Veteran pin

Rdr202

On 2/7/2023 at 3:09 PM, MagnoliaBlossom said:

Schmoopie, I am not big on materialistic displays, but I realize that many of our veterans of the Viet Namn era, yourself being one, may have never received a positive “welcome home”.  I applaud any company who is trying to correct the negative way our veterans were and are treated.   

On another line we always go to the veterans gathering and my husband receives his pin.   He has no desire to collect those (unlike service coins) and he watches for an older child and with his parents permission gifts him/her the pin and asks the recipient to one day find someone to explain the honor of serving in the US military.  The always look like they’ve received the Nobel Peace Prize ( well, that’s not accurate because they probably don’t know much about it, so let’s say the MTV best video award) 😉.   Maybe a bit of appreciation for our hero’s will come from one old soldier’s sharing a piece of Chinese produced piece of tin with an impressionable youth.

just my thoughts.

MB

But the American public has been trying to correct than injustice for more than 30 years...sometimes you have to face reality, realise that you tried your best to serve your country and to respect yourself for your accomplishments and realise you know what you did and so does your family...and in some cases stop playing the pity party after 50 years....Go Army!!

Edited by mpdog42
  • Like 3

I just got off the Getaway on Feb 6 and received the military packet with the pin and a velcro patch specific to the ship and there are other patches for each ship.  I received the coin as well, it is very nice.  My wife and I were very impressed with the details and gifts, much appreciated.  I have a wall where we keep a lot of cruise items and will probably put these items there also.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Sand and Seas said:

Do you need to have booked the cruise with the Military discount to get the pins?

(Just signed up DH, but our cruises are comped through CAS.)

I did and I know another veteran on the same sailing did not and he did not get the veteran items.

• Like 1

Hello all, just wondered what magic wand you had if you did get the discount. Going on Joy this year, booked last year, was told my suite does not qualify for the discount. Only specific rooms do. The discount is a good chunk of $ that would be a welcome reduction of the cruise price. Thanks, katmatu

• 1 month later...
On 2/7/2023 at 12:15 PM, MagnoliaBlossom said:

Just a piece of information from my personal experience.  This situation will not apply to everyone, but it’s worth considering.

When the MAP program was announced I signed DH up as a veteran, and I registered as a military spouse.  While DH has a separate account from me, I always handle the details so we book everything under my account.

we decided to do a family cruise and take our grandchildren with us (a first for us). They will be in a room across the hall from us with either DH or I as they will be 15 and 18.   Since I booked the inside under my name and the BA under DHs name, so we got a 10% discount on both cabins.  

here’s the problem we encountered.   Since DH and I were both registered under my number, they only recognized one discount.  I had to go through an arduous process, that took about ten days to complete to remove DHs idme account then log in to DHs account and re-register him.   So we each have separate accounts that allow us to receive discounts on both rooms.

aa I said,it may not be an issue for any of you, but as you register just do it in your individual accounts in the event you may want to sail with family and take advantage of your well deserved honor.

thise are nice looking coins.  DH has quite a few and looks forward to getting a new one.  We are sailing the BA on the 26th so I’ll report back on what we receive.

I was not aware of the Military Discount from NCL. I was just searching this morning and came across the military page. Very happy since I am about to book a b2b on NCL.

I put dh's info in and on his profile now it shows he gets the military discount.  I will try to figure out how to sign up for the spouse military discount any tips on how I go about signing up as a spouse would be great.

34 minutes ago, ready2cruzagain said:

I was not aware of the Military Discount from NCL. I was just searching this morning and came across the military page. Very happy since I am about to book a b2b on NCL.

I put dh's info in and on his profile now it shows he gets the military discount.  I will try to figure out how to sign up for the spouse military discount any tips on how I go about signing up as a spouse would be great.

Use the same website... https://www.ncl.com/military  I had no problem completing my "spouse" information and getting my membership set-up.

I think this is great but it is a great shame that they don't include your brothers and sisters who stood next to you on operations.  I was a Captain in both the British and Canadian infantry and can't help but feel a bit left out by all of this.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ggTexasGal said:

Use the same website... https://www.ncl.com/military  I had no problem completing my "spouse" information and getting my membership set-up.

I tried to this morning and it gave me the following message even though I was using my email and signing up as a spouse. 

Unfortunately we are not able to enroll you at this time because your ID.me account is already associated with another NCL account. You can still enjoy a great value today with Norwegian’s Free at Sea.

I had problems with the idme sign up.  I wrote about it extensively when it first was announced.  I do not know if this will make a difference for you, but you might try it.

Check and see which NCL account you have open.  Is it yours or your husbands?

which account did he register under?

if you are using the same account he did, then log out of that account and log into the other account.

then go to the MAP page and try to use the idme link.

that should fix your problem.   If not log in to your husbands IDme account and use the support function to see if they can help you.

Thanks to the original poster of the topic.  Without that post I would not have known about the discount.  I spent a fair bit of time on the phone this morning trying to get the discount, and I am happy to say I succeeded.  I booked and paid in full with an online warehouse place in January for a cruise coming up in May. Today I started by successfully going through the IDMe process, and the military status showed up instantly on my NCL account.  I was concerned that I would not be eligible for the discount because I paid in full already, but figured I would give it a shot.  I contacted NCL, and the rep was kind and helpful.  She put me on hold and contacted a supervisor.  She said I would need to contact the online group I booked with for a "reprice".  She acknowledged that I had already paid in full, but said they could still do the reprice.  I called them, they called NCL, and told me it was too late because I had paid in full even though final payment was not yet due.  Not happy that they were not able to get the same information from NCL that I did, I again contacted NCL.  The rep was just as kind and helpful.  After a long wait on hold, I was put in contact with someone from the resolution department.  They said I would need to contact the online group again and have them contact the resolution department.  I did, and woo hoo! They gave me about 8% back in the form of a credit card refund.  I questioned the amount because it was odd and the online group said it was NCL that authorized the amount and that they do not know what formula was used.  They were not as helpful as NCL and seemed upset when I questioned the amount.  The difference was nominal and more than I had in my pocket this morning so I'm taking it as a win.  I hope this helps, and have to say that it was time consuming but the reps at NCL were very helpful and stuck with me to get the discount.  

19 hours ago, MagnoliaBlossom said:

I had problems with the idme sign up.  I wrote about it extensively when it first was announced.  I do not know if this will make a difference for you, but you might try it.

Check and see which NCL account you have open.  Is it yours or your husbands?

which account did he register under?

if you are using the same account he did, then log out of that account and log into the other account.

then go to the MAP page and try to use the idme link.

that should fix your problem.   If not log in to your husbands IDme account and use the support function to see if they can help you.

No, I was under my account. Did as you said exactly and still won't work. Opened a ticket for help. Will see if they can let me get it figured out. Thanks

2 hours ago, ready2cruzagain said:

No, I was under my account. Did as you said exactly and still won't work. Opened a ticket for help. Will see if they can let me get it figured out. Thanks

Well, dang, I hoped that would do the trick.  I had a problem in that I had signed up originally with both of us on DHs account.  In order to fix it I had to cancel his account entirely, which takes a one week waiting period, then restart.  Him first under his account, then log out and me on my account.   

I had a real issue with getting in touch with IDme but did eventually get it resolved.  Hope you can too.

On 3/30/2023 at 11:27 PM, argyll1881 said:

I think this is great but it is a great shame that they don't include your brothers and sisters who stood next to you on operations.  I was a Captain in both the British and Canadian infantry and can't help but feel a bit left out by all of this.

Under the old program Canadians were included.  Maybe NCL will add you back.  The website shows several senior staff members who are veterans.  Maybe an email to each of those would be a good place to start with requests for our Canadian brothers to be a part of the program.

I think veterans and active duty should accept the NCL program for what it is - a gesture from a multinational corporation to engender goodwill from current and potentially future customers in a specific demographic and (perhaps) a token of gratitude for the veterans’ service (whether voluntary or not).

The patches and challenge coins seem very nice and can fit into your past cruise or past service- themed decor, as best fits your relationship with same. I also thought @MagnoliaBlossom’s veteran half has a nice idea of “paying it forward” and perhaps influencing a future generation.

I look forward to seeing this firsthand on our next NCL cruise.

just wish they hadn’t discontinued those cute latitude pins after our 2nd cruise … 😪 

seashark, i was just commenting that to me the pin is immaterial. it may have some significance to others, and i'm not knocking ncl for either its thoughts or gestures in this regard.

i think it's terrific that a major corporation is acknowledging veterans for both their service and sacrifices. if they give me a pin,  fine, if not just as good.

i dont wish to come across as bitter, angry or spiteful.  rest assured i am none of the above   i paid my dues, came home and got on with my life. no "thanks for your service" necessary

1 hour ago, complawyer said:

seashark, i was just commenting that to me the pin is immaterial.

Yes...I'm well aware of that. I was just commenting to say that if something was truly immaterial, then it would not be commented on in the first place.

3 hours ago, ColdCruise said:

just wish they hadn’t discontinued those cute latitude pins after our 2nd cruise … 😪 

My PCC sent me a full set of Latitudes pins (bronze through Saphire) last month.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, MagnoliaBlossom said:

Well, dang, I hoped that would do the trick.  I had a problem in that I had signed up originally with both of us on DHs account.  In order to fix it I had to cancel his account entirely, which takes a one week waiting period, then restart.  Him first under his account, then log out and me on my account.   

I had a real issue with getting in touch with IDme but did eventually get it resolved.  Hope you can too.

I opened up a ticket at id.me and after a generic message which I responded to they were able to get it straightened out. Said that they were having a technical glitch and everything is fixed now. Very easy and such a nice person that helped out. Thanks for helping!  

I am so happy with this 10% from NCL. We just booked 2 cruises with them and getting ready to book another.  10% does add up!

• Like 1

On 4/1/2023 at 2:57 PM, MagnoliaBlossom said:

I’ve never been big on pins.  But if you lost your pins, or didn’t get them, fear not - when you make Ambassador, they’ll send you a whole personalized set in a very nice box 😉

Im not sure I’ll make ambassador - we take non-cruise vacations and we’re also branching out to other cruise lines. I’ll probably get to sapphire and linger

however @MagnoliaBlossom congrats on 84 completed cruises 🚢