stalls. I was very restrained in my purchasing. Back to the ship. The next day was Port Arthur where we went ashore by tender. I walked all around the site but I have to confess, because this was the second very active day in a row, I did consider getting a ride part of the way on one of the complimentary golf carts that ran constantly. Anyway, there wasn't one when I wanted it, so I continued on foot, even though my knees protested.

Our next day was scenic cruising off the Freycinet National Park. The ships can't go into Wineglass Bay, but the scenery was lovely.

We sailed back to Brisbane, arriving at the BICT on time on Thursday 26th Jan.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

We were advised that boarding would be delayed by one hour. This was because the previous cruise had several cases of COVID. Needless to say, when we arrived at 12.45 for our 1pm embarkation, there were people everywhere. Embarkation was very slow.

I have booked on the world cruise and was pleased that there was a large group of world cruisers on this particular voyage. We were able to meet up and went to the MDR for lunch on our first sea day.

We had been allocated an accessible balcony cabin although we don't require one. It was fantastic to have the extra space and the large balcony, but the drainage of water from the shower was a problem. It flowed out under the door and wet the carpet in the cabin. I spent a lot of time with towels, trying to soak up the water by stomping on the towels. We heard a maintenance man on board telling our next door neighbour that all that type of cabin had that problem and that they 'couldn't do anything'. We were told to just use towels. My husband constructed a little dam wall using a trivia pencil and duct tape to close off the approx 3cm wide gap that allowed the water to flow out. The shower water was then diverted to where it should go. It wouldn't be difficult for the on-board engineers to glue a length of plastic of metal to divert the water. This is in an area where no-one would or even could walk.

Our first port of call was Sydney. The early morning sail-in was magical with the sun lighting up the tall buildings, and reflections in the still waters of the harbour completing the scene. I went for a long walk around the harbour. The next day (Thursday 19th - day 3) we all had to take a RAT test. I was reliably informed that only a handfull of cases were detected. I walked past all of the cabins on decks 12, 11 and 10 and saw indications of only one 'COVID cabin'. It was on deck 12. Someone mentioned that there were a few cabins quarantined off on deck 8.

After leaving Sydney, we had some extremely windy weather that meant we couldn't go out on the promenade deck. It was too windy to enjoy our balcony for a day or so.

By day 3 to 4, I found that the water was having a rather drastic effect on my innards so I reduced my intake of water in the dining room as well as from the tap in the cabin. I drank the bottles of water in the cabin, then the sparkling water, then the tonic water and was even considering drinking Coke, when I was able to get more bottled water. I had a live chat with a Princess rep today about the price of water on board and the answers seemed crazy. She said there would be bottles in the cabin to buy (there weren't), we could take on water but nothing larger than 750ml, it had to be factory sealed and was limited to one pp per day. For quite a while this Princess rep wouldn't give me any on-board prices and said I would have to speak to my Travel Agent. Eventually she told me that the water on board was $3 for a 500 ml bottle, but it could vary. I would need a few of these a day. I will find out more before our next cruise. In the chat she then informed me that I couldn't take food ashore. Duh!! I didn't need to know that.

Our Tassie ports were switched around because another ship was in Hobart when we were due to be there. One good result was that our visit to Hobart was on a Saturday - Salamanca Markets Day!! I walked to the markets, then looked at all of the couple of hundred stalls. I was very restrained in my purchasing. Back to the ship. The next day was Port Arthur where we went ashore by tender. I walked all around the site but I have to confess, because this was the second very active day in a row, I did consider getting a ride part of the way on one of the complimentary golf carts that ran constantly. Anyway, there wasn't one when I wanted it, so I continued on foot, even though my knees protested.

Our next day was scenic cruising off the Freycinet National Park. The ships can't go into Wineglass Bay, but the scenery was lovely.

Great report

3 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

Princess advised passengers before the cruise that they would have to wear masks at embarkation and on board when not eating or drinking. Compliance was exceptionally good.

That's good to hear. 

I miss being on Coral. It felt like a second home after all the time we spent on her last year. 

• Like 1

On 1/26/2023 at 5:26 PM, Aus Traveller said:

Your cruise sound's lovely. We have it booked for January next year but it includes Eden as well.

I also have trouble with the water, I bought myself a Brita water bottle for $16 at woolworths  & just decant into a plastic drink bottle, or into several bottles & keep them in the fridge for the day.

8 minutes ago, joejoe 59 said:

Your cruise sound's lovely. We have it booked for January next year but it includes Eden as well.

I also have trouble with the water, I bought myself a Brita water bottle for $16 at woolworths  & just decant into a plastic drink bottle, or into several bottles & keep them in the fridge for the day.

I have been researching the issue related to water and deciding whether I will buy a Brita filter jug. I have found another option. Apparently ascorbic acid (vitamin C) will neutralize chlorine. It would only need the tiniest pinch of powered vitamin C (part of a crushed tablet) for a jug of water. I can then pour this into a couple of 500ml plastic bottles. This would avoid having to carry a large filter jug. It has been suggested I could ask for a slice (or wedge) of lemon to add to my glass of water at the dining room table. 

Edited by Aus Traveller

5 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

I have been researching the issue related to water and deciding whether I will buy a Brita filter jug. I have found another option. Apparently ascorbic acid (vitamin C) will neutralize chlorine. It would only need the tiniest pinch of powered vitamin C (part of a crushed tablet) for a jug of water. I can then pour this into a couple of 500ml plastic bottles. This would avoid having to carry a large filter jug. It has been suggested I could ask for a slice (or wedge) of lemon to add to my glass of water at the dining room table. 

The Brita water bottles are easy to travel with, and easily fit in the fridge.

2 minutes ago, arxcards said:

The Brita water bottles are easy to travel with, and easily fit in the fridge.

From what I can find out, I think the water is filtered out of the Brita water bottle when a person drinks from the top. I prefer drinking from a glass when I can. When I am travelling, obviously I have to use a water bottle. I am thinking of buying a Brita filter jug and might use vitamin C powder as well. I will decant the filtered water into 500ml bottles for when I am out and about and even to take to the dining room. Alternatively, I can ask for a wedge of lemon in the dining room to add to my water glass. My problem with the water is so severe that I have to find a solution. After having disembarked last Thursday morning, I am still not back to normal. I found in the past it took at least four days.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

From what I can find out, I think the water is filtered out of the Brita water bottle when a person drinks from the top. I prefer drinking from a glass when I can. When I am travelling, obviously I have to use a water bottle. I am thinking of buying a Brita filter jug and might use vitamin C powder as well. I will decant the filtered water into 500ml bottles for when I am out and about and even to take to the dining room. Alternatively, I can ask for a wedge of lemon in the dining room to add to my water glass. My problem with the water is so severe that I have to find a solution. After having disembarked last Thursday morning, I am still not back to normal. I found in the past it took at least four days.

We used a Brita filter jug when we did the Hawaii/Tahiti cruise in 2019. We didn't have a drinks package for that cruise. It was really good. I like to use 1 litre sipper bottles at night - I've drowned myself too many times using a glass in the past plus glasses aren't big enough as I can drink over a litre of water overnight if I'm not sleeping well. I just took some sipper bottles on (empty) then filled them from the filter jug. We also took a slab of 500ml bottles on with us for use at ports. 

We didn't bother taking the filter jug with us for cruises since the restart as we've had drinks packages for all of those so just got bottled water from the bar every day. Actually the waiters in the Ocean Bar on Westerdam were really good - every night when we stopped in for our after dinner drink they would always bring us four cans of water to take back to our cabin.

I seem to be OK drinking the ship's water during the day, as long as it's well iced. It doesn't affect me but I do notice the chlorine taste if it's not iced or the ice has melted which is why I prefer bottled or filtered water at night.

5 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We used a Brita filter jug when we did the Hawaii/Tahiti cruise in 2019. We didn't have a drinks package for that cruise. It was really good. I like to use 1 litre sipper bottles at night - I've drowned myself too many times using a glass in the past plus glasses aren't big enough as I can drink over a litre of water overnight if I'm not sleeping well. I just took some sipper bottles on (empty) then filled them from the filter jug. We also took a slab of 500ml bottles on with us for use at ports. 

We didn't bother taking the filter jug with us for cruises since the restart as we've had drinks packages for all of those so just got bottled water from the bar every day. Actually the waiters in the Ocean Bar on Westerdam were really good - every night when we stopped in for our after dinner drink they would always bring us four cans of water to take back to our cabin.

I seem to be OK drinking the ship's water during the day, as long as it's well iced. It doesn't affect me but I do notice the chlorine taste if it's not iced or the ice has melted which is why I prefer bottled or filtered water at night.

My problem Julie is that I am (or have become) chlorine-intolerant. Ship's water contains up to 5.0 mg per litre. Town reticulated water is usually around 3.0 mg per litre. At home we have our own water supply with no chlorine. We haven't bought the drinks package because we only have a glass or two of wine per day each. My only other options are to either buy 2 litres of bottled water per day or remove the chlorine from the ship's water so I don't have to spend so much of my day in the bathroom. It appears that removing the chlorine is fairly simple.

Edited by Aus Traveller

52 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

My problem Julie is that I am (or have become) chlorine-intolerant. Ship's water contains up to 5.0 mg per litre. Town reticulated water is usually around 3.0 mg per litre. At home we have our own water supply with no chlorine. We haven't bought the drinks package because we only have a glass or two of wine per day each. My only other options are to either buy 2 litres of bottled water per day or remove the chlorine from the ship's water so I don't have to spend so much of my day in the bathroom. It appears that removing the chlorine is fairly simple.

The Brita filter jugs are ideal for that. The only downside is that it is too big to fit under the tap in Princess bathrooms. You need to use a glass or small jug. I found a silicone measuring jug, Oxo brand I think, in the Brisbane Myer store which was perfect. 

We have a water filter at home so I always drink filtered water. That may be partially why I notice the chlorine taste in unfiltered water so easily.

It's a shame we don't live near each other as then I could lend you our filter jug to try.

11 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

The Brita filter jugs are ideal for that. The only downside is that it is too big to fit under the tap in Princess bathrooms. You need to use a glass or small jug. I found a silicone measuring jug, Oxo brand I think, in the Brisbane Myer store which was perfect. 

We have a water filter at home so I always drink filtered water. That may be partially why I notice the chlorine taste in unfiltered water so easily.

It's a shame we don't live near each other as then I could lend you our filter jug to try.

Thanks for the suggestions (and the offer to lend the jug). I now know that I will have to take a smaller jug as well so I can fill the filter jug easily. It would be tedious to fill it with a glass.

2 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

Thanks for the suggestions (and the offer to lend the jug). I now know that I will have to take a smaller jug as well so I can fill the filter jug easily. It would be tedious to fill it with a glass.

Keep an eye out for those silicone measuring jugs. Unbreakable and the 1 cup one squishes inside the filter jug for packing. Also because it's flexible you can squeeze it slightly to get the best pouring spout.

52 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Keep an eye out for those silicone measuring jugs. Unbreakable and the 1 cup one squishes inside the filter jug for packing. Also because it's flexible you can squeeze it slightly to get the best pouring spout.

Thanks for the suggestion. 🙂

17 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

I don't use the water bottle by sucking on the top. The water is filtered through the top but I just squeeze it into a plastic water bottle that I then carry around wherever with me & keep the brita bottle in my cabin refilled for when needed. 

I also have the jug for at home. I think this for a long cruise would be a great option,  just fill it with undies & sock in your suitcase😁  It really isn't that heavy when empty & once it's in your cabin happy gut happy you.

15 minutes ago, joejoe 59 said:

I don't use the water bottle by sucking on the top. The water is filtered through the top but I just squeeze it into a plastic water bottle that I then carry around wherever with me & keep the brita bottle in my cabin refilled for when needed. 

I also have the jug for at home. I think this for a long cruise would be a great option,  just fill it with undies & sock in your suitcase😁  It really isn't that heavy when empty & once it's in your cabin happy gut happy you.

That is what I am thinking. For my next couple of cruises, I depart and return to my home city, Brisbane. I can easily take the Brita filter jug. For travelling I plan to fill it with undies etc. so it wont get broken by rough handling of suitcases. I have bought some water-testing tablets ($3 for 10) that I plan to use after we board to determine the chlorine content of the unfiltered water, then again after filtration. This is just for peace of mine. For $3 it is certainly worth it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

That is what I am thinking. For my next couple of cruises, I depart and return to my home city, Brisbane. I can easily take the Brita filter jug. For travelling I plan to fill it with undies etc. so it wont get broken by rough handling of suitcases. I have bought some water-testing tablets ($3 for 10) that I plan to use after we board to determine the chlorine content of the unfiltered water, then again after filtration. This is just for peace of mine. For $3 it is certainly worth it.

That sounds like a great plan.