Is P&O becoming Carnival’s Budget Cruise Line?

Tablelamp

50 minutes ago, zap99 said:

As Azura is based in Spain in the winter and Malta in the summer. We can look forward to an abundance of prawns, unless it's really operational reasons.🤣

The prawns of course would most liked be unavailable there either as they are coldwater prawns not warm water.

In the supermarkets cooked and prepared prawns are either Canadian or Greenland for cold water or Thai or Vietnamese for warm water (King prawns etc).  Uncooked prawns are all from the latter two.

Unfortunately the UK has a pretty appalling agreement with the EU on fish despite all the promises to sort it by 2021 or at least  that's what the Brixham fishermen tell me.

As an aside on shellfish: approximately 10,000 tonnes of whelks are caught annually in the Bristol Channel and exported to Asia.  Whelks and cockles are apparently on the list of the UK's top exports.  Sadly as a result we can't even suggest P&O offer whelk salads as a substitute for prawn cocktails.

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

The prawns of course would most liked be unavailable there either as they are coldwater prawns not warm water.

In the supermarkets cooked and prepared prawns are either Canadian or Greenland for cold water or Thai or Vietnamese for warm water (King prawns etc).  Uncooked prawns are all from the latter two.

Unfortunately the UK has a pretty appalling agreement with the EU on fish despite all the promises to sort it by 2021 or at least  that's what the Brixham fishermen tell me.

As an aside on shellfish: approximately 10,000 tonnes of whelks are caught annually in the Bristol Channel and exported to Asia.  Whelks and cockles are apparently on the list of the UK's top exports.  Sadly as a result we can't even suggest P&O offer whelk salads as a substitute for prawn cocktails.

RC have as always available........snails.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, zap99 said:

RC have as always available........snails.

Imports from Italy I was told on Celebrity.  I wanted to know why they were called escargots if they were Italian but the waiter didn't know what la lumaca was. They were in the French themed restaurant as well, perhaps I should write a review complaining about it.

Edited by Megabear2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, zap99 said:

As Azura is based in Spain in the winter and Malta in the summer. We can look forward to an abundance of prawns, unless it's really operational reasons.🤣

An "abundance of prawns"? Come on Zap, although there is no collective noun for prawns I'd have expected you to come up with something better than that!

I was going to suggest a "pack" but that sounds too small so how about a "parade of prawns"? 🙂

Edited by DamianG
  • Haha 3

Some ggod news! Haad a letter from P&O just now, saying, in brief (can't get a decent photo of it to post here)

• Peninsular Club Cocktail parties are back
  • World Cruise and Grand Tour events are back for Ligurian tier
  • Afternoon tea will be back
  • New activities - art and crafts, dance classes etc
  • My Holiday app will be optional so you can make face to face bookings (not sure this is new - you could still do that)

No news about prawns, chicken or cocktail napkins.

• Haha 6

7 minutes ago, Cathygh said:

Some ggod news! Haad a letter from P&O just now, saying, in brief (can't get a decent photo of it to post here)

• Peninsular Club Cocktail parties are back
  • World Cruise and Grand Tour events are back for Ligurian tier
  • Afternoon tea will be back
  • New activities - art and crafts, dance classes etc
  • My Holiday app will be optional so you can make face to face bookings (not sure this is new - you could still do that)

No news about prawns, chicken or cocktail napkins.

We have had the same letter this morning.

Just one thing to add to save any confusion: cocktail parties and afternoon tea will not be available on Iona and Arvia but will be available on the other 5 ships. Seems quite fair bearing in mind the low prices being offered for cruising on Iona and Arvia and the fact Iona and Arvia also have features, attractive to many, that the others don’t have.

Edited by pete14
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, pete14 said:

Just one thing to add to save any confusion: cocktail parties and afternoon tea will not be available on Iona and Arvia but will be available on the other 5 ships. Seems quite fair bearing in mind the low prices being offered for cruising on Iona and Arvia and the fact Iona and Arvia also have features, attractive to many, that the others don’t have.

This is at the moment. I think there is a longer term plan to try and get afternoon tea back onboard these ships on sea days but they need to sort staffing out first.

• Like 2

Anyone that has travelled on NCL or RCL since covid will know they have zero atmosphere, whereas P&O have filled the ships with good offers, not over the top drinks prices, allowed passenger's to take a litre of sprits on, done good destinations.... See you in 6 weeks Tenerife 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Trimone said:

Anyone that has travelled on NCL or RCL since covid will know they have zero atmosphere, whereas P&O have filled the ships with good offers, not over the top drinks prices, allowed passenger's to take a litre of sprits on, done good destinations.... See you in 6 weeks Tenerife 

Haven't been on NCL since freedom day, but have been on RCI and Celebrity. Loads of atmosphere. Won't see us in Tenerife in 6 weeks.  We go on Friday.  Drinks prices on RC were well ott, but we had a drinks package on X, so didn't really notice.