Bringing a small pk of sparkling water on board

tinykygal

4 minutes ago, kazu said:

No - no water allowed to be brought on board.  Plastic is verboten.  rules have changed dramatically - check out Know Before You Go.

You can buy water on board, of course.  

Thank you.  

We drink the tap water onboard every day and frequently.  However, my husband enjoys a bottle/can of sparkling water while cruising.

We do not buy a beverage package.

Just now, tinykygal said:

Thank you.  

We drink the tap water onboard every day and frequently.  However, my husband enjoys a bottle/can of sparkling water while cruising.

We do not buy a beverage package.

You’re welcome.

you can buy both smaller and larger bottles of sparkling on board.

You don’t need a beverage package to do that.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, kazu said:

You’re welcome.

you can buy both smaller and larger bottles of sparkling on board.

You don’t need a beverage package to do that.  

Is it the "plastic" that is forbidden?  We have always bought small cans and never been denied bringing them on as tagged luggage.  

If you continue on with @0106's quote, it says this under Know Before You Go FAQ.

Items such as sodas, energy drinks or other non-alcoholic items are not allowed on board in any form. Plastic water bottles are not allowed. However, an allowance of six liters, twelve (12) cans or cartons (500 ml in volume or less) or six (6) cans or cartons (1 liter in volume or less) of water are allowed per stateroom.  Any amount in excess of this allowance will be not be allowed onboard. Water in plastic bottles will not be allowed onboard in any quantity, including in ports of call. Guests will be asked to discard open beverages in plastic containers prior to boarding. 

• Like 1

This "know before you go" is confusing to me.

We have sailed HAL several times as well as several other cruise lines and RCCL recently.  

We brought 1 bottle of wine per person in our stateroom in our carryon.

There was no problem with that and no corkage fee.

So has HAL seriously discontinued allowing that?

No alcohol, yet if your age qualifies you can bring 1 bottle per person.  

What am I missing?

Thanks.

No non alcoholic beverages at all.  No alcohol other than wine.  You can bring a bottle of wine (or more ) on board.  Each one is subject to a $20 corkage fee.  and yes, HAL had discontinued the ‘free’ bottle of wine.

some posters have reported not being charged and others have.  Just count on the rules and if you get a break, great.

The only thing you are missing is that the Know Before You Go -is the way it is.  here is the pertinent part for you:  It seems pretty clear to me.  that’s the policy as of spring 2021 and has been since.

AC96AE66-75A8-4294-8465-52EE75249315.thumb.png.08632b7a33ae328284827fd6fbbc9f96.png

I am hoping to take about a container of FairLife milk for personal use  (it is the only milk I can digest as it is lower lactose/higher protein).  We have the beverage package, so it isn't a money thing-- but are you saying that because it is in plastic milk container it would be forbidden?

2 minutes ago, DeirdreTours said:

I am hoping to take about a container of FairLife milk for personal use  (it is the only milk I can digest as it is lower lactose/higher protein).  We have the beverage package, so it isn't a money thing-- but are you saying that because it is in plastic milk container it would be forbidden?

I don’t work for HAL - just telling their policy.  I would contact them to see if it would be permitted under special circumstances or if they can provide the milk for you.  You might need a medical certificate to be able to bring it on - unsure.

The policy is on the luggage tags, presumably so people can't miss it (or claim that they didn't know).

This is the new policy (Jan 2023):

All checked and carry-on luggage will be scanned and any prohibited
items, including alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages, will be removed,
confiscated, and discarded. Please refer to your cruise contract for more
information.

This is the old policy (Feb 2020):

Bringing Alcohol Onboard?
Please remember our alcohol policy:
• One 750ml bottle of wine or champagne per adult in carry-on luggage,
which will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom.
• Additional wine or champagne bottles (no larger than 750ml) in carry-on luggage are
welcome, but will incur a $18 corkage fee per bottle, irrespective of where they are
intended to be consumed.
• Other liquors, spirits or beers are prohibited. Luggage is subject to search.

So I guess there's no point in buses taking pax to the "shopping" centers on excursions that sell local spirits (e.g., Caribbean rum)?  

Or are local spirits allowed if pax declare them and HAL can  then store them, giving it back to pax on disembarkation, perhaps for a fee?

Just now, Catlover54 said:

So I guess there's no point in buses taking pax to the "shopping" centers on excursions that sell local spirits (e.g., Caribbean rum)?  

Or are local spirits allowed if pax declare them and HAL can  then store them, giving it back to pax on disembarkation, perhaps for a fee?

You can bring on alcohol bought in port, but security will direct you to what I call the booze table, where someone will take your purchases for safekeeping until disembarkation. I don't think there's any fee for this. 

• Thanks 2

Just off the Oosterdam.  The "regular" water served on board is in plastic bottles.  I think they want to get away from plastic, but right now the supply chain can't support it.  BTW, the water was from South American sources.  Perrier, etc. were in bottles or cans. 

On 2/4/2023 at 8:16 AM, tinykygal said:

However, my husband enjoys a bottle/can of sparkling water while cruising.

Four flavors of Aha sparkling water and Perrier are currently available for sale on the Rotterdam.  Still water is only being sold in cans, inconvenient for taking off the ship.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, 0106 said:

Four flavors of Aha sparkling water and Perrier are currently available for sale on the Rotterdam.  Still water is only being sold in cans, inconvenient for taking off the ship.

Very inconvenient on a tour. With a bottle, you can put the cap on and leave it in a tote bag, or even on a bus between stops. But once a can is open, if you don't hold it, it's likely to spill. I need to find a new water bottle that's easy to fill at the sink in my room (I don't mind tap water) because they don't let you fill it at the Lido. 

• Like 1

On 2/4/2023 at 6:39 AM, tinykygal said:

Is it the "plastic" that is forbidden?  We have always bought small cans and never been denied bringing them on as tagged luggage.  

You can definitely bring on one 12-pack of canned sparkling water.  We brought on a 12 pack of LaCroix sparkling water our last 2 HAL sailings...no questions asked after they saw it wasn't soda.

23 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I need to find a new water bottle that's easy to fill at the sink in my room (I don't mind tap water) because they don't let you fill it at the Lido. 

I use a Contigo auto deal travel mug.  I pour the water into a cup in the Lido and then pour it into a mug .  It also fits under the bathroom sink, just tried it.  I also dump my ice bucket into the mug and very morning and night.

10 minutes ago, AFNavigator said:

You can definitely bring on one 12-pack of canned sparkling water.  We brought on a 12 pack of LaCroix sparkling water our last 2 HAL sailings...no questions asked after they saw it wasn't soda.

Boarded at noon last Saturday in Port Everglades.  Immediately after the security X-ray scanner there was a large table full of water and all kind of soda including La Croix and other cans of sparkling water.  I guess you were lucky.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 0106 said:

I use a Contigo auto deal travel mug.  I pour the water into a cup in the Lido and then pour it into a mug .  It also fits under the bathroom sink, just tried it.  I also dump my ice bucket into the mug and very morning and night.

Boarded at noon last Saturday in Port Everglades.  Immediately after the security X-ray scanner there was a large table full of water and all kind of soda including La Croix and other cans of sparkling water.  I guess you were lucky.

It seems to me that different ports do different things.  I remember on a thread saying you can't bring sparkling water to be told by several posters you can.  I suspect Fort Lauderdale is more strict about this than San Diego which is surprising.

1 hour ago, 0106 said:

Thanks for the recommendation!

I wonder if all that water and soda really gets destroyed or does it end up in the port workers' break room?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 0106 said:

Hmmm, that's interesting...sounds like the Port Everglades personnel that day didn't understand HAL's permitted-water policy. 

As noted in posts #7 and #9 above, HAL's beverage policy specific to water states, "However, an allowance of six liters, twelve (12) cans or cartons (500 ml in volume or less) or six (6) cans or cartons (1 liter in volume or less) of water are permitted per stateroom".

Both times we went through Port Everglades' checkpoints last year, they asked what was in our bag when it went through the x-ray machine.  I stated, and showed them, it was a 12-pack of LaCroix sparkling water.  They said both times that's fine and they let us proceed with water case in hand.

38 minutes ago, AFNavigator said:

Hmmm, that's interesting...sounds like the Port Everglades personnel that day didn't understand HAL's permitted-water policy. 

As noted in posts #7 and #9 above, HAL's beverage policy specific to water states, "However, an allowance of six liters, twelve (12) cans or cartons (500 ml in volume or less) or six (6) cans or cartons (1 liter in volume or less) of water are permitted per stateroom".

Both times we went through Port Everglades' checkpoints last year, they asked what was in our bag when it went through the x-ray machine.  I stated, and showed them, it was a 12-pack of LaCroix sparkling water.  They said both times that's fine and they let us proceed with water case in hand.

In cans or cartons.  Plastic water bottles are not allowed.  Nor are sodas.

Post #7 has the details.

The PE personnel that day apparently understood HAL's permitted water policy and enforced it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

In cans or cartons.  Plastic water bottles are not allowed.  Nor are sodas.

Post #7 has the details.

The PE personnel that day apparently understood HAL's permitted water policy and enforced it.

I don't mean any offense, but I don't understand your comment about the PE personnel understanding HAL's permitted water policy.  The LaCroix 12-pack carton of sparkling water meets their restriction.  It is twelve (12) 12-ounce (355ml) aluminum cans of water.  That falls within their quantity, volume, and container type guidance.  It just happens to be that the LaCroix water is sparkling vs still water.  It isn't sugared, caffeinated, flavored or colored like a traditional soda drink....it is water.

What if it was a carton of 12 Perrier water in aluminum cans?  Perrier is sparkling water...and is sold onboard as water.

Edited by AFNavigator
grammar