Eurodam Panama Canal Partial Transit -- exact timing for onboard viewing and excursion

mleng

Hi, my wife and I will be on Eurodam March 25-April 2 trip.  It will be at Panama Canal on March 31, but the itinerary description by the cruise line is a little confusing.  Here is a direct copy&paste from the website:

Enter Panama Canal Cristobal
Arrive: 5:00 AM Depart: 5:00 AM

Cruising Panama Canal and Gatun Lake
Gatun Lake, Panama
Arrive: 9:00 AM Depart: 10:00 AM

Cruising Gatun Lake and Panama Canal
Exit Panama Canal Cristobal
Arrive: 1:00 PM Depart: 1:00 PM

Colon, Panama
Arrive: 3:00 PM Depart: 8:00 PM

We are not familiar with the detailed locations of everything, but based on my understanding, all the excursions will depart the ship at Gatun Lake (9 AM according to the itinerary above), then rejoin the ship in Colon between 3 and 8 PM.  

Our questions are:

1. What time range is optimal viewing from the ship? 

2. Even if the ship is in the lock between Cristobal and Gatun Lake, it's between 5 and 9 AM.  Between getting up in the morning, breakfast, and getting ready to go on the excursion, we won't have time to see any of the canal. Is this understanding correct? It boils down to one key question: if we take an excursion and get off the ship at 9 AM and rejoin at 3 PM, are we missing all the good viewing? 

3. Where exactly does the ship dock at Gatun Lake to let people off for excursions? 

4. Also, just for my own understanding, on a partial transit, does the ship go through the Gatun locks, hang out in Gatun Lake for a while, then go back through the Agua Clara Locks?  How far into the Gatun Lake does the ship usually go?  Based on Google Map, the 

5. One of the excursions we are looking at is a kayak trip.  Its description is not very clear about exactly what's entailed.  It talks about Agua Clara locks, but I am not sure if we actually paddle through the locks or we are just paddling in the lake for a while, then be taken to the Aqua Clara locks on land.  And where is the area that we will be kayaking?  If anybody has done this excursion, I would appreciate a detailed play-by-play.

Thanks.

The ship will enter the first lock close to sunrise...so anytime between 6 and 7am, usually. They pay extra for the timed entrance. Most people get up early to be there when approaching and entering the locks.

The ship doesn't dock in Gatun Lake. It tenders pax ashore that have purchased excursions ONLY.

The ship transits the Gatun Locks twice, hopefully, as those are the old locks, which you want to use, once in each direction.

1. What time range is optimal viewing from the ship? You will probably enter the Atlantic breakwater some time around 5, picking up the pilot.

2. Even if the ship is in the lock between Cristobal and Gatun Lake, it's between 5 and 9 AM.  Between getting up in the morning, breakfast, and getting ready to go on the excursion, we won't have time to see any of the canal. Is this understanding correct? It boils down to one key question: if we take an excursion and get off the ship at 9 AM and rejoin at 3 PM, are we missing all the good viewing? More than likely you will arrive at Gatun Locks a little after 6.  While the sun doesn't rise until about 6:20 there are things to be seen as you travel from the breakwater to Gatun Locks.  Colon and Cristobal on the port side, sailing under the Atlantic Bridge, after passing under the Bridge a good view of the new Agua Clara Locks again on the port side.  On the starboard side before you get to the Gatun Locks you will have a quick opportunity to see what is left of the original French excavation.  Even though it will be dark moving towards twilight and dawn, there is a lot of illumination for you to be able to see.  Breakfast could be a little challenging on this day.  Maybe a good time to fill up on those Panama Rolls HAL is famous for.  After you leave the ship for your excursion you will miss the return down trip through Gatun Locks.  This is mostly a replay of what you experienced in the morning.

3. Where exactly does the ship dock at Gatun Lake to let people off for excursions?  No docking in Gatun Lake, only tendering.  The tendering takes place in the Gatun Lake Anchorage very near the former Gatun Yacht Club which is in sight of Gatun Locks... maybe half mile away.

4. Also, just for my own understanding, on a partial transit, does the ship go through the Gatun locks, hang out in Gatun Lake for a while, then go back through the Agua Clara Locks?  How far into the Gatun Lake does the ship usually go?  Based on Google Map, the  The ship generally stays very near the same location where the tendering took place.  Normally you will be able to see Gatun Locks from where you are anchored. Your ship will return through Gatun Locks.

5. One of the excursions we are looking at is a kayak trip.  Its description is not very clear about exactly what's entailed.  It talks about Agua Clara locks, but I am not sure if we actually paddle through the locks or we are just paddling in the lake for a while, then be taken to the Aqua Clara locks on land.  And where is the area that we will be kayaking?  If anybody has done this excursion, I would appreciate a detailed play-by-play.  I don't have any direct knowledge on the kayak excursion, but I suspect they may include a stop at the Visitor's Center at Agua Clara Locks on your way to the kayaks.  I believe the kayak activity takes place at the Melia Hotel facilities which are located at another area of Gatun Lake, I am confident you won't be any where near either locks in a kayak.

On Jan 21, Eurodam did a partial transit via Gatun locks.  At 0740 she was sitting outside the first lock awaiting her turn.  By 0920 she was all the way up and sitting in the middle lock, stuck there half an hour… by 0936 she was moving into the third lock.  By 1300 she was moving back through the locks on the way to Colon.  EM

Play by play, Eurodam partial transit today, Feb. 1 2023

0630 just inside breakwater in Limon Bay:

00-WxZi_LU868kT2HrtfQ4xeUif5jgFlzWejUl8v

0700 just off Cristobal

0730 Just entering channel to Gatun Locks

Datestamp 0732 you can see her having just passed the Atlantic bridge, far upper right

Approach to Gatun seen from Agua Clara cam

The canal people usually leave an open lock between vessels, so Eurodam had to wait for the cargo ship to move into the third lock before she could move into the first.  Here she is just entering the first lock:

It is 0841 and she is all the way up in the first lock and gate is open into the second:

It is 0902 and the gates are opening for her to move into the third lock.  Those lucky folks on Portside balconies will lose their views of the lovely Camilla, the EUKOR RO/RO:

In the third lock by 0915

Up and moving out of the locks by 0925

This is as far as she goes into Gatun Lake/the canal.  It's 1140 and it looks like she is picking up her tenders

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1