Book Air through PG?

patrickmoran

We'll be doing 7 days Tahiti cruise in early December. It's time to start looking to book our flights. Does PG have better fares, or other advantage, to book flights through them? I haven't talked to a PG rep yet and have just started checking prices through Google Flights. Looks like flying from SFO may be a bit cheaper than LAX or SEA. Any recommendations? We will be flying Economy and don't have enough points with any carrier to make much of a difference which airline to use.

From your question I’m guessing you booked the cruise directly with PG.  if you did I would check some travel agents as you should be able to find a TA who will provide $500-$1000 per cabin in either OBC or a post cruise rebate.  If booked directly you can transfer your booking to a TA.  

you should compare the air that is offered against what you can book directly. The PG may offer a day room  or some  transport that may be helpful.  I always book separately. 

If this is your first trip to FP on the Paul Gauguin it is nice not to worry about anything and let PG handle everything. I've gone 30 times to FP so I know most everything as far as traveling there. I book my own airfare and accommodations ... but as I said ... no worries if you let PG handle everything as a newbie 😉

10 hours ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

TA's can can give OBC but post cruise rebate is frowned upon.

If you book directly with PG you are leaving big money (4 figures) on the table. My TA who always provides a large rebate is greeted like family by PG staff and mgmt alike. 

18 minutes ago, sita said:

If you book directly with PG you are leaving big money (4 figures) on the table. My TA who always provides a large rebate is greeted like family by PG staff and mgmt alike. 

Unless if there is a recent change because of Ponant it is a no no  ....

I'll email PG and ask if there is a new protocol.

Email sent  ... once I hear back I'll post what they state.

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna

I did receive an email from PG regarding their rebate policy. This is what was stated, "Paul Gauguin Cruises has a very strict rebating policy. Should we be aware of such a situation, we will address it accordingly."

Are there agents who break this policy? Yes ... but if they get caught .... nuff said.

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna

If flying in/out of PPT, be aware that not all airlines are created equal.  French Bee will come up with having the lowest prices of your flights to/from California.  However, they are a discount carrier with some pretty atrocious seating configurations and ala carte fees.

Caveat Emptor.

• Like 1