First time Royal cruiser

2 hours ago, Cushing985 said:

So, planning an European cruise in summer of 2024 and wondering how people dress for dinner onboard.  I found the dress code Royal puts out but wondering if it reflects reality.  Thanks in advance!

No need to dress up. Resort casual is fine. Shorts are fine. 

Ive seen too many similar posts turn into flaming sessions.  And I don't want that for this question.

My answer is to dress in what makes you comfortable. PERSONALLY, business casual is a good target.   The MDR is like a nice restaurant and this is how I would dress if that restaurant was near my home.  You will see suits and ties; jackets and button-down shirts; jeans and polo shirts; shorts and Hawaiian shirts; sleeveless shirts; etc.  Rarely, you'll even see a tux.

If you plan on posing for pictures, wear nice clothes.  Don't judge people who dress differently than you.  You do you!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, MD_Dan said:

Ive seen too many similar posts turn into flaming sessions.  And I don't want that for this question.

My answer is to dress in what makes you comfortable. PERSONALLY, business casual is a good target.   The MDR is like a nice restaurant and this is how I would dress if that restaurant was near my home.  You will see suits and ties; jackets and button-down shirts; jeans and polo shirts; shorts and Hawaiian shirts; sleeveless shirts; etc.  Rarely, you'll even see a tux.

If you plan on posing for pictures, wear nice clothes.  Don't judge people who dress differently than you.  You do you!

Maybe 3%-5% max are in business casual or more. <0.5% are “really dressed up”. Bad advice. 

This was the MDR on Wonder of the Seas on Formal Night

image.jpeg.ce61fd511c8f30a48abb4a1dab238933.jpeg

Edited by BirdTravels

1 hour ago, Cushing985 said:

Thanks all for the answers.  Very helpful.  I don't mind dressing up on land but I don't have to lug around more clothes in a suitcase.  I'll plan on wearing business casual (on "formal" nights) and see what happens.

No need to "see what happens", because nothing will happen.  As gets discussed in every dress code thread, even on formal nights some will wear tuxes, some will wear suits, some will wear dress shirt and pants, some will wear polo and khakis, some will wear polo and shorts, some will wear t-shirt and shorts, and so on.

The only people with an opinion that should matter to you are your significant other and the maître d'.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Husky1987 said:

No need to "see what happens", because nothing will happen.  As gets discussed in every dress code thread, even on formal nights some will wear tuxes, some will wear suits, some will wear dress shirt and pants, some will wear polo and khakis, some will wear polo and shorts, some will wear t-shirt and shorts, and so on.

The only people with an opinion that should matter to you are your significant other and the maître d'.

The maitre d doesn't get a vote!

You'll see very very very very very few tuxes. Very Very few suits. A smattering of sports coats. Mostly Resort Casual (polos shirts/hawaiian shirts), and a very few shorts. 

21 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Maybe 3%-5% max are in business casual or more. <0.5% are “really dressed up”. Bad advice.

BirdTravels,

Perhaps I wasn't clear.  What I was trying to say is that I PERSONALLY would wear business casual to a restaurant or the MDR.  I wasn't trying to give advice.  I was describing me ... PERSONALLY.

I thought my advice was to wear what you feel comfortable wearing - whatever that may be.  And I think this is the right advice for anyone.  I wasn't trying to throw stones - just read my first sentence. 

Just FYI Europeans tend to dress up a bit more than US sailings. 

So those that quoted percentages for US sailings are pretty accurate for US departures but not Europe.But as you stated Europe sailing you will find it’s more smart casual and more suit jackets than Caribbean sailings.

Edited by Spurschick

On 2/4/2023 at 12:08 AM, BirdTravels said:
9 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

The maitre d doesn't get a vote!

You'll see very very very very very few tuxes. Very Very few suits. A smattering of sports coats. Mostly Resort Casual (polos shirts/hawaiian shirts), and a very few shorts. 

US sailings maybe, but the OP is asking about Europe. European guests dress up more formal than US based cruises.