Specialty restaurants & dress code

The head waiter or whomever was at the door in 150 Central Park on Harmony can be cranky.  On September 3, 2023, just a few months ago, several in our party showed up in nice khaki golf shorts with polos for the men and ladies in dress shorts and dress top, no flip flops.  We forgot it was dress your best night.  The rest of us were either in sundresses or long khakis.  We had dressed in this attire the entire cruise and nobody had said anything.  We had been to Coastal kitchen, Jamies, Chops, Sabor, Wonderland.

The door person leaned over to our genie and insisted he tell us we had to change into long pants before we were admitted.  I am absolutely convinced that if we didn't have a genie, she would not have said anything.  She felt empowered because she didn't have to confront us directly, rather hiding behind the genie and asking him to ask us to change.

The servers seemed mortified and it ended up the best dinner on the ship.  They kept bringing everything on the menu for us to taste.  

It is rare, but it can happen that you are asked to change out of shorts on formal night at a specialty restaurant especially if the person at the door is having a bad day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Kbonner said:

As a frequent cruiser, I have never experienced guests that are showing off in such gutter clothing like tankshirts and flip-flops in CK on formal nights. Is this rude and selfish behavior isolated to US departures? Does it come along with people who cruise once in 10 years in a suite and do not understand common social behavior?

Our tablemates on the Allure had cut-off T-shirts, shorts, and flip-flops on "formal" night.  While it was weird for a moment as we were all decked out, they were a fun group, just a different lifestyle.  So they indeed were allowed in, and it didn't affect our dining experience. 

I guess you could ask to switch tables if this disturbs your experience.  To each their own.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, GetToLivin said:

Things I "care about" when observing other people is their kindness to the servers/staff and not having a show/sports playing on their phone for all to hear during a meal (and yep THAT happened). Wearing flip flops? You do you.

This quote should end every dress code thread on CC.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

One of our vacations back in time was a 4 day  cruise  from FT Lauderdale to Mexico and back  on the Voyager of the Seas around spring vacation time period. And during the first day before we left port, we and just about everyone else were up on the pool deck waiting to depart and as I looked around I said to my wife "I don't think this is going to be good with all of these young folks having way too much to drink and partying"  Well that night and every night thereafter in the MDR you would think we were on a fashion show cruise because they were, above everybody the best dressed on board.  I would think a lot of that is still the same because when we take our daughter and husband out to dinner we go to her type of restaurants and see how the young  folks dress.

7 hours ago, Husky1987 said:

This quote should end every dress code thread on CC.

I never said it mattered in the least what you wear when. The question was about dressing for specialty restaurants and I was simply reporting what we saw happen on 3 recent cruises at both Chops and Giovanni’s.

16 hours ago, Kbonner said:

As a frequent cruiser, I have never experienced guests that are showing off in such gutter clothing like tankshirts and flip-flops in CK on formal nights. Is this rude and selfish behavior isolated to US departures? Does it come along with people who cruise once in 10 years in a suite and do not understand common social behavior?

I would greatly hope you have a good chiropractor that can treat the issues you will have from looking down your nose at others.

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, Kbonner said:

If it is such a problem, it sounds like you are the one whose social behavior is uncommon.

I suggest you ask RCI to implement a dress code; telling cruisers to adhere to your arbitrary dress preferences will likely not be as effective.