Is P&O becoming Carnival’s Budget Cruise Line?

Tablelamp

31 minutes ago, Thejuggler said:

Smaller adult only ships are always more expensive.

However P&O are spending significant sums advertising cruises from £86 a night (less than 15 years ago) which is all about 'bargain' pricing.

On the subject of the smaller ships, is it normal to stop selling cabins to solo travellers at a certain point? I'm booked on Aurora in April solo and a friend mentioned yesterday she'd like to travel with me but wanted her own cabin rather than share.  Looked this morning availability for several types/grades of cabin but if you put 1 passenger rather than 2 it shows sold out.  I assume this means no singles should apply but I've never seen it on P&O.

2 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

On the subject of the smaller ships, is it normal to stop selling cabins to solo travellers at a certain point? I'm booked on Aurora in April solo and a friend mentioned yesterday she'd like to travel with me but wanted her own cabin rather than share.  Looked this morning availability for several types/grades of cabin but if you put 1 passenger rather than 2 it shows sold out.  I assume this means no singles should apply but I've never seen it on P&O.

I think they have a limit which depends on how well the cruise is selling. For example years ago I was pricing a Caribbean 14 night fly cruise in my TA. She asked me if i like sea days, yes say I. OK how about this, 24 nights on Oceana to the Caribbean and back for £130 more than a 14 night fly cruise. I could not get my credit card out fast enough. They had LOTS of availability 🤑

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Thejuggler said:

Smaller adult only ships are always more expensive.

However P&O are spending significant sums advertising cruises from £86 a night (less than 15 years ago) which is all about 'bargain' pricing.

My cruise next week on Iona cost me £502 and I have £90 OBC plus £60 shareholder benefit. Inside forward cabin. I did not fancy a balcony in February with blizzards etc.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

Just a couple of thoughts.

As previous posters have suggested, P&O may set a limit as to how many twin cabins they sell to solo travellers. From personal experience, they also limit the number they sell with a reasonable single supplement. When these are gone they ask for double fare.

There may however, possibly be another reason. If you search for a cabin grade then look for a solo occupancy the sysyem may instead look for single cabins in that grade, which do not exist. Should this be the problem, booking by phone rather than online might solve it.

Edited by Denarius
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Denarius said:

Just a couple of thoughts.

As previous posters have suggested, P&O may set a limit as to how many twin cabins they sell to solo travellers. From personal experience, they also limit the number they sell with a reasonable single supplement. When these are gone they ask for double fare.

There may however, possibly be another reason. If you search for a cabin grade then look for a solo occupancy the sysyem may instead look for single cabins in that grade, which do not exist. Should this be the problem, booking by phone rather than online might solve it.

Well they say no more singles.  However we are going to share and I'm very happy with the result.  My booking was £1,998 for an inside saver but making it for 2 we have moved up to an outside for £3198 so I'm making a nice saving.  I wasn't aware but I also have a gift from P&O of £100OBC to "welcome me back onboard - I thought that had to be on a select fare but its apparently not the case.  I'm well pleased.

My 18 March select outside on Iona which I booked onboard Britannia at Christmas was £1299 with £350obc so the Aurora cruise now looks like my big bargain (excuse the use of that emotive word please!).

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

I wasn't aware but I also have a gift from P&O of £100OBC to "welcome me back onboard - I thought that had to be on a select fare but its apparently not the case.  I'm well pleased.

We were given the £100 OBC welcome back on our last saver fare cruise. 

• Like 2

I like a balcony which becomes more expensive if you are a solo cruiser.   However, the bathroom is always free when I want it.

all I ask for in the MDR is a starter, (preferably prawn), clam chowder, a main course, and possibly ice cream for dessert, and a plate of cheese, preferably continental.  Only stipulation is that the wine must come before I’ve finished my main course.   I couldn’t drink red wine with ice cream.   I gather there are no dedicated wine waiters.   Sommeliers are definitely a thing of the past.   Maybe they have them in the glass house.

Edited by Tablelamp
Addition

56 minutes ago, Tablelamp said:

I like a balcony which becomes more expensive if you are a solo cruiser.   However, the bathroom is always free when I want it.

all I ask for in the MDR is a starter, (preferably prawn), clam chowder, a main course, and possibly ice cream for dessert, and a plate of cheese, preferably continental.  Only stipulation is that the wine must come before I’ve finished my main course.   I couldn’t drink red wine with ice cream.   I gather there are no dedicated wine waiters.   Sommeliers are definitely a thing of the past.   Maybe they have them in the glass house.

Just a few points if your a solo traveler and someone is using your bathroom I would be freaked out unless your a swinger, and you do realise cheddar cheese can be made anywhere in the world so that’s the continental sorted.

• Haha 1

Most of my cheese comes from a French supermarket, but I have never heard of French cheddar. I’m obviously missing something. If the cruise ship Serves French Cheese, I will be well satisfied.  Problem solved.  Mostly they have Port Salut and will produce it is requested nicely.  The trick is BE POLITE and ask NICELY!  It works every time.

7 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

I came across this a few times when I took early retirement and did a lot of cruising in 2012-2015. (I've only ever been on P&O). When I enquired about some cruises, particularly longer ones on the smaller ships, the TA would get back to me with "Sorry, P&O are not taking any more solo bookings just now for this one. Try again nearer the time." If I said "Not even at 100% single supplement?" they said "No. They've sold a lot of cabins to solos already. They'd like the remaining cabins to have more than one person potentially buying drinks, tours etc." Which I had to admit made good business sense.

It's the old story of swings and roundabouts for solo travellers. Sometimes it costs a fortune. On the occasions mentioned above you just hit a brick wall and can't book at all for cruises you'd like to go on. Other times I've had fantastic bargains - none more so than lately. My two Iona cruises in recent months and the one on her in 2 weeks time (I love that ship!) were all at great prices with 0% single supplement.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tablelamp said:

Mostly they have Port Salut and will produce it is requested nicely.  The trick is BE POLITE and ask NICELY!  It works every time.

Rarely could I receive Port Salut, pre covid, and I always politely asked if it were available!  It would be a rare treat.  I’ll see on Aurora in May if I have more luck… but sounds like the cheese guards are now pre plated 😞 (I am unable to eat blue cheese) 

32 minutes ago, Valfan said:

I came across this a few times when I took early retirement and did a lot of cruising in 2012-2015. (I've only ever been on P&O). When I enquired about some cruises, particularly longer ones on the smaller ships, the TA would get back to me with "Sorry, P&O are not taking any more solo bookings just now for this one. Try again nearer the time." If I said "Not even at 100% single supplement?" they said "No. They've sold a lot of cabins to solos already. They'd like the remaining cabins to have more than one person potentially buying drinks, tours etc." Which I had to admit made good business sense.

It's the old story of swings and roundabouts for solo travellers. Sometimes it costs a fortune. On the occasions mentioned above you just hit a brick wall and can't book at all for cruises you'd like to go on. Other times I've had fantastic bargains - none more so than lately. My two Iona cruises in recent months and the one on her in 2 weeks time (I love that ship!) were all at great prices with 0% single supplement.

This seems very unfair and discriminatory to me. What about paying for someone who then just doesn’t turn up at checkin?! 

22 minutes ago, Valfan said:

Yes the age old singles problem is one I encounter all the time on Cunard and Princess. I've never had it on P&O but then I never normally travel on the small ships, this will be my first time on Aurora as every time I've booked her something got in the way like covid or the ship going out of service.  I've moved my friend in with me which of course means no cabin is being used for a single now but I note it still doesn't allow a booking for someone else.

My Iona cruise was booked to use up what I thought was my last FCC but I've since found another £1,000 sitting in my account but from where I have no idea!!!

I had a large sum tied up in an Arvia Christmas cruise with my husband but he is refusing to travel P&O again - I'm trying to sort that one out.  I was going to go for the Aurora 65 night 2024 cruise as a replacement and thats why I've booked Aurora in April to see how I get along on her.  Spanner in the works has appeared over on the Cunard board though with a leaked 2025 itinerary showing Queen Victoria is going to South America in January 2025 and i just love that ship!  How lovely to have so many choices, I'm sure it will all get sorted in the next month or so.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Goosebear Mum said:

This seems very unfair and discriminatory to me. What about paying for someone who then just doesn’t turn up at checkin?! 

Not feasible I'm afraid.  We offered to pay 200% for my friend and they said no.  I have heard of someone on a Cunard cruise who's travelling companion cried off on the morning of departure and she was unable to travel.

In June last year on our Princess cruise my aunt and I travelled without her now partner.  Although two cabins for 3 persons fares we had to fight to get me to be able to use the empty cabin and I couldn't have it until day 3.

4 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

How lovely to have so many choices, I'm sure it will all get sorted in the next month or so.

Yes it's lovely to have exciting choices and to get back to cruising again. And in your case it's great to have £1000 FCC that you didn't know about too!  I'm having the time of my life.  5 weeks after my Iona cruise I'm off on a 19-nighter on Arcadia. Also keeping an eye on prices for Aurora's 30-night to USA + Canada.  And I'm very keen to try Arvia once her teething problems are ironed out. Oops, there I go again, making God laugh by telling Him my plans.

• Like 6

Not sure you could call them budget, although I suppose it depends on what your personal budget is. If you compare say P&O against Saga and I am aware that Saga provides some excursions included, pick up from home to port and drinks inclusive and it would largely depend on whether you purchased things like a drinks package, used speciality restaurants regularly and took a lot of excursions with P&O prices may be slightly lower on P&O. Not really sure to be honest. But an example of how prices change I am very soon going on a 35 night cruise with P&O on an inside cabin. The cost just for the cruise is just over £6,000 for the two of us. In 2024 there is a cruise up the East Coast of America for 30 nights. The cost cruise only around £8,500 again a inside cabin.

20 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Spanner in the works has appeared over on the Cunard board though with a leaked 2025 itinerary showing Queen Victoria is going to South America in January 2025 and i just love that ship!  How lovely to have so many choices, I'm sure it will all get sorted in the next month or so.

It depends where you wish to go in South America as P&O are not welcome in Argentina since the Clarkson debacle there, but Princess, Hal and surprisingly Fred still go.

32 minutes ago, Bill Y said:

It depends where you wish to go in South America as P&O are not welcome in Argentina since the Clarkson debacle there, but Princess, Hal and surprisingly Fred still go.

Excuse my ignorance and with fear of opening a can of worms what is the Clarkson debacle, assuming you're not referring to his latest faux pa with Meghan?

1 minute ago, Megabear2 said:

Excuse my ignorance and with fear of opening a can of worms what is the Clarkson debacle, assuming you're not referring to his latest faux pa with Meghan?

Thinking is was funny driving around Argentina with some kind of Falklands numberplate. I don't know the whole story as I try and ignore anything that involves him.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

They were filming in Argentina and one of their cars had a number plate that was suggestive of the Falklands War. They had to flee the country.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, davecttr said:

They were filming in Argentina and one of their cars had a number plate that was suggestive of the Falklands War. They had to flee the country.

Thank you. About right for the moronic man he appears to be.  However what is his association with P&O not being welcome? Was it their advert or something?

On 2/1/2023 at 4:18 PM, Tablelamp said:

I never eat in the MDR but on my last cruises with P&O there may be a sommelier in the Glass House who in the past s/he does the wine talks but none of the other staff are to my knowledge sommeliers. They just serve you your choice of wine and in the glorious past your food which now is very reduced choices if available at all. On Iona Dec/Jan they were open at 3pm to 9pm just the small plates. Waiters brought you the wines you ordered and were excellent but suggest wines etc no-one did that neither did they do the wine tasting etc

12 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Thank you. About right for the moronic man he appears to be.  However what is his association with P&O not being welcome? Was it their advert or something?

Moronic’s about the right word for Clarkson, but this time it’s costing him quite a bit. Deservedly!

There used to be a very popular little game played by his ’fans’ a while back, maybe still going on - basically hiding the Clarkson book covers in bookshops to reduce his sales.  😃

• Like 2