First time in Halifax -- explore town or visit Lunenburg and/or Peggy's Cove?

cruisemom42

27 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Not so sure about those beaver tails though....  😂

Somehow I suspected they might not be for you. 😂  We fell in love with them, though. And it’s a good thing they can’t be found anywhere near where we live. 😂

4 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

I hope everyone realizes that beaver tails are not made from beavers, but from flour, butter, sugar, cinnamon.......quite appropriate for vegetarians and animal lovers, and very delicious.

Yes, definitely not made from beavers, and absolutely delicious. 🙂   (Many flavors from which to choose.  This is Nutella.  Yum.)

IMG_8477.thumb.JPG.f019d6d3df19abced655ecab2c5da4f9.JPG

IMG_8478(2).thumb.JPG.dda8fa2ecce25279dfe647b365698cfc.JPG

Edited by Turtles06
  • Like 1

On 1/28/2023 at 3:19 PM, lynncarol said:

Peggy's Cove is very scenic but it will be crowded with tourists.  Given your interests, I would definitely spend my time in Halifax.  Been there three times now but If you are really torn, once we took the ship tour to Peggy's Cove and the Titanic Graveyard. I think it was 4 1/2 hours total, so you could do that in the morning, then (assuming your ship has a later departure) see the Halifax attractions. Titanic Museum and waterfront area, the Citadel/fort and the Botanical Gardens are my personal favorites. Try to time your visit to the citadel when they fire the cannon. Very cool.

The cannon is shot at noon every day, they do a reenactment.  The water front also has the immigration museum, people can look up ancestors imjigration.   Lunenburg is worth the drive.  If you have a few people, hire a driver have them take you to Peggy’s Cove fist thing in the morning to beat the crowds, then continue on to Mahone Bay and Lunenburg.   The drive is beautiful.

On 5/28/2023 at 2:23 PM, Turtles06 said:

Yes, definitely not made from beavers, and absolutely delicious. 🙂   (Many flavors from which to choose.  This is Nutella.  Yum.)

IMG_8477.thumb.JPG.f019d6d3df19abced655ecab2c5da4f9.JPG

IMG_8478(2).thumb.JPG.dda8fa2ecce25279dfe647b365698cfc.JPG

Where did you purchase these? We'll just stay near port this next trip in October. We've always done a tour but opted not to this time. I did not see these last trip as our tour took up our whole visit.

16 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Where did you purchase these? We'll just stay near port this next trip in October. We've always done a tour but opted not to this time. I did not see these last trip as our tour took up our whole visit.

In Halifax, there's a Beaver Tails stand that is about halfway down the boardwalk as you walk from the cruise docks toward the Maritime Museum.  It was in an an area with many other food options.   (Their website says the address is 1549 Lower Water Street.)   

You can't miss it.  🙂 

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/22/2023 at 8:50 PM, seattleslew said:

I didn't know what to expect in Halifax so jumped on the HOHO bus right outside the disembark gangway --- maybe 500'?  I enjoyed it so much I hopped off (!) at the end of it, headed back to the ship and it was such a beautiful day that I turned back around to hop right back on for one more go-round.  90 min?  I actually would recommend doing that because I got a different driver and the narration was different. If it's nice, sit up top.  I got chills hearing about the explosion --- I'd never heard about it.  A few people got off at the Titanic cemetery but it was a slight uphill trek (a block?) and didn't look like much.  Just hearing they are buried there and in the Jewish cemetery as well was enough.  If you have the time to go around twice, you can decide where you'd like to get off the second time.  I wished I had time between Stops 4 and 5 to explore the Spring Garden Shopping District.  Jennifer's of Nova Scotia was mentioned by both drivers so I'm sure it's either worth a stop for souvenirs or she pays them!  I was told by a local to treat myself to a Donair, the official food of Halifax which is really a gyro with a twist.  The only one I could find was at Scotia Square (ground floor of an office building) because the "season" wasn't open yet.  I suspect that after May 15th, you might see food carts.  The town was vital, busy and alive on a sunny Mon, April 24, 2023.  Next time, museums!

How much does the HOHO bus cost?

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/28/2023 at 9:53 AM, shipgeeks said:

I hope everyone realizes that beaver tails are not made from beavers, but from flour, butter, sugar, cinnamon.......quite appropriate for vegetarians and animal lovers, and very delicious.

Thanks for pointing that out! I was wondering why just the tail? Not as meaty as other parts of a beaver. My sister lived in a very rural part of PA., and they often ate squirrel pot pie! (and possum🤔)

• Like 1