Luggage tags on suitcases questions.

cruiseagona

Printed out my luggage tags for my suitcases and noticed that there is no spot for the cabin number. Just the color mentioned and we fill in name, address and phone number.

1. In the past, didn't we fill in the cabin number too? 

2. How do the porters know what room they go to?

3. Should I write my cabin number on the tag or is that giving away privy information? TIA.

• Like 1

I thought the tags had the cabin number pre-printed.  I assume you do indeed have a cabin assigned?

You definitely need to have the cabin number on them.

But, at the end of the day, the tags aren't critical to have before you leave.  If you get to the port and you don't have them, the porters will and as long as you know your cabin number they will write that on the tags they provide.  (I know from experience having forgotten the tags on more than one occasion).  

Yes, we have a cabin assigned. They are not on the tag. I'll write them on. A few years ago, I bought  plastic sleeves with the steel wire that the paper tag slips into. Love the much more than just having a paper tag on my suitcase. (I'm a cruising stickler for some things. Aren't we all 🙂

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, cruiseagona said:

Printed out my luggage tags for my suitcases and noticed that there is no spot for the cabin number. Just the color mentioned and we fill in name, address and phone number.

3. Should I write my cabin number on the tag or is that giving away privy information? TIA.

Your luggage tags should look like this with your stateroom number showing.  If they don’t they will give you tags at the pier. 

image.thumb.png.609f8eddcda1b4ee6e8d1d74561b8fa4.png

Tom😀

1 hour ago, cruiseagona said:

Something doesn't make any sense. Your luggage tags are suppose to have your cabin number on them

Your cabin number should be on the tags. When I tried to print them from my phone for my last cruise the file was separated into 2 for some reason. The generic part was going to print on one page and the cruise specific part (date and cabin) was going to print on a second page. It was a formatting issue I guess? They printed correctly from my desktop. Maybe something like that happened to you?

22 minutes ago, Srpellot said:

I printed mine this morning. I can assure you that the cabin number was there.

What if you don't have a printer? 

Can they print them at the check-in desk?

On 1/30/2023 at 6:18 PM, Guyc said:

What if you don't have a printer? 

Can they print them at the check-in desk?

The lines have been so long on our last 2 cruises, for those who dont have their tags printed and on their bags.  I would go to the library or a UPS store and get them printed. 

4 hours ago, greatestvalue said:

The lines have been so long on our last 2 cruises, for those who dont have their tags printed and on their bags.  I would go to the library or a UPS store and get them printed. 

What port was that with long lines for no tags?  I don't think I recall seeing any lines for porters.

On 1/30/2023 at 10:51 PM, NW Pacific said:

The check in desk is way past the point where you drop off bags with Porters.  Carry on if you can, the best solution at least for us

Folks should use the porters as much as possible. Embarkation is a very busy and crowded time. There are a lot of "smart people" who "think" that they can do carry on, and end up struggling and clogging the gangway, bumping into to people in the halls, blocking walkways in the buffet or main dining room. 

Let the porters do their job. Folks should just start their vacation letting others do the work. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Folks should use the porters as much as possible. Embarkation is a very busy and crowded time. There are a lot of "smart people" who "think" that they can do carry on, and end up struggling and clogging the gangway, bumping into to people in the halls, blocking walkways in the buffet or main dining room. 

Let the porters do their job. Folks should just start their vacation letting others do the work. 

Exactly. I even give them my bigger carry-on tote bag that was my actual plane carry-on. I keep my valuables in my purse. It's much easier to sidle up to the bar with minimal baggage. lol

• Haha 1

As I have been researching online for helpful things, I've read that you can get plastic luggage tag holders to put these luggage tags in n your bags so they don't get torn off. Is that a good idea? Or a waste of money?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, LoriASP said:

As I have been researching online for helpful things, I've read that you can get plastic luggage tag holders to put these luggage tags in n your bags so they don't get torn off. Is that a good idea? Or a waste of money?

I believe a waste of money. Many on here will disagree and say they are the best thing ever. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, LoriASP said:

I spent $7 for a pack of 8 back in 2019. I've more than gotten my money's worth. I fly to my ports and don't attach my cruise luggage tags until after I retrieved my bags from baggage claim or am heading to the port when I check out of my hotel. Until then, I keep the tags (with the cruise tag already inserted) in an easily accessible pocket in my carry-on. I'm not carrying tape or staplers with me to affix them to my luggage, so I wouldn't know how else to do so if I didn't have the plastic tags. And I am not worried at all about them getting accidently damaged during transit. The plastic is very heavy duty.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, LoriASP said:

Very good idea as I had a tag fall off.  Had to go to customer service desk on ship after 5PM to get luggage.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LoriASP said:

Again, welcome to Cruise Critic!

If you are going to be a frequent cruiser, then it is a good investment. If this is a once-in-many-years activity, then probably a waste of money. 

Here's a hack: Put a piece of filament tape, duct tape, or clear packing tape on the back of your paper tags. That will help prevent tearing. We used to carry a roll of packing tape to secure the ends of our tags once we arrived in our embarkation city. 

The second recommendation is to place a tag on the top handle and the side handle of your suitcase in case one is torn off.

image.png.a36f4f6edd2c9f076a4a1e5785dbd14f.pngimage.png.66bc54337469d5b1ef4ff856315b3bfb.pngimage.png.161a7b7083c82c0b82c01018301b8af1.png

• Like 1

If you are overnighting at a hotel the night before the cruise the hotel should be able to print and staple your labels if you haven’t been able to print them in the advance or don’t have the plastic tag holders. I got the plastic holders and use them as well as leaving my normal luggage tags attached and a card inside the bags just in case it goes wandering. 

3 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

That works until it fails..... on our last cruise 6 people were missing luggage. One person who checked their carry on was freaking out because she had meds in there she needed. I don't care what anyone say's, I always take a roll on carry on and a small back pack. If your struggling with a carry on walking the gangway maybe a cruise is not for you

If anyone cares, the reason OP's tags were missing room info is because of the way NCL constructed the file for the tags. I ran into the same issue when I tried printing mine due to ink cartridge problems.

OP, try printing from a different printer.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

That works until it fails..... on our last cruise 6 people were missing luggage. One person who checked their carry on was freaking out because she had meds in there she needed. I don't care what anyone say's, I always take a roll on carry on and a small back pack. If your struggling with a carry on walking the gangway maybe a cruise is not for you

I agree. Your meds are the most important thing. I always take my meds, backup meds and back ups for the backups. 

• Like 2