florida layover post cruise

gazzer159

Rent a vehicle for the minimum twenty four hour time period from FLL and decide what you want to see before you have to head over to MIA. for your flight home. I would drive over to Miami Beach and walk on the beach. Then spend a few hours having a nice lunch and a few drinks at one of the restaurants in the area.  I would head to MIA around 2:00PM to return the rental vehicle and then check in for the flight.

We have returned from MIA to both Heathrow on Virgin Atlantic and Dublin on Aer Lingus, but they have been later departing flights (9pm).  On these occasions we used Larry's Limos to collect us at the cruise port and take us to Dolphin Mall for some retail therapy, then a cab to the airport.

We did have an earlier flight with American Airlines (around 5pm) and we signed up for the cruiseline's transfer to MIA which included a tour of Miami.  We got the tour, time for a coffee in a 'diner' and a walk on the beach before being dropped to the airport.  

Depending on departure time we would do these options again.

What I would not do is rent a car and drive to Miami (on the 'wrong' side of the road).  I do not need that stress after a cruise!  

• Like 1

Early January is perfect time to take an airboat tour in the Everglades.  Completely unique ecosystem that is a must see if you're from across the pond.  Highly recommend the Gator Boys at Everglades Holiday Park. 

• Like 1

17:00 depart means getting to MIA around 14:00. So not a whole lot of time. Then what do you do with your bags if you do not have a car. Issue with the a car is the amount of time to get it and take it back. 

I would see if there were any post-cruise excursions that send you to MIA. Alternative is going to Dolphin Mall (storing bags) and then a quick taxi to the airport. If you find a place to store bags in Downtown Miami (Bayside may have a place) that is a good option as you can go around the area easil by foot or metromover and then get a taxi over to the airport or even take the metrorail to the airport. 

• Like 1