Walker shipped as baggage.

JohnM65

When we travel by air, I can dissemble my walker (Medline) and pack it in our large suitcase. I also use a wheelchair in the terminal; I can walk but a limited distance with my cane. Also, I have a Nitro walker which will collapse but will not fit in a suitcase. It can be secured so it does not open. inadvertently. The Medline weighs 25 lbs., and the Nitro is 18 lbs. I was wondering what experiences other flyers have had if they check one in baggage (Nitro). I realize it is almost a crap shoot. But checking the walker in baggage would make some things a little easier. I understand that the baggage handlers will make the difference. 

Just curious. 

We always fly first class (our financial manager says "if we don't our kids will).

Thanks

John 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JohnM65 said:

When we travel by air, I can dissemble my walker (Medline) and pack it in our large suitcase. I also use a wheelchair in the terminal; I can walk but a limited distance with my cane. Also, I have a Nitro walker which will collapse but will not fit in a suitcase. It can be secured so it does not open. inadvertently. The Medline weighs 25 lbs., and the Nitro is 18 lbs. I was wondering what experiences other flyers have had if they check one in baggage (Nitro). I realize it is almost a crap shoot. But checking the walker in baggage would make some things a little easier. I understand that the baggage handlers will make the difference. 

Just curious. 

We always fly first class (our financial manager says "if we don't our kids will).

Thanks

John 

If you are checking a walker, it doesn't matter what class you fly. Your luggage is in the hands of someone who just doesn't care. I advise clients to gate check 2 walkers of the same brand - if something goes wrong, they can fix it on board.

First class *might* help, but I've heard too many horror stories of mobility equipment being damaged, destroyed or outright lost if its "loose" and checked in. That said, my wife was mobility impaired for a while and when we flew during that time we checked it in at the gate (as in, left at top of jetbridge and the ground people put it in the hold as buttoning up) and we never had a problem, although we only flew a couple times so YMMV.

I also love your line on traveling first class - absolutely! You only live once and you can't take it with you. Fly first class and cruise Regent!

• Thanks 1

On 2/6/2023 at 3:04 PM, Pcardad said:

... Your luggage is in the hands of someone who just doesn't care...    I don't think all the baggage handlers are noncaring. Some just have super bad days.

On 2/6/2023 at 3:05 PM, Pcardad said:

You can actually walk the walker to the door of the airplane and give it to them there.

Thanks for all the comments. the idea of walking to the gate and checking there is a good idea. the issue I may is my ability to walk to the gate is somewhat limited as my legs don't hold up for a long distance and I must stop then start walking. However, you have given me an idea! My wife can use the walker and put her roller bag on the seat, and I can use the wheelchair. Normally my carry-on will fit under the seat. Well, it is something to ponder. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Well, I found out how my walker would be handled as baggage! 

We flew from Sioux Falls, SD to LAX (probably the supreme test) our connection was through Denver then to LAX. We were to arrive at LAX at 9:30 AM. Well, the pilot came on with the first announcement. There was a problem with the fuel gauge in the right wing and he was unable to read the total fuel level. He called Chicago, but They didn't respond. He then called the maintenance person at Sioux Falls, and he was busy. 2 hours later he finally came and checked and determined that the wing tank(s) were full and also fixed the fuel gauge (with a large hammer) Now we had to go to the de-icing, which the pilot said only took 10 minutes. Well, that's not true. But anyway, we left three hours late for Denver. We arrived in Denver. We'd already missed the original flight and I had scheduled us on a new flight to LAX. The aircraft was the same aircraft we had just landed on, and it was going to LA. How could you lose bags that way? Anyway, we arrived in LA. I guess what? My Walker came off unscathed. Our bag was not on the plane, and it was delivered the following morning. So much for changing clothes.

When we left LAX, we flew back through Denver to Sioux Falls, SD. And amazingly our bag and Walker came off unscathed. So that was the first Test. The next one will probably be in September for our Trip to Alaska and then Japan.

Our carrier was United Airlines. They removed all the bags in Denver, scanned them, and reloaded them onto our aircraft. After takeoff from Denver, I noticed on the United App, one of our bags was not with us… O well!

We also travel with a walker.  Our strategy, wanting to make the flight, and wanting the walker to be in workable condition at destination:

I book a wheelchair for DH (walker user) from checkin to gate.  And from Gate to luggage pickup and any transfers between flights. Even if he can walk to the gate, it is SLOWLY.  If there is a snafu he can't run between gates!  I have jogged behind the airport wheelchair person who got us from one terminal to the next after a late arrival!  Without the wheelchair transport, there is no way we would have made that connection.  And several others.

We do NOT turn in the walker at baggage checkin.  That is asking to have it tossed into the mddle of a pile of heavy suitcases.  OUCH!

DH uses the airport wheelchair.  I use his walker to roll some carryon luggage to the gate.  At gate we ASK politely whether the walker can be stored in the on-board closet (he uses a Drive Nitro which folds up like an umbrella stroller).  80% of the time the walker goes (safely) into the closet.  If not, it gets gate checked (presumably on the top of that pile of suitcases - so less likely damaged).  We bring a carry case to hold the walker if it needs to be gate checked.  It's a big bag that holds the walker.  Provides minimal protection from major trauma, but it does keep the walker wheels from getting entangled in baggage and bent into a "no rolling" twist. 

For those that do not use walkers this may look crazy.  Think about how you get your walker dependent spouse out of the airport and into town if the walker wheels are damaged and walker is useless?  At least if a stroller is damaged (the other frequent gate check item), the occupant probably weighs under 50 lbs!  

Note.  Walkers/wheelchairs.  Med devices/meds do not count towards your luggage limit. We don't check the $1000+ med supplies either.  Several years ago, booking a  multi-month adventure, I discovered a "cooler" that met carry-on bag dimension requirements, and could hold the med supplies.

How do you handle cruise tour days with a walker?  We are cruise newbies (we took one Alaska cruise pre-walker days).  We wonder whether the slower walker is a problem if we sign up for port tours. 

17 hours ago, Wendy236 said:

We also travel with a walker…….

……How do you handle cruise tour days with a walker?  We are cruise newbies (we took one Alaska cruise pre-walker days).  We wonder whether the slower walker is a problem if we sign up for port tours. 

I have used a pair of walking canes for years. But now I am also very slow and can’t walk for long distances. We still do most tours that are not classed as walking and/or with a lot of steps. The descriptions are good about telling the amount of walking and number of steps or that maybe be a problem for people with mobility issues.. 
My husband still can do walking and steps, so if we pick a tour that turns out to have stops with more walking/steps/standing than I can do I just wait in the bus. I take a book to read while my husband does that part of the tour. I usually am not the only one to stay on the bus.
If you use the walker all the time be sure that the tour is open to wheelchair/walkers. It will say in the disclaimer section. If the tour is using a small bus or van there will be no room for the walker. Look for tours that have the the seated man or one walking man picture. Those are the easier tours.

• Like 1

On 2/6/2023 at 1:04 PM, slidebite said:

First class *might* help, but I've heard too many horror stories of mobility equipment being damaged, destroyed or outright lost if its "loose" and checked in. That said, my wife was mobility impaired for a while and when we flew during that time we checked it in at the gate (as in, left at top of jetbridge and the ground people put it in the hold as buttoning up) and we never had a problem, although we only flew a couple times so YMMV.

I also love your line on traveling first class - absolutely! You only live once and you can't take it with you. Fly first class and cruise Regent!

You are so right, if you don’t fly first class—-well your kids will😇

• Like 2

Our rollator bag is one made for the Nova rollator.  The rollator DH uses is a standard Drive Nitro.  Not the "tall" model and not the "heavy" model.  I put the Nitro handles in the lowest setting, close up the rollator, and it fits in the bag quite nicely.  The bag is not bullet proof, but it is a pretty heavy guage nylon.  It has carry handles and a detachable shoulder strap. 

Let me know if you would like more specific information.  We may still have the order in our Amazon account.