Why Room Service 18% Gratuity fee, when included?

gkbiiii

6 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

And IVs are a traditional balcony!  Fancy X marketing, Concierge is a room category, they have balconies and a few extra perks.  You get a "Concierge-Class Concierge" who is different (and presumed has less priority) than the Retreat Concierge

But I've seen them dressed like butlers, delivering the afternoon canapes.

I’m sorry to see all the ugly comments that people choose to say on these boards, but I have said this before and will say it again, as long as celebrity’s passengers go along with all this extra charging and tipping it will never change. It will also never go away. I’m sad to see that the majority of comments I read are not upset by these extra fees, downgrading of the food experience, not having the ships staffed properly, lots of excuses for celebrity. 
It is sad that this is happening to the cruise industry under the assumption that Covid caused this to happen yet the CEOs of this industry still will get their millions of dollar bonuses, so keep paying these up charges, keep getting less then fine cuisine in the main dining rooms so you will pay to eat in the specialty dining rooms.

will I stop cruising….no…will I switch to a more upgraded cruiseline? Possibly.

I will also continue to find the best deals out there, will not order room service and if I should eat in a specialty restaurant there certainly will be no cash tip as there always was in the past.

• Like 3

On 1/31/2023 at 4:32 PM, ORV said:

Let us know when you get a Class Action going on this. I think we should all sign up. Oh wait, I've never used room service, before or since. 

Agree, good laugh.  You definitely have three choices 

#1 - don't order room service

#2 - pay the $ for room service

#3 - don't cruise so you have no fees at all

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, gizmodog said:

I’m sorry to see all the ugly comments that people choose to say on these boards, but I have said this before and will say it again, as long as celebrity’s passengers go along with all this extra charging and tipping it will never change. It will also never go away. I’m sad to see that the majority of comments I read are not upset by these extra fees, downgrading of the food experience, not having the ships staffed properly, lots of excuses for celebrity. 
It is sad that this is happening to the cruise industry under the assumption that Covid caused this to happen yet the CEOs of this industry still will get their millions of dollar bonuses, so keep paying these up charges, keep getting less then fine cuisine in the main dining rooms so you will pay to eat in the specialty dining rooms.

I will also continue to find the best deals out there, will not order room service and if I should eat in a specialty restaurant there certainly will be no cash tip as there always was in the past.

All of which you are perfectly entitled to do and good on you for doing what you feel is right for you. However, not sure it’s accurate to suggest majority of posters on here are not upset by the changes (I would guess close to 50 / 50), and I’m also not sure why it bothers you. They too are entitled to their opinions and will do what they feel is right for them

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, gizmodog said:

1~ I actually replied in the very beginning, I was in no way trying to be being "ugly" I thought the OP had made a mistake posting on this board and meant to post in NCL. Their reply told me all I needed to know. They are clearly relying on decades old cruising experiences/knowledge that sadly no longer applies. Cruising isn't what it once was, we all agree on that! Starting a thread claiming illegal actions, imo is "ugly" 

2~ There are many threads regarding how unhappy people are with these changes. As a matter of fact one was locked down yesterday that was calling out all the negativity on this board since Jan 1st (when the changes went into effect) Many have posted they've booked with other cruise lines, Oceania is mentioned often. 

3~ Since gratuties are now added at the time of booking for specialties, your final statement makes no matter. I assume even prior to the changes many didn't tip extra so that could be just one of the reasons for this change as well. 

Patty 

@cw2go you are completely correct!

Yes, I am upset about the changes, but "could" have been ok with them if there had been some sort of announcement! The lack of transparency by X is most annoying and they excuse is "well, everyone else is doing it" just isn't cutting it with me!

I wear "big girl panties", be honest with me and then let the chips fall where they may, but the "stealthy" addition of fees, hoping most won't notice borders on discerption. Legal action, no....but people do have the right to be upset....and voice their opinions.

FWIW, I AM upset about the additional fees, the downgrading of the food, the lack of staffing, etc. There are the reasons I book with X and for them to start nickeling and dime-ing me isn't the "premium" line I expected when I booked.

Edited by CaroleSS
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, cw2go said:

1~ I actually replied in the very beginning, I was in no way trying to be being "ugly" I thought the OP had made a mistake posting on this board and meant to post in NCL. Their reply told me all I needed to know. They are clearly relying on decades old cruising experiences/knowledge that sadly no longer applies. Cruising isn't what it once was, we all agree on that! Starting a thread claiming illegal actions, imo is "ugly" 

2~ There are many threads regarding how unhappy people are with these changes. As a matter of fact one was locked down yesterday that was calling out all the negativity on this board since Jan 1st (when the changes went into effect) Many have posted they've booked with other cruise lines, Oceania is mentioned often. 

3~ Since gratuties are now added at the time of booking for specialties, your final statement makes no matter. I assume even prior to the changes many didn't tip extra so that could be just one of the reasons for this change as well. 

Patty 

We cruised in October on Solstice and one couple of 3 at our table, went to CS on Friday night & asked that the auto gratuities be removed so she could tip our waiter ( she was embarrassed because her good friends at the table, and us, all were tipping for great, fun table and service.) They were not hurting for money. Yet, there you go…..some people pay for a cruise and decide anything “extra” is something they just don’t want to do !

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, CaroleSS said:

@cw2go you are completely correct!

Yes, I am upset about the changes, but "could" have been ok with them if there had berm some sort of announcement! The lack of transparency by X is most annoying and they excuse is "well, everyone else is doing it" just is t cutting it with me!

I wear "big girl panties", be honest with me and then let the chips fall where they may, but the "stealthy" addition of fees, hoping most won't notice borders on discerption. Legal action, no....but people do have the right to be upset....and voice their opinions.

FWIW, I AM upset about the additional fees, the downgrading of the food, the lack of staffing, etc. There are the reasons I book with X and for them to start nickeling and dime-ing me isn't the "premium" line I expected when I booked.

As am I!

I posted support for those who enjoy a buffet even though I do not. I sail in 10 days and I plan to have a great time but am grateful to all of those who have been posting the past few months in real time the current ship board life so that I am prepared. To stay on topic: As for room service, I also posted that I felt those who booked with this as a perk should be grandfathered in. 

I was just explaining many people are rightfully upset, imo! 

Edited by cw2go
  • Like 3

We have sailed in Aqua for a while, bases on several factors, one being the expanded breakfast menu. We pay extra for that perk" (among other things).

We enjoy sitting on our balcony and having a leisurely breakfast on sea days.....just watching the world go by! It is part of our "experience" and we look forward to it! Now we will have to pay an extra $12 for that experience. Will it change our behavior.....not sure. Likely not had we been told of the changes in advance, but now I have a thorn in my side about it and we will likely NOT take advantage of RS and will clog up the OVC with everyone else.

Yes, the charge may have been necessary, for a number of reasons, but why not TELL me about it? It's the secrecy - bait and switch - that annoys me more!

• Like 5

On 1/31/2023 at 5:16 PM, gkbiiii said:

Not only are you being charged a bogus $7.95 delivery fees, but your now being charged 18% gratuities on top.  

Does this mean a delivery from room service costs $9.39 ($7.95 x 1.18) or is the 18% dependent on what you are ordering?  ie would delivery of two burgers cost more than one? 

3 minutes ago, TwoBeAtSea said:

Does this mean a delivery from room service costs $9.39 ($7.95 x 1.18) or is the 18% dependent on what you are ordering?  ie would delivery of two burgers cost more than one? 

It is $9.95 + 18% per delivery regardless of how many items. 

Edited by Mark_T
  • Like 3

Charging this $9.95  service fee is absurd  ,Another nail in the cruise line coffin imo . What is going on with the  bean counters ? Don't they realize   that  at some point adding real costs ,lessening good quality & quantity &  thus making the cruise experience less than a good vacation & will result in  at a point in  time   that people in general will do other types of vacations . The general public in the US  pocket book is getting a lot thiner with this high inflation . Remember that charity really does begin at home first .Paying that mortgage bill every month or rent bill & all other bills takes priority over cruises  .already most American families have dipped into savings to stay afloat & hoping for a better tomorrow

Another sore subject are cruise lines hacking up the service gratuities to attract more workers because they are running   low on staff  ,Just another coffin nail imo  because increases& cut backs  with out giving more to the customer  equals their ultimate demise  

Watching the cruise prices escalate  will not bring in more new customers in fact the opposite results ,This is basic economics one .Sugar coatings blow away