First time in Halifax -- explore town or visit Lunenburg and/or Peggy's Cove?

cruisemom42

I will visit Halifax next August on Oceania. The primary reason for my trip is to see Iceland and Greenland, but I am also very interested in the several Canada/New England stops as well. 

I enjoy history, cities and museums more than natural beauty (although quaint historic small towns are also great). I'm having a hard time deciding whether to just stay in Halifax and explore on my own -- it looks like there is plenty to do and see.  Or should I consider a daytrip that would take me out of Halifax to Lunenburg or possibly Peggy's Cove (though I hear there's not so much in PC other than a few good photo ops).

Would love to hear your thoughts, opinions?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I will visit Halifax next August on Oceania. The primary reason for my trip is to see Iceland and Greenland, but I am also very interested in the several Canada/New England stops as well. 

I enjoy history, cities and museums more than natural beauty (although quaint historic small towns are also great). I'm having a hard time deciding whether to just stay in Halifax and explore on my own -- it looks like there is plenty to do and see.  Or should I consider a daytrip that would take me out of Halifax to Lunenburg or possibly Peggy's Cove (though I hear there's not so much in PC other than a few good photo ops).

Don't waste your time going to Peggy's Cove. Nothing worth seeing there, particularly for someone with your interests.

I'd just stay in Halifax. Given your interest in history, I'd recommend including a visit to Fairview Cemetery, where over 100 victims of the Titanic sinking are buried. I haven't been to Lunenburg, but I'd go there before I'd go to Peggy's Cove.

• Thanks 2

Peggy's Cove is very scenic but it will be crowded with tourists.  Given your interests, I would definitely spend my time in Halifax.  Been there three times now but If you are really torn, once we took the ship tour to Peggy's Cove and the Titanic Graveyard. I think it was 4 1/2 hours total, so you could do that in the morning, then (assuming your ship has a later departure) see the Halifax attractions. Titanic Museum and waterfront area, the Citadel/fort and the Botanical Gardens are my personal favorites. Try to time your visit to the citadel when they fire the cannon. Very cool.

• Like 1

Halifax!  You can easily fill all the hours of your stay with interesting and beautiful city, history, and museums, with no hours spent on a bus or other vehicle.  Walk the waterfront boardwalk, go to the museums (Maritime, Immigration, etc.), check out a very old cemetery near the port, visit the Citadel.

On 1/28/2023 at 3:49 PM, Ashland said:

If you want to join a private tour check into a tour with Paul McNeil "Halifax Titanic Historical Tours"...one of the best 6 hours you'll spend at this port.

We had that tour booked with Paul for 10/23.  Then, he cancelled it when four others wanted to go to Peggy's Cove instead.  We had heard that Peggy's Cove wasn't worth it, so opted to cancel the new tour.  We are just going to go on our own.

On 1/28/2023 at 8:57 PM, cruisemom42 said:

Thanks for all the info and advice. It does seem Halifax is the right choice, with plenty to do.

Cruisemom42..

I am also planning our first cruise to this area so I cannot help much.  However, I am glad others have provided input to you since you are an All Star on these boards!  Normally you are the giver of very  good and well researched advice for other destinations.... 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2023 at 11:43 AM, Nashna said:

We had that tour booked with Paul for 10/23.  Then, he cancelled it when four others wanted to go to Peggy's Cove instead.  We had heard that Peggy's Cove wasn't worth it, so opted to cancel the new tour.  We are just going to go on our own.

Sorry to hear that...Personally I think those that opted to go to Peggy's Cove are up for a disappointment.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Ashland said:

Sorry to hear that...Personally I think those that opted to go to Peggy's Cove are up for a disappointment.

On a recent Caribbean cruise, we met several Canadians who had visited Peggy's Cove; they all said it wasn't worth the travel time and there were too many other interesting things to do in Halifax.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nashna said:

I got the impression that the other folks had visited Halifax in the past.   

In July will be the 7 time we are going to NE/CA and Halifax and enjoy visiting. 

We enjoy investigating Halifax inner city and shore line.

• Like 1

On 1/28/2023 at 6:12 PM, shipgeeks said:

Halifax!  You can easily fill all the hours of your stay with interesting and beautiful city, history, and museums, with no hours spent on a bus or other vehicle.  Walk the waterfront boardwalk, go to the museums (Maritime, Immigration, etc.), check out a very old cemetery near the port, visit the Citadel.

Shipgeeks, I know I’m late to the party, but thanks for your comments. We will be in Halifax in October, so will now send time on our own visiting to sites!!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, rikitikitavii said:

Shipgeeks, I know I’m late to the party, but thanks for your comments. We will be in Halifax in October, so will now send time on our own visiting to sites!!

Ditto Shipgeeks,

Halifax is our favorite port in Canada next to Quebec. 

We also enjoy walking around Halifax. Seeing the Public Gardens to add to the list. We a

Enjoy also walking the Harbor Walkway and having lunch at one of the many restaurants and seafood restaurants. Nova Scotia is known for it's cold water lobsters with so sweet meat.

Our favorite seafood restaurant we like lunch is Salty's along the Harbor Walkway.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Have been to Halifax a half times and will be going again in June.  Halagonians  are so friendly, and the town is so walkable.  Lots of history and nature.  Going to hop the ferry to George's Island this time around. Enjoy!

On 3/1/2023 at 9:42 AM, BklynBoy8 said:

Ditto Shipgeeks,

Halifax is our favorite port in Canada next to Quebec. 

We also enjoy walking around Halifax. Seeing the Public Gardens to add to the list. We a

Enjoy also walking the Harbor Walkway and having lunch at one of the many restaurants and seafood restaurants. Nova Scotia is known for it's cold water lobsters with so sweet meat.

Our favorite seafood restaurant we like lunch is Salty's along the Harbor Walkway.

Thanks for the restaurant recommendation - I've put it on our list 

• Thanks 1

Another historic/cultural place to visit near the cruise port in Halifax besides the Maritime and Immigration museums is the Art Gallery of Nova Scotia(closed Mondays)which is around one half mile away and has an ongoing exhibit on Maud Lewis the world famous NS artist that the 2017 movie Maudie was based on which even includes her original painted house.

https://agns.ca/exhibition/maud-lewis-gallery/

• Like 2

We enjoy walking the Harbor Walkway. We walk to the Public Garedens. Near by is the Citidel on the Mount. Thru the town walk.

The Maritime Harbor Museum is our favorite with exhibits of the Titanic.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I didn't know what to expect in Halifax so jumped on the HOHO bus right outside the disembark gangway --- maybe 500'?  I enjoyed it so much I hopped off (!) at the end of it, headed back to the ship and it was such a beautiful day that I turned back around to hop right back on for one more go-round.  90 min?  I actually would recommend doing that because I got a different driver and the narration was different. If it's nice, sit up top.  I got chills hearing about the explosion --- I'd never heard about it.  A few people got off at the Titanic cemetery but it was a slight uphill trek (a block?) and didn't look like much.  Just hearing they are buried there and in the Jewish cemetery as well was enough.  If you have the time to go around twice, you can decide where you'd like to get off the second time.  I wished I had time between Stops 4 and 5 to explore the Spring Garden Shopping District.  Jennifer's of Nova Scotia was mentioned by both drivers so I'm sure it's either worth a stop for souvenirs or she pays them!  I was told by a local to treat myself to a Donair, the official food of Halifax which is really a gyro with a twist.  The only one I could find was at Scotia Square (ground floor of an office building) because the "season" wasn't open yet.  I suspect that after May 15th, you might see food carts.  The town was vital, busy and alive on a sunny Mon, April 24, 2023.  Next time, museums!

• Like 3

On 5/22/2023 at 8:50 PM, seattleslew said:

I didn't know what to expect in Halifax so jumped on the HOHO bus right outside the disembark gangway --- maybe 500'?  I enjoyed it so much I hopped off (!) at the end of it, headed back to the ship and it was such a beautiful day that I turned back around to hop right back on for one more go-round.  90 min?  I actually would recommend doing that because I got a different driver and the narration was different. If it's nice, sit up top.  ...

Thanks so much for this!  I LOVE a good HOHO bus and find it's the quickest way to get the lay of the land and figure out what you actually want to do!  We were torn about going to Peggy's Cove but now we will just take the HOHO bus and choose local attractions/restaurants after that!

On 1/28/2023 at 1:02 PM, cruisemom42 said:

Apologies for being late to the table here, but since your cruise is still in the future, I just want to add my own recommendation to stay in Halifax, given your interests. 

I think you would find the Immigration Museum particularly worthwhile to visit.  Besides the history presented there, the Museum openly celebrates the diversity of Canada’s immigrant peoples and their importance to the country. It also owns up to shameful episodes in Canadian history, including the turning away of the St. Louis, which I don’t think our country does, at least not in the same way. 

We were very moved by our visit to the Museum, and spent more time there than we thought we would. 

We love Halifax. Beautiful walk along the waterfront, with many food choices, including Beaver Tails. 😊

And plenty more places of interest, including the Citadel, the Botanical Gardens, and the “Titanic” Cemetery. 

• Like 1