Specialty restaurants & dress code

Haven’t sailed Royal in many many many years.  We have the specialty dining package on the symphony.  Wondering what the dress code is to possibly avoid packing a garment bag. Any tips on this package would also be greatly appreciated. 

‘thank you so much!

5 minutes ago, funredhead said:

Haven’t sailed Royal in many many many years.  We have the specialty dining package on the symphony.  Wondering what the dress code is to possibly avoid packing a garment bag. Any tips on this package would also be greatly appreciated. 

‘thank you so much!

No bathing suites.  Other than that you are good to go.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

No bathing suites.

How does one wear a "bathing suite?"  😉  To answer the OP's question, I usually wear a pair of khakis and a nicer shirt.  Wife wears whatever.  We don't take a garment bag anymore, just what we bring in the suitcases.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

21 minutes ago, Cigar King said:

How does one wear a "bathing suite?"  😉  To answer the OP's question, I usually wear a pair of khakis and a nicer shirt.  Wife wears whatever.  We don't take a garment bag anymore, just what we bring in the suitcases.

I once wore a wardrobe.

• Haha 3

Is one able to wear shorts, a t-shirt, and flippie floppies? This could be a game changer for this cruising couple, if so! We've been stuck with NCL due to their relaxed dress code and my understanding is that RCL doesn't allow flippie floppies/shorts in their dining rooms.

Thanks!:)

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

Is one able to wear shorts, a t-shirt, and flippie floppies? This could be a game changer for this cruising couple, if so! We've been stuck with NCL due to their relaxed dress code and my understanding is that RCL doesn't allow flippie floppies/shorts in their dining rooms.

Thanks!:)

I have seen everything on you list worn on Formal night except the flip flops. They now let absolute pigs into main dining and specialty. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Thanks y'all!! This is so helpful! I can finally start looking at Sky and Star class rooms. I really want to try out Icon of the Seas, but wasn't going to bother if they really didn't allow folks in with flippie floppies. It's vacation. I'm relaxing! During work when I'm paid, I'll wear the suit and tie every day, but when I'm paying, I'll wear what I like and Norwegian's Haven has always provided that for me. 

I know some of you aren't happy about this (looking at you @taglovestocruise), but I'm ecstatic to have more lines to choose from than just NCL! 

@cruiselvr04, I grew up as a Catholic (altar server), Boy Scout (Eagle Scout here) who for fun is also gay. I don't care what anything thinks any longer. I'll strut my Millennial self in and enjoy my meal. I do, however, appreciate the caution! Many thanks! 

• Like 4

On 2/1/2023 at 3:58 PM, Ourusualbeach said:

No bathing suites.  Other than that you are good to go.

On our recent Explorer cruise Chops and Giovanni’s were telling people with shorts, flip flops and tshirts that the dress code required a real shirt, slacks and shoes. They were allowing them time to go change. Most of those we observed did return. 

You do you!  If someone lets what other people wear to dinner dictate if they have a good time or not is on them, lol.  My mom is a travel agent so we always pack for my hubby a pair of pants and a long sleeve button down but only wear them if absolutely necessary.  Oh and alway pack anything you can't live without in your carryon...meds, swimsuits, a change of clothes, etc..  I think you are good with a nice pair of shorts and a button-down or pants and a button-down. You paid for your vacation not for other people to enjoy theirs!!  Have fun.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, fredmdcruisers said:

Inaccurate information. It depends on the ship and the head waiter. 

must have been the only Head Waiter who hadn't yet received less than a 10 on his survey.

he won't last long with that attitude

For us as a family and now the two of us we always wore the proper clothes dictated at that time.  We haven't been on a cruise for about 10 years now, and living in Florida always feels like we're on vacation and wearing  land vacation clothes continuously.  So in the last couple of weeks I have expressed to my wife about a cruise vacation and she asked me what is the dress code nowadays and I told her it's not anything like it was years ago, she said to me that was all part of the vacation mode, beautiful surroundings, dining room with plush decor, etc., so she said she's not interested and I agree with her.  So for everyone else have a great cruise, and for us we always had a great time and memories.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cruisegus said:

must have been the only Head Waiter who hadn't yet received less than a 10 on his survey.

he won't last long with that attitude

It's not an attitude. It is someone who made it to headwaiter in a specialty restaurant by enforced the cruise line rules.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

It's not an attitude. It is someone who made it to headwaiter in a specialty restaurant by enforced the cruise line rules.

and after his specialty restaurant gets a 2 on the survey and he gets called out by name, he can say good bye to his job.

Time have changed if you ate so hung up on what you wear to dinner,  you shouldn't sail mass market cruise lines.  No one wants to be told what to wear to dinner any more, at least not in America. 

Blame it on the rise in the lower middle class that can now afford a vacation 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

RCI does not have dress code “rules” beyond the bare minimum of not being naked or its functional equivalent, so there is nothing to enforce.  There is certainly no formality rule.

Edited by baelor
  • Haha 2