New to Siverseas too! Packing advice

travelfan20

Hi , 

Tried to find this via search bar but no luck .

Trying to "think  about" packing  for a BA to Rio cruise starting feb 12th. 

How formal is formal ? Do I need a dark suit and another pair of dress shoes ?

Long ways to drag suit just for dinner . Trying to keep packing to a minimum

Yes I know i can go for pizza on the formal night but but really?

Last cruise we did was with Regent , seems a bit more relaxed 

Looking forward to adventure and experience 

thank you for any advice 

16 minutes ago, travelfan20 said:

How formal is formal?

Formal.

18 minutes ago, travelfan20 said:

Do I need a dark suit and another pair of dress shoes?

Depends on where you want to dine that evening.

19 minutes ago, travelfan20 said:

Long ways to drag suit just for dinner . Trying to keep packing to a minimum.

Should have thought of that before booking a SS classic cruise.

20 minutes ago, travelfan20 said:

I know i can go for pizza on the formal night but but really?

Yes, really. You can also dine in the other venues that do not require formal wear on formal night.

22 minutes ago, travelfan20 said:

Last cruise we did was with Regent , seems a bit more relaxed.

Yes, Regent is.

Best stick with them if you don’t like formal as many, many others have done here through the years.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On shorter cruises like this, my husband wears a jacket & tie with gray pants on formal nights. It's not necessary to take a suit or tux. No one notices men's shoes. As long as they are black and decent, that's good enough. Some people like to dress up, and some don't. Both are ok. Personally, we don't like to take extra clothes to wear for just one night.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My husband traveled with carry on and was able to bring a tux which he wore with the usual formal shirt, cummerbund etc. He brought well shined black loafers..these he could also wear every other night. For excursions he had good walking shoes which he also wore on the plane. He took a blazer, grey flannel trousers, 2 button down dress shirts, a couple of ties, 2 polo ****, two khaki daytime trousers, a neutral color cashmere sweater, sometimes a fleece jacket or rain gear. He also packed easy to wash out socks and under gear. Allowed size toiletries rounded out his packing. He always dressed appropriately and looked great. I got a kick out of how proud he was of himself. A few years ago I have started traveling with just carry on, and while it can be bit of a challenge, I like a challenge.

I think our success at managing and actually enjoying the Silversea dress code is why I get a little and sometimes a lot irritated by the constant whining over requested dressing.

• Like 8

6 hours ago, travelfan20 said:

thanks for your thoughts ...first timer may be a one timer will see how it goes 

you are right lots of choices and options out there 

Don't forget you can dine in your suite and wear no clothes at all.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

37 minutes ago, Mr Luxury said:

A good Butler doesn't raise an eyebrow.

He might say

"Would Sir like me to iron your suit"

A few years ago our butler got into our closet and when we got back to the cabin my formal wear….a tux at the time…was all laid out on the bed.  He came by shortly after we entered the cabin and told me he had gotten my shirt pressed and my shoes shined.  He said he wanted his guests to look their best.  👍🙂

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Randyk47 said:

A few years ago our butler got into our closet and when we got back to the cabin my formal wear….a tux at the time…was all laid out on the bed.  He came by shortly after we entered the cabin and told me he had gotten my shirt pressed and my shoes shined.  He said he wanted his guests to look their best.  👍🙂

I'm not sure that was the suit being referred to Randy.

• Haha 4

Did see a whole new category of packing for a cruise.  There are heavy packers, carry on packers, and now wear it on packers.  A passenger got on in San Juan a week ago and wore the exact same outfit for seven days.  😬

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Spotbattman said:

These days there are very few places where we can dress up. I wear a long dress and my husband wears black tie. If we book a SS cruise we know this is the requirement. 

Black tie and long gowns are not the dress code requirements. Please check SS website for actual requirements. Let us not scare off potential SS cruisers.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Randyk47 said:

Did see a whole new category of packing for a cruise.  There are heavy packers, carry on packers, and now wear it on packers.  A passenger got on in San Juan a week ago and wore the exact same outfit for seven days.  😬

Was his case lost

19 minutes ago, Randyk47 said:

Maybe but then again the one outfit he had was a bit unusual as it was.  Like in bizarre unusual.  

Sounds like Paul from Orlando, who wore the exact same outfit on every excursion during a Grand Voyage of South America.

Edited by Stumblefoot

23 hours ago, travelfan20 said:

Long ways to drag suit just for dinner . Trying to keep packing to a minimum

Understood.

Yes, you could have (really good) pizza for dinner, but as pointed out above room service is an option, as is eating at the grill on the pool deck with many great choices for a meal.  Some folks just having fun above, which has turned out to be our #1 reason for Silversea - the people who are on the cruise with us & the ones posting on this board, who like adventure and experience as you seek, but add fun to those 2 goals.  Another option is to wear a dark sport coat on the flight & for boarding, then wear it with dark trousers, and you will be able to eat wherever you want on a formal night, or any other.  Oh, and pack a tie that'll go with one of your shirts.  Hope your first Silversea cruise exceeds your expectations, as ours did not too long ago. 

• Like 3