Why Room Service 18% Gratuity fee, when included?

gkbiiii

Room Service gratuities were always included in your base daily gratuities; so why are they being charged a second time?  Not only are you being charged a bogus $7.95 delivery fees, but your now being charged 18% gratuities on top.  So why is Celebrity not reducing, the general daily gratuities fees, to address this?  I don't believe this is legal, as it represents double billing!

Edited by gkbiiii
  • Like 1
  • Haha 11

• gkbiiii changed the title to Why Room Service 18% Gratuity fee, when included?

How long ago were they "always included"?  I have only been cruising for about 10 years, but I've never seen them included in daily gratuities.  I thought only MDR and stateroom were included.  You pay extra gratuities for drinks, spa, specialty dining, etc.  Why would everyone pay gratuities for something they might not use?

• Like 3

How long ago were they "always included"?  I have only been cruising for about 10 years, but I've never seen them included in daily gratuities.  I thought only MDR and stateroom were included.  You pay extra gratuities for drinks, spa, specialty dining, etc.  Why would everyone pay gratuities for something they might not use?

Edited by AmberCascades

Just now, 39august said:

Room Service gratuity was never part of the daily gratuities.

That's not true, as my friend Paul Motter (Editor & Chief of Cruise Mates) told me on my first NCL cruise.  The Daily gratuities" included ALL dining (non-Specialty), cabin service, etc.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, gkbiiii said:

That's not true, as my friend Paul Motter (Editor & Chief of Cruise Mates) told me on my first NCL cruise.  The Daily gratuities" included ALL dining (non-Specialty), cabin service, etc.  

The Dining Room gratuities are shared with the back of the house culinary, including Room Service, buffets, cooks, runners, etc.  Bar is separate, which is why they get a service gratuity for purchases. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AmberCascades said:

Right you never set foot in either the Buffet or Main Dining Rooms, yet still are charged tip fee, even when you used none of their services.  Yet you then pay another, for your Specialty Dining!

9 minutes ago, gkbiiii said:

This is Celebrity, what NCL did is irrelevant? 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Algebralovr said:

I was told by one of the M'd's a few years ago that the room service folks were part of the standard gratuity pool. Just that a lot of people gave extra

Right exactly, the cash does not 100% go to the Wait Staff; few people realize this, as it is not mentioned much by cruise lines. 

A simple answer the cruise line has chosen to add a separate gratuity to a service not everyone uses.  

The MDR or other included food options are used by all passengers ( unless of course they don’t eat or drink anything) so rather than increasing the daily gratuity for everyone they are adding a gratuity to room service for those who want than convenience.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gkbiiii said:

Room Service gratuities were always included in your base daily gratuities; so why are they being charged a second time?  Not only are you being charged a bogus $7.95 delivery fees, but your now being charged 18% gratuities on top.  So why is Celebrity not reducing, the general daily gratuities fees, to address this?  I don't believe this is legal, as it represents double billing!

Legal please it is a charge just like any other - you use the service you are charged.  You do know that most cruise ships do not fly under a US flag for a reason 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, gkbiiii said:

Look at it in these term. When you have a beverage package with included gratuities you will still incur an extra gratuity when you order a beverage of a value higher than the limit. If you get a continental breakfast you pay nothing. Any other time it is an upcharge so a gratuity applies.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, gkbiiii said:

$̶7̶.̶9̶5̶  it's $9.95

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, gkbiiii said:

By the way, do Concierge & Aqua still get High Tea Service in their cabins, or has that been eliminated or now subject to this $9.95+ fee?

Those rooms have never gotten "high tea." They get some bite size canapes that aren't usually very good. Suites used to get a dessert/tea cart in the afternoon, which went away some years back. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, dcbiker97 said:

Those rooms have never gotten "high tea." They get some bite size canapes that aren't usually very good. Suites used to get a dessert/tea cart in the afternoon, which went away some years back. 

Currently, Concierge still lists the 'Daily delectable delights' as an amenity, but there is nothing similar listed for Aqua...

1 minute ago, gkbiiii said:

I thought "Concierge" was a butler like product, or am I wrong?

And IVs are a traditional balcony!  Fancy X marketing, Concierge is a room category, they have balconies and a few extra perks.  You get a "Concierge-Class Concierge" who is different (and presumed has less priority) than the Retreat Concierge