Just off THE EDGE OUR REVIEW

The Med

8 hours ago, The Med said:

Yes they changed it, and yes they had a common theme in all four and a few unique items.

I’ve always previously enjoyed it up until this cruise.

I’m not particularly fussy. My husband doesn’t cook so when I go on holiday I’m generally happy just to have food prepared for me.

However this time I was struggling to find something that I fancied. I don’t want to eat food that I can cook at home, I want decent restaurant quality healthy food. 
For example…oxtail. Where we come from, that’s a cheap cut  of meat that you would make soup from. It certainly wouldn’t be served up as a main course in a decent restaurant. 

One night I had 2 starters because there was absolutely nothing else that I fancied. As I’ve said though, even though I had steak at the steak restaurant I’m not really a meat eater. So anyone that likes pork chops or lamb or chicken would have found more to eat than me and therefore have a totally different opinion. 

I know that on all lines we have sailed there have been complaints about the limited vegetarian options, bummer they scaled that back too. Today I read somewhere on here there is a vegetarian menu if you ask, not 100% this is real,  did you get that menu at all? If it is a thing I may look at it on board as vegetarian meals are generally gluten free. 

7 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

While I am sure the food is good, we are so spoiled back home steak wise. We can go out and I can get a great cut of ribeye or T-bone or porterhouse  and the wife gets a good fish fry and each have an old fashioned and we are out the door with a 20 plus percent tip for around 80$. 

I would love Eden, but our Constellation cruise was the first cruise my wife didn’t eat off the classic menu. She is not an adventurous eater so the specialty restaurants would be lost on her. I may try raw on 5 for the sushi rolls, time will tell. Honestly cruises for me are the time I get to eat all the different foods I don’t get around home. 

There is hope last weekend my wife sampled an Indian dish my daughter picked out at Costco and she really liked it. It was a little bland for me but baby steps:)

OH, being from Nebraska ordering a steak ANYWHERE is always a risk--especially on a ship!

I would have said my husband isn't adventurous...he still leans toward basics. But he has begun to expand his horizon on cruises & while traveling. I love how he surprises me!

8 minutes ago, Cruise till you drop said:

Question about this - do you tip the Mautre’d for this and if yes, do you do this immediately after they modify the reservation or at the end of the cruise ?

I would tip them right then and there or some then and more later but that’s me. It’s totally not necessary. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, RichYak said:

I would tip them right then and there or some then and more later but that’s me. It’s totally not necessary. 

@Cruise till you drop

I agree, a tip isn't necessary but since dining has changed so much and traditional is now not the norm on E-Class ships, you're asking for some special care so I'd tip upfront to show my gratitude.

Patty 

Edited by cw2go
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, C4HCG said:

Doubt it, a good constructive review and negative on the dining. Nobody could turn that into a cheerleading frenzy, not even me! Although I am still not happy to be classed as one 😡😡😂. Doubt we will ever try e class ships just based on what we see here.

😎

13 hours ago, The Med said:
13 hours ago, cw2go said:

Thank you, I'll give a report in bullet form (not a full review) once I return. I am super excited to get back to cruising, last for me was May 2019 Europe. 

I am also booked on The Ascent so I'll get to see what Capt. Tasos is all about X2! 😊

Patty 

We have sailed with captain Tasos a few times. Last time, and his, was on Equinox when he did his “last dance” as we departed the port. He is a character and a gentleman for sure.  Always a fun trip to sail with him or his brother.  Lots of good memories and fun times. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, The Med said:

I don’t really like Aretha Franklin.

13 hours ago, horseymike said:

Thanks for you informative review . The higher ups at celebrity read it carefully.

Yep, we have all the information we need. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, cgolf1 said:

I know that on all lines we have sailed there have been complaints about the limited vegetarian options. Today I read somewhere on here there is a vegetarian menu if you ask, not 100% this is real,  did you get that menu at all? 

No, we didn’t see that menu.
It came up in conversation because our son and his girlfriend are both vegan and we said “Gosh, if we took them on a cruise, there’s absolutely nothing on the menu for them, hardly any vegetarian/vegan food at all”. 

It was only this morning that I saw on another thread that you had to actually ask for the menu. It might have been helpful if at the bottom of the menu there was something that said “Vegetarian menu also available, please ask”.

• Like 1

On 2/6/2023 at 6:22 AM, The Med said:

The main restaurants lacked choice and imagination. 
On one night out of 10 choices for starter 8 of them were either for soup or salad (if you included the prawn cocktail). Only 2 items that weren’t soup or salad.. I mainly eat fish and the choices for main course were extremely limited.

Although I was on Beyond, I agree with you here.  We ate in each of the main dining restaurants 4 nights, and several lunches (and in specialties 3 nights).  By the 4th night in main dining, I was bored with the selections (unless I got lucky and liked one of the specialty dishes).  If I had to eat in the mains for 7 nights, I would definitely get bored.  If they are going to do the 4 separate main dining rooms concept, there should be more offerings that are unique to each individual restaurant.

Also agree that the steakhouse was nothing special.  We like the steakhouse offerings on NCL & RCCL much better.

Service was 98% outstanding except for one night when an unexpected "large table" took the waitstaff's attention away from our 2-top.  I'm guessing they have a hard time compensating when they're not expecting a large party.  That shouldn't happen in the specialty restaurants though.

Edited by momofmab
  • Like 2

Interesting to read the various reviews and thoughts. We are on Edge in 7 weeks and as we've been on the Millie and Apex, which we thought both were great, looking forward to the Edge. We booked the Retreat so really enjoy the amenities that are provided including Luminae and Blu, which we have found to be quite good. Also, did try 3 of the four main dining rooms and the Retreat Deck pool for lunch thought they were quite good and the service in all were very good, attentive and friendly.

I will provide a review of our Edge impressions afterwards for those that may be interested. 

We just got off RC Allure and do not like the bigger ships with large crowds, so are concentrating on Celebrity for the rest of the year. We'll see what 2024 bring us and may branch out to Viking or Azamara for a different experience. 

On 2/5/2023 at 6:36 PM, tfred said:

This will be a troll feeding frenzy

Don't' know about that.  But it is of interest to note that people who thoroughly enjoy every aspect of their cruise are less likely to post on a message board.  You always have to take the complaints into perspective and with a huge grain of salt. To be truly representative, there would need to be posts from people on the exact same cruise, eating in the same locations.  We're going on a Millennium cruise next month, I think we'll be happy to be cruising.  

• Like 1