Best place to see volcanoes

Mary229

3 hours ago, Mary229 said:

For our ports which port would be best for a volcano day.

As Bruce said, activish is Hilo, although you will most likely not see any sort of active lava.

But you'll see volcanos in various states of decline virtually everywhere you go. You can go to the top of Haleakala in Maui (which I don't recommend if its your only day in Maui) and Diamond Head in Honolulu. You wont be wanting for volcanos. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, princeton123211 said:

As Bruce said, activish is Hilo, although you will most likely not see any sort of active lava.

But you'll see volcanos in various states of decline virtually everywhere you go. You can go to the top of Haleakala in Maui (which I don't recommend if its your only day in Maui) and Diamond Head in Honolulu. You wont be wanting for volcanos. 

I like to schedule a volcano day when in an appropriate region.   We are retired geoscientists.   Thanks for the info. 

• Like 1

Hi Mary, I’m on the big island right now. Came here for a few weeks before hopping to Maui for the remaining winter. As mentioned, Book from Hilo. I took these photos yesterday. Daylight to dark from the Kealea lookout.  Plenty of lava to see…. 

B540C2EC-61C1-442D-8EEA-53B9F17ACE13.jpeg

4A6A9A43-88F1-499A-9375-5361A361702B.jpeg

975974A1-1F93-41B7-9249-A6CB012E00AA.jpeg

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, pcvtmom said:

I highly recommend visiting Volcanoes National Park on the Big Island. We recently did a tour (through Shore Excursion Group) that was phenomenal!

Was it an active excursion?  We are thinking rental car but with the right guide who walks and knows geology we would pay 

Our guide was knowledgeable, but for a more detailed explanation, you could visit on your own and use the park rangers as your source of information. If you go to the national park website, there's more info on what is available.

• Thanks 1

Here’s a link to a volcano tour led by two geologists:  https://hawaiigeotours.com/.

We’re booked with them later this year on our visit.  Even though my undergraduate degree is in geology (I’m a chemist, hubby a retired engineer), we wanted to visit the area with experts.

Edited by disneyochem
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, as others pointed out all the islands of Hawaii have once been volcanoes and many extinct or dorming craters are visible on almost every island. The whole Kailua Bay on Oahu is a submerged caldera of a super volcano.

But the only active one is on Big Island and probably best to see from Hilo, if you can and your cruise alllows it, stay till it's dark and you see the whole lava much clearer then by day...