Dolphin mini-suite on Crown

CruiserN1

I just booked an Alaskan cruise and decided to splurge on the Club Clas MS. It's mid-ship on the Dolphin deck. After booking I read something about these cabins having open (not covered) balconies. Can anyone tell me if this is correct and if the entire balcony is uncovered or just part of it? We'll be in Alaska so it's not like the sun will be too hot, but I'd rather not have to slather myself with sunscreen to sit on the balcony.

6 hours ago, CruiserN1 said:

I just booked an Alaskan cruise and decided to splurge on the Club Clas MS. It's mid-ship on the Dolphin deck. After booking I read something about these cabins having open (not covered) balconies. Can anyone tell me if this is correct and if the entire balcony is uncovered or just part of it? We'll be in Alaska so it's not like the sun will be too hot, but I'd rather not have to slather myself with sunscreen to sit on the balcony.

Yes they are uncovered and that’s why we didn’t do CC on the Crown.  We booked the Caribe deck balcony because it has a bigger balcony and 1/2 covered.  

We spend a lot of time on the balcony. The cover is a must for us. 

Yes, 9ftx6ft uncovered. In my opinion the uncovered balcony isn't a big issue. It's not like your in the Caribbean tropics. Alaska sun is at a lower angle. Lots of the time you probably will have some sort of sweater or jacket on. If you wish to have Club Class dining, a nice benefit, you must book one of these deck 9 Club Class cabins. There is no other choice. 

1 hour ago, skynight said:

Yes, 9ftx6ft uncovered. In my opinion the uncovered balcony isn't a big issue. It's not like your in the Caribbean tropics. Alaska sun is at a lower angle. Lots of the time you probably will have some sort of sweater or jacket on. If you wish to have Club Class dining, a nice benefit, you must book one of these deck 9 Club Class cabins. There is no other choice. 

Good point. Also a port-heavy itinerary so we won't be on the ship much at peak daylight hours.

We enjoy a covered or partially covered balcony regardless of how port intensive our cruise is. It is actually important to us. If it is not important to you, then save quite a bit of money and book an inside.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, nini said:

We enjoy a covered or partially covered balcony regardless of how port intensive our cruise is. It is actually important to us. If it is not important to you, then save quite a bit of money and book an inside.

Believe Club Class is the deciding feature for the poster. The only way to get Club Class is to book one of the Club Class mini suites or a full suite. Don't believe the poster is interested in an inside cabin. 

11 hours ago, nini said:

Well, I'd prefer that it be covered also but I'm not willing to pay for a full suite, so we'll live with it.  An inside was never a consideration. Did that once and once was enough!

1 hour ago, CruiserN1 said:

Well, I'd prefer that it be covered also but I'm not willing to pay for a full suite, so we'll live with it.  An inside was never a consideration. Did that once and once was enough!

Absolutely! We are not fans of insides either.

We had an uncovered balcony in Alaska and it was amazing. You get a full, clear view without obstruction. There is little chance of needing to slather on sunscreen. A hat would be sufficient on the sunniest days. But as you noted, on port days you will not be on your balcony between 10:00-4:00. Ever. On a scenic cruising sea day and at night stargazing, you will be thankful for your open-air balcony. 

• Like 1