Is P&O becoming Carnival’s Budget Cruise Line?

Tablelamp

12 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

But was it clearly labelled as a discussion thread or a statement of fact, we have had various discussions on a subject someone as posted as fact which turned out to be nothing but there fertile imagination.

The thread has been renamed, so we can rest easy in the knowledge that this is an opinion piece.

As your original post referred to the site as a whole, I thought you were  talking about the whole site 

4 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

I'm one of those on these boards, if you are offended by my referring to the 70 odd of those who follow it as some on these boards nothing I can do about it.

Those of us who post and comment have to accept responsibility for the opinions we give. I've no idea what your £5k refers to as it isn't my business. However you recently posted about another booking at around £800pp for a week on Azura in a balcony with a hotel and flights.  I'd say that's a very good deal and if I was looking for a holiday I'd call it budget.

I hope that helps.

Just as a matter of Interest, where does your figure of 70 odd originate from ?.

1 hour ago, lujaha said:

Things could change, but we are just back from Iona.  There was chicken on the menu in the MDR every night we went in.  Chicken all the time in the Quays, the Olive Grove and loads of chicken in the buffet for lunch.  

I certainly hope that continues. Part of the problem for the grandchildren ( and parents) on the cruise was that we had been on the same ship the previous week and also had lots of chicken. Our next one together is on Iona so hopefully there will be no problem for them food wise. One parent is talking about bringing a suitcase full of food to avoid the same situation she had last time.

45 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Just as a matter of Interest, where does your figure of 70 odd originate from ?.

The number of followers of P&O, currently showing 68. No doubt this is wrong but I'm sure as usual you'll make sure I'm put in my place!

30 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

The number of followers of P&O, currently showing 68. No doubt this is wrong but I'm sure as usual you'll make sure I'm put in my place!

No need for that. It was a genuine question. If I become a follower that will be 69. That's not many out of 1.6m members. Perhaps some others don't know about ' followers ' either.

17 minutes ago, zap99 said:

No need for that. It was a genuine question. If I become a follower that will be 69. That's not many out of 1.6m members. Perhaps some others don't know about ' followers ' either.

I apologise.  Unfortunately in recent times you and I don't appear to be anywhere near being able to have a civil conversation and my comment was because i believed that yet again you were about to tell me I'm wrong, misleading, biased etc.  As I say, I'm sorry for assuming.

I had however assumed that "followers" were those most interested in P&O and that I in fact had been slow to realise this when others have mentioned the figure 70 In other threads.  I've no idea how you unfollow though but I have noticed recently the number went down.

Edited by Megabear2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

I apologise.  Unfortunately in recent times you and I don't appear to be anywhere near being able to have a civil conversation and my comment was because i believed that yet again you were about to tell me I'm wrong, misleading, biased etc.  As I say, I'm sorry for assuming.

I had however assumed that "followers" were those most interested in P&O and that I in fact had been slow to realise this when others have mentioned the figure 70 In other threads.  I've no idea how you unfollow though but I have noticed recently the number went down.

Just out of interest what group are followers of p&o, I have visions of of you being in a longship following behind a cruise ship.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

Just out of interest what group are followers of p&o, I have visions of of you being in a longship following behind a cruise ship.

I've no idea, actually I'm not a follower of P&O but since I learned of the existence of following I joined up as a Cunard follower. Apparently all of us can have followers as individuals as well, perhaps I should follow you?  I quite like the idea of a boat full of followers but maybe Ben Hur's barge complete with oars and rowers is more my scene!

I think "followers" are notified if the person or group they are following makes a post, a bit like FB although I doubt individuals on these boards accumulate hundreds as a sign to boast of their popularity.

21 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

I've no idea, actually I'm not a follower of P&O but since I learned of the existence of following I joined up as a Cunard follower. Apparently all of us can have followers as individuals as well, perhaps I should follow you?  I quite like the idea of a boat full of followers but maybe Ben Hur's barge complete with oars and rowers is more my scene!

I think "followers" are notified if the person or group they are following makes a post, a bit like FB although I doubt individuals on these boards accumulate hundreds as a sign to boast of their popularity.

Actually you get a ' tick ' every time you get a ' like '. It can be searched as a popularity list. It's all nonsense of course, nobody looks at it. But as a matter of record out of 1.6m members, Graham Is fairly near the top, many who post on the P&O forum are in the top 100. Avril, wowzz etc

Nobody really takes any notice. Certainly not me as I think I am only just in the top 100. As I say ,nobody takes any notice.🤣

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, zap99 said:

Actually you get a ' tick ' every time you get a ' like '. It can be searched as a popularity list. It's all nonsense of course, nobody looks at it. But as a matter of record out of 1.6m members, Graham Is fairly near the top, many who post on the P&O forum are in the top 100. Avril, wowzz etc

Nobody really takes any notice. Certainly not me as I think I am only just in the top 100. As I say ,nobody takes any notice.🤣

Well there you go, I had no idea. Congratulations on being Top of the Pops Graham, all that beautiful food speaks volumes along with the  lovely wishes you send to people.

2 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Well there you go, I had no idea. Congratulations on being Top of the Pops Graham, all that beautiful food speaks volumes along with the  lovely wishes you send to people.

I can't remember how to do it. I think the term used is ' reputation ". Sorry 

So.ebody else may know ( remember ). Avril knows everything.

Just now, zap99 said:

I can't remember how to do it. I think the term used is ' reputation ". Sorry 

So.ebody else may know ( remember ). Avril knows everything.

As I say I'd no idea of its existence but I'm very glad that someone who always posts nice things is at the top of any list. Restores my faith in human nature.

• Like 5

I didn't know about this. I wasn't even sure what you were talking about. Then...... noticed a little 'follow' button at the bottom of the page. I haven't clicked it though. There is far too much pinging going on my phone anyway 

4 hours ago, Cathygh said:

I certainly hope that continues. Part of the problem for the grandchildren ( and parents) on the cruise was that we had been on the same ship the previous week and also had lots of chicken. Our next one together is on Iona so hopefully there will be no problem for them food wise. One parent is talking about bringing a suitcase full of food to avoid the same situation she had last time.

Bird flu could be the problem. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, happy v said:

I didn't know about this. I wasn't even sure what you were talking about. Then...... noticed a little 'follow' button at the bottom of the page. I haven't clicked it though. There is far too much pinging going on my phone anyway 

It appears that some regulars didn't know, Me Included. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, zap99 said:

Poor old Saga have 13 and Fred 11.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Thejuggler said:

Smaller adult only ships are always more expensive.

However P&O are spending significant sums advertising cruises from £86 a night (less than 15 years ago) which is all about 'bargain' pricing.

Although those who have previously cruised with any line know that price is a guarantee, inside, based on 2 sharing.   The reality of wanting a balcony or more, picking your own cabin, choosing select for OBC / parking,  cruising solo etc is very different.

• Like 10

15 minutes ago, Thejuggler said:

Smaller adult only ships are always more expensive.

However P&O are spending significant sums advertising cruises from £86 a night (less than 15 years ago) which is all about 'bargain' pricing.

That cruise you mentioned is it a balcony cabin and select price which we do as standard.