How much cash?

Seemecruise

We’re going in March and haven’t been in 19 years so I kind of have the same question.  I know we spent cash on some taxis in Tahiti itself last time and also we did most of our shopping for gifts and items for us at the market in Papeete.  I recall we bought vanilla, and several other small things.  I can’t recall what we bought outside of Tahiti itself though I know we came home with one pearl.  Will watch this space in case anyone with more recent knowledge weighs in.  Cheers

58 minutes ago, ChrisC101 said:

We’re going in March and haven’t been in 19 years so I kind of have the same question.  I know we spent cash on some taxis in Tahiti itself last time and also we did most of our shopping for gifts and items for us at the market in Papeete.  I recall we bought vanilla, and several other small things.  I can’t recall what we bought outside of Tahiti itself though I know we came home with one pearl.  Will watch this space in case anyone with more recent knowledge weighs in.  Cheers

Did you purchase your items at the market in Papeete with local currency or you were able to use your credit card?

10 minutes ago, ChrisC101 said:

At that time we used local currency cash, but like I say that was 19 years ago.  So be curious what other replies show up here as I am interested too!

We were in Papeete in 2021 and were able to use credit cards at some booths, and only local cash at others, in the market. Jewelry shops took credit cards without issue.

13 hours ago, cruisinsusin said:

We were in Papeete in 2021 and were able to use credit cards at some booths, and only local cash at others, in the market. Jewelry shops took credit cards without issue.

Do you know if there is ATM by the market?  Also, those booths that only take cash, will they take USD?

Thank you.

1 minute ago, chubbypiggy said:

Do you know if there is ATM by the market?  Also, those booths that only take cash, will they take USD?

Thank you.

I did not look for an ATM by the market so not sure. I had local currency so did not try to use USD. All prices were in local currency however.

2 minutes ago, cruisinsusin said:

I did not look for an ATM by the market so not sure. I had local currency so did not try to use USD. All prices were in local currency however.

Thanks.  We will only go to Tahiti one time, so don't want to have leftover of local currency.  Did you try their night time food trucks by the cruise ships? If so, did you like it?  Can use credit card?

1 minute ago, chubbypiggy said:

Thanks.  We will only go to Tahiti one time, so don't want to have leftover of local currency.  Did you try their night time food trucks by the cruise ships? If so, did you like it?  Can use credit card?

We were only in Papeete for 1 day before flying home ( we spent a week in Moorea) so did not try the food trucks. My understanding is that they are cash only but again that was almost 2 years ago.

• 1 year later...

That's so funny. We're also planning our trip as once in a lifetime, and it's not until 7/25. I can't stop reading, though, and I'm so excited that I also now wonder if it will really be just a single trip. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cwb348 said:

That's so funny. We're also planning our trip as once in a lifetime, and it's not until 7/25. I can't stop reading, though, and I'm so excited that I also now wonder if it will really be just a single trip. 

I had always dreamed of going to Tahiti and finally went on my "Once in a Lifetime" cruise there in 2012.  Next May I'm going for the fourth time!!  

You never know!!

😉

Have  wonderful time!

~Nancy

• Like 2

Is there a way to go to stream yard and watch your videos on FP? I know I can click on the link you provide but can’t search (Thai i know of) to find other FP videos that you have recorded. I appreciate the information that you provide. It is very helpful and informative. Thank you.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/12/2024 at 12:21 PM, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

Thank you for posting your videos, they are very informative.  Our first trip is in 2 weeks 😁on Celebrity Edge visiting Raiatea, Papeete and Moorea on a TP.  I have already exchanged CDN cash in USD & Euro. Will the local vendors accept Euro or must I have CFP?

I like to shop with small vendors so I respect that they like to deal with cash only. 

I have pre-booked scuba diving in Papeete where they charged my credit card in XPF (CFP) & a reservation and water taxi to Cocobeach, Moorea also charged to my card in XPF.  

Debbie 

23 minutes ago, debfed65 said:

Thank you for posting your videos, they are very informative.  Our first trip is in 2 weeks 😁on Celebrity Edge visiting Raiatea, Papeete and Moorea on a TP.  I have already exchanged CDN cash in USD & Euro. Will the local vendors accept Euro or must I have CFP?

I like to shop with small vendors so I respect that they like to deal with cash only. 

I have pre-booked scuba diving in Papeete where they charged my credit card in XPF (CFP) & a reservation and water taxi to Cocobeach, Moorea also charged to my card in XPF.  

Debbie 

We have been to FP twice, we did Windstar last year.  We did book some independent tours and we had CFP.  We changed at ATM at airport.  We used for tips, taxis, etc.  It was helpful. 

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, debfed65 said:

Debbie 

Euro is fine  ...