Is P&O becoming Carnival’s Budget Cruise Line?

Tablelamp

2 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Some...on these boards. Some on these boards. Would you care to give an idea on whom you consider a budget holiday brand ?. If P&O are budget ,why has my cruise just cost 

I'm one of those on these boards, if you are offended by my referring to the 70 odd of those who follow it as some on these boards nothing I can do about it.

Those of us who post and comment have to accept responsibility for the opinions we give. I've no idea what your £5k refers to as it isn't my business. However you recently posted about another booking at around £800pp for a week on Azura in a balcony with a hotel and flights.  I'd say that's a very good deal and if I was looking for a holiday I'd call it budget.

I hope that helps.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Despite all this it's a valid point, are P&O now a budget cruise line, what exactly is a "budget cruise line" and how should they be looked at in the apparent star ratings travel agents use?

The lady in question might have worded it badly and her post is ill named but it remains a big question many on these boards have been consistently hinting at.

In my opinion for what it is worth I think P&O is a budget cruise line. It does not stop me cruising and enjoying cruising with them. I shop at several different supermarkets and would say Aldi is a budget supermarket but we probably use Aldi more than others. I can only judge from what I have experienced but take onboard what some people post here as it is a good site for garnering information and opinions to be considered when booking future cruises. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sheila127 said:

You really need to remove this post as it is misleading and factually incorrect! No hard feelings but it has caused a lot of confusion!

Also please note I have recently come off Iona and had a wonderful cruise!

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Tablelamp said:

Source has come from a passenger who has just disembarked Iona following a14 day cruise.  Too many queues and limited menu.  

Thank you for providing your source, confirming that it is probably hearsay or opinion, and not a documented statement of fact from Carnival. 

• Like 12

5 minutes ago, Sheila127 said:

Also please note I have recently come off Iona and had a wonderful cruise!

Delighted you had a good holiday as I'm travelling on her for the first time in March.  Hopefully this holiday will be as good as yours as my last one on Britannia did not live up to expectations. I guess everyone's experience is different as many clearly enjoyed my cruise when I didn't.

16 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

I'm one of those on these boards, if you are offended by my referring to the 70 odd of those who follow it as some on these boards nothing I can do about it.

Those of us who post and comment have to accept responsibility for the opinions we give. I've no idea what your £5k refers to as it isn't my business. However you recently posted about another booking at around £800pp for a week on Azura in a balcony with a hotel and flights.  I'd say that's a very good deal and if I was looking for a holiday I'd call it budget.

I hope that helps.

You said ' many onthese boards ' in reality it is only the same few. Some folk really enjoy their P&O cruises. Budget to you may be some folks luxury holiday and they may get offended by folk continually referring to them as budget. Some folk making those referenced haven't been on one for yonks either, so don't know.

• Like 4

Just now, Bazrat said:

Ok this site is moving away from facts but getting it information from a friend's cousins uncles friend who spoke to someone 

It's all true. My Auntie heard somebody in Fortnum & Mason talking about their butlers cleaners cruise.

• Haha 4

I’m not sure why people use the term “budget cruise line” as some sort of pejorative term.

Isnt it to be celebrated?
30 years ago, people who worked in shops, drove buses, or worked in factories would struggle to afford a cruise. At least without a couple of years worth of saving up beforehand. Nowadays they can experience the delight of a cruise a lot more easily.

Isnt that a good thing?

If anyone wishes to experience a cruise that costs multiple £100’s pppn with 5* service, entertainment, and amenities, they are free to do so. Those lines exist and service a marketplace. But P & O, Royal Caribbean, Princess, and even Cunard ain’t it.

I have enjoyed cruising for decades and I think it’s fantastic that the industry is now reaching out to a group that were excluded from it on economic grounds until a few years ago. It’s marvellous and for me has vastly enriched the feel on those ships that cater for this relatively new market.

And as an aside but on the same theme, why do so many in reviews and other posts use terminology like “Butlins at Sea” and “Food like school dinners” when describing life onboard? I’ve heard that butlins is a brilliant holiday but it is used as a pejorative when describing cruises and cruise lines. Not sure why. As for food, I went to a school that cost my parents many thousands per year in the 70s and the food was terrible compared to even the buffet on a cruise ship. I wish I’d gone to a school that catered the way that even ‘budget’ cruise lines do!

Lastly, when writing a 1* review, why do our fellow cruisers “swill” or “sup” lager or beer instead of simply drinking it?

Theres nowt so strange as folk I suppose.

• Like 16

27 minutes ago, Tablelamp said:

Source has come from a passenger who has just disembarked Iona following a14 day cruise.  Too many queues and limited menu.  

9 hours ago, Tablelamp said:

This is fine as it does Keep their base cruise fare lower.  However, be prepared to pay extra for quality food and better service.

So would all the posters above be right in thinking that it is a passenger/friend that has said

this and maybe not Carnival (P&O is a budget cruise ).

If so thanks for clearing any confusion.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, zap99 said:

You said ' many onthese boards ' in reality it is only the same few. Some folk really enjoy their P&O cruises. Budget to you may be some folks luxury holiday and they may get offended by folk continually referring to them as budget. Some folk making those referenced haven't been on one for yonks either, so don't know.

You and I will never agree on anything, we come at things in totally different ways. You assume budget is an insult, I assume it means suitable for someone with a limited sum of money they wish to spend.

I refer to a generalised "some on these boards" to not cause offence to individuals, some of whom I personally find very rude and opinionated.  As I say, I'm one of those some on these boards and yourself and several other posters are quite happy to take aim at me personally and that is completely your right.

However I stand by my belief we are all responsible for how our posts are perceived  including shouting people down when our experiences are different to someone elses.  We can't all be right all of the time though we are often guilty of believing we are!

The OP has told us many times she is elderly and has not sailed since the pandemic.  We and others are responsible for the opinion she has built up.  She might be totally right or totally wrong but all of us are helping build her trepidation by the constant sniping and arguing amongst ourselves. 

I'm willing to put my hands up to being one of those.  The fact is you never have a bad experience and are happy with the product on offer along with most who post here.  For my part I'm happy with the product at the moment but my last expensive (for me on a P&O cruise) was a big disappointment.  That is hopefully a one off experience but again I reiterate it's my experience no one else's and I found the food and service inferior it is my right to say so.

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, PaulManchester said:

Lastly, when writing a 1* review, why do our fellow cruisers “swill” or “sup” lager or beer instead of simply drinking it?

Theres nowt so strange as folk I suppose.

Because that now seems to be the way of the world, which is driven by the media and people pushing their own agenda, back in the day I used to sup beer because it is just a terminology for drinking, now I sip my beer. As you say nowt funnier than folk, but that is what makes the world go round. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, pete14 said:

To clear up any doubt Harry, can you please confirm that what you have posted as a question from a Cambridge International AS and A level travel and tourism (9395) examination is not a genuine one and it hasn’t appeared on any examination paper. 

Having skim read the syllabus on the link provided, as I noticed no mention of Carnival, P&O or any other cruise line, such a specific question would be invalid and certainly would not be used. In a general question, students may be expected to give examples they may have learned, but if there are no examples of specific companies specified in the syllabus, no specific companies will be highlighted in the question. 

Happy to confirm that it was an entirely spoof question, though the course itself is genuine. The heading of this thread just sounded a bit like a potential exam question and I added the rest.

It would also make a suitable tabloid headline with a couple of word repositions and a question mark. The rule is though that the answer to tabloid headline questions like that is always ‘no’, but in this case that rule would be broken.

• Like 4

The current issue with P&O seems t be the same as it has been for the last 10 months or so. Lack of staff which they say are trying to address, and food and drink supply issues partly caused by collapse of their main supplier in Southampton. However they really need to pull their finger out and get this sorted, I have a final balance to pay in 20 days for a May half term cruise on Iona and if my grandchildren can't get chicken (as occurred on their  last cruise in October half term) there will be a riot. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Happy to confirm that it was an entirely spoof question, though the course itself is genuine. The heading of this thread just sounded a bit like a potential exam question and I added the rest.

It would also make a suitable tabloid headline with a couple of word repositions and a question mark. The rule is though that the answer to tabloid headline questions like that is always ‘no’, but in this case that rule would be broken.

Thanks Harry. 

10 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

After 58 cruises many on P&O I can't understand the problem with P&O being a "budget" line, surely people look at the itinerary before deciding whether or not to cruise then so long as the price fits their budget they book.

I agree albeit it isn't always the itinerary that drives our decision to book. It is the same with cabin grade, drinks package, speciality restaurants etc. It isn't exactly rocket science. We cut our teeth with Airtours Suncruises which was a budget line, albeit we didn't understand that then we just thought it was a fantastic way to take a holiday and see the world.

• Like 2

I think that 'budget' in this instant is used pejoratively. Perhaps 'not like it was' would be more appropriate. Covid, shortage of staff and supply chain issues are the reason for many changes, but I don't think that P&O have gone downmarket at all, even if sometimes it might seem like it.

3 minutes ago, smj777 said:

I think that 'budget' in this instant is used pejoratively. Perhaps 'not like it was' would be more appropriate. Covid, shortage of staff and supply chain issues are the reason for many changes, but I don't think that P&O have gone downmarket at all, even if sometimes it might seem like it.

Personally I believe that P&O have gone downmarket, I base that opinion on my experience over the last 20 years, plus the Mirriam Webster definition; relating or appealing to lower-income consumers. If it wasn't for the dictionary definition I don't think a lot of us would be cruising today. I am not saying it is a bad thing as it suits our needs and agree that "not like it was" is probably a more accurate description than budget.

13 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

I agree albeit it isn't always the itinerary that drives our decision to book. It is the same with cabin grade, drinks package, speciality restaurants etc. It isn't exactly rocket science. We cut our teeth with Airtours Suncruises which was a budget line, albeit we didn't understand that then we just thought it was a fantastic way to take a holiday and see the world.

Our first cruise was on Island Escape. Then Ocean Village, NCL, RCI, TUI, Celebrity and P&O. Some were better than others, but we have enjoyed them all.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Cathygh said:

The current issue with P&O seems t be the same as it has been for the last 10 months or so. Lack of staff which they say are trying to address, and food and drink supply issues partly caused by collapse of their main supplier in Southampton. However they really need to pull their finger out and get this sorted, I have a final balance to pay in 20 days for a May half term cruise on Iona and if my grandchildren can't get chicken (as occurred on their  last cruise in October half term) there will be a riot. 

Things could change, but we are just back from Iona.  There was chicken on the menu in the MDR every night we went in.  Chicken all the time in the Quays, the Olive Grove and loads of chicken in the buffet for lunch.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Bazrat said:

Ok this site is moving away from facts but getting it information from a friend's cousins uncles friend who spoke to someone 

Was it ever just solely factual?

It's always been about views, opinions and things gleaned from sources - as long as these are clearly labelled for what they are, I don't think there a problem.

• Like 2

• Host Sharon changed the title to Is P&O becoming Carnival’s Budget Cruise Line?

What does budget even mean?

I choose to use my 'budget' for 3 or 4 cruises in an inside cabin - the next person may choose to use their 'budget' for 1 cruise in a suite.

The thing is we're still all on the same ship, eating the same food, watching the same entertainment and sitting on the same sunbed.

I still love P&O 😊 budget or not.  It would appear there are a few problems occasionally but are you all not having the same problems with empty shelves in shops or buses not turning up due to lack of staff?  The whole world has been through a lot in the past couple of years and I doubt there isn't a person alive who hasn't been affected in one way or another.

Hopefully everything will get back to normal sooner rather than later.

• Like 6