Current Breakdown of Gratuities as of January 2023 (with increase)

9 minutes ago, resetjet said:

Nobody knows exactly.  It depends on the number of positions,  the number and type of venues.  For example,  an oasis class ship

has a tremendous number of tipped positions a radiance doesnt have.  Most foward facing crew members get tipped.  Even the laundry guys get tips.  I was down there this week and that position is hell on wheels.  This station has 3 guys feeding sheets into the press one at a time all day long.  Its hot,  its back breaking and monotonous as a job can be.

51F30C02-5FE3-4C2A-A6A8-2A547E9529EF.jpeg

Boo Hoo for the laundry guy; but you didn’t come close to answering the question. 

What tipped positions does an Oasis class ship have that do not exist on a Radiance class ship?

1 minute ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Boo Hoo for the laundry guy; but you didn’t come close to answering the question. 

What tipped positions does an Oasis class ship have that do not exist on a Radiance class ship?

Well i would have to be able to see the crew roster from both ships.  I saw the one from the wonder this week and it is immense.  

how many towel boys does a radiance have?  Probably less with alot less pools.  Do they have an ice cream station with 2 guys serving ice cream or is it self serve?  How many restauraunts do they have on each ship. How automated is the laundry facilility.  How many water and fun slides and rides do they have.  Not sure all of these are tipped but most are.   You see it all matters.  The captain of these ships probably doesnt know either.  He could ascertain it with some research of course.  But thats the reason for the differences in the breakdown on each ship because the $16 is the same.

21 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

You seem to have some inside information on who is tipped and who is not. Where do you get this information from?

Conversations with the crew mainly,    doing the math,  searching the internet,  years of cruising.  It all changed in 2010,  but they kept the “steward”,  “dining” and added “hotel”. Categories,  gave them all

decent salaries and divided the tips amongst most foward facing or direct serving crew members. Everything i have heard or read or deduced points to this. 

Now the stewards are all not happy.  23 rooms on average and they are now hiring other crewmembers on thier day off again as they did before 2010 in order to get their work done on departure day.  So in all they dont make any more money and are having a hard time keeping up.  Some are looking to leave the industry when their contract is up.  One of the main reasons they cant find help is they are required to vaccinate and alot of these people wont do it.  This change may have the reverse effect that royal intended.  They are just being too greedy. Of course less crew means a savings for them as well,  they dont need to feed,  house and pay for travel for alot

of people which winds up being many millions on the balance sheet.  Its a sad state of affairs.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, resetjet said:

Well i would have to be able to see the crew roster from both ships.  I saw the one from the wonder this week and it is immense.  

how many towel boys does a radiance have?  Probably less with alot less pools.  Do they have an ice cream station with 2 guys serving ice cream or is it self serve?  How many restauraunts do they have on each ship. How automated is the laundry facilility.  How many water and fun slides and rides do they have.  Not sure all of these are tipped but most are.   You see it all matters.  The captain of these ships probably doesnt know either.  He could ascertain it with some research of course.  But thats the reason for the differences in the breakdown on each ship because the $16 is the same.

You SAW the crew roster?? 

There is absolutely zero reason the breakdown should be different between classes of ships. Larger ship, larger crew, larger pool of passengers to draw gratuity from. 

Nothing here makes sense

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, resetjet said:

Conversations with the crew mainly,    doing the math,  searching the internet,  years of cruising.  It all changed in 2010,  but they kept the “steward”,  “dining” and added “hotel”. Categories,  gave them all

decent salaries and divided the tips amongst most foward facing or direct serving crew members. Everything i have heard or read or deduced points to this. 

Now the stewards are all not happy.  23 rooms on average and they are now hiring other crewmembers on thier day off again as they did before 2010 in order to get their work done on departure day.  So in all they dont make any more money and are having a hard time keeping up.  Some are looking to leave the industry when their contract is up.  One of the main reasons they cant find help is they are required to vaccinate and alot of these people wont do it.  This change may have the reverse effect that royal intended.  They are just being too greedy. Of course less crew means a savings for them as well,  they dont need to feed,  house and pay for travel for alot

of people which winds up being many millions on the balance sheet.  Its a sad state of affairs.

Supposition, opinions, and made up “facts”

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

You SAW the crew roster?? 

There is absolutely zero reason the breakdown should be different between classes of ships. Larger ship, larger crew, larger pool of passengers to draw gratuity from. 

Nothing here makes sense

Yes its posted on I-95(the main employee corridor) on every ship.  It is mandatory and includes their assignments in case of an emergency.  

There is absolutely zero reason??????  Maybe you would like to enlighten us on why the breakdowns on all ships are different.  So if oasis has 4 times the employees in the hotel division, they should get the same pay as a radiance per passenger?.  You are the one who does not make sense.  As you can see they are minor adjustments, but if you ask at every guest services you get on, you will get a different breakdown.  

29 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Supposition, opinions, and made up “facts”

No facts or added content from you at all.   Apparently you know nothing about any of it.   How about posting something constructive about what you know?

6 hours ago, resetjet said:

No facts or added content from you at all.   Apparently you know nothing about any of it.   How about posting something constructive about what you know?

I have said it in the past, and I will repeat it again. 
I don’t know anything for sure, and neither do you. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, resetjet said:

None of us are making specific claims. You are. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

The only difference I am aware of is that on an Oasis class, suite guest dining gratuities go to Coastal Kitchen versus the MDR.  Otherwise, it's the same.  So there really should be none.  The amount of gratuities is the same regardless of the class of ship. 

24 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

The only difference I am aware of is that on an Oasis class, suite guest dining gratuities go to Coastal Kitchen versus the MDR.  Otherwise, it's the same.  So there really should be none.  The amount of gratuities is the same regardless of the class of ship. 

Why should there be none?  The question is,  how could they all be the same?  An oasis has so many more venues and therefore more tipped positions.   859 crew vs 2300 even though some departments on oasis have a greater economy of scale and better automation.  

1 hour ago, DaKahuna said:

Actually speaking with the Maitre D this past week on Oasis he informed me the reason they check you in by room number in CK and place a paper slip in slot for what day of the week you ate at CK. 
These slips are turned in and TIPS for week are credited to CK for those suite guest and days they ate in CK. 

It is not automatic that all suites have their gratuities directed to CK for whole cruise. 

3 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

I have said it in the past, and I will repeat it again. 
I don’t know anything for sure, and neither do you. 

WHO CARES?   Tip / don't tip...  I don't care.  Doesn't impact me at all.  I have never adjusted the service charge because I consider it a cost of cruising.  I don't care who gets it.  That's between the line and their employee.  I generally don't tip extra either unless someone has gone out of their way to make something special.

Ok you awoke a sleeping giant on that post…..

MOST important, these are HARD working folks, 7 days a week and deserve the maximum tips you can afford based on WOW service…

Yes assessment of the RC provided breakdown…….

PLEASE take a minute and follow my logic for 

Oasis Class Ship, 7 night sail, At Capacity, at 90% tip level at $16.00..

Rounded Math…

$685,000 collected…

$254 for EVERY crew member, including the Captain.

$456 for Every Hotel Staff Member, excluding the ship engineering and operations staff.

DOES YOUR CABIN STEWARD get $456 for more in tips each week..exclusive of salary….

THINK about it……

Opine…

The crew does NOT see anything close to those amounts, and I believe RC is using that hotel service category… for tips …to pay for employee benefits and travel too and home to the ship. ….it’s not salary to the crew…

OR

Let your mind wonder in theories….HA….

I await your answer RC controller….

Stay Safe..Keep Cruising..

4 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

Exactly my point, thank you.

3 hours ago, resetjet said:

Why should there be none?  The question is,  how could they all be the same?  An oasis has so many more venues and therefore more tipped positions.   859 crew vs 2300 even though some departments on oasis have a greater economy of scale and better automation.  

Why should there be none??? 

Because, if Royal is to be believed, the same amount of auto gratuity  should go to your steward regardless of the ship; same for your MDR staff. 

It is inconsistencies like this that are causing people to opt out of the sham in growing numbers. 

1 hour ago, Slidell_Cruiser said:

Ok you awoke a sleeping giant on that post…..

MOST important, these are HARD working folks, 7 days a week and deserve the maximum tips you can afford based on WOW service…

Yes assessment of the RC provided breakdown…….

PLEASE take a minute and follow my logic for 

Oasis Class Ship, 7 night sail, At Capacity, at 90% tip level at $16.00..

Rounded Math…

$685,000 collected…

$254 for EVERY crew member, including the Captain.

$456 for Every Hotel Staff Member, excluding the ship engineering and operations staff.

DOES YOUR CABIN STEWARD get $456 for more in tips each week..exclusive of salary….

THINK about it……

Opine…

The crew does NOT see anything close to those amounts, and I believe RC is using that hotel service category… for tips …to pay for employee benefits and travel too and home to the ship. ….it’s not salary to the crew…

OR

Let your mind wonder in theories….HA….

I await your answer RC controller….

Stay Safe..Keep Cruising..

THANK YOU!!! 

I have been saying this for quite some time; something is rotten here, and people refuse to acknowledge it. 

There is a user or two on here that have some incredibly creative math that will try to convince you that everything is up to snuff, don’t dare question the policy

Edited by not-enough-cruising
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Because, if Royal is to be believed, the same amount of auto gratuity  should go to your steward regardless of the ship; same for your MDR staff. 

It is inconsistencies like this that are causing people to opt out of the sham in growing numbers. 

If you are foolish enough to believe that the steward tip goes to just the steward, or dining just to the waiter, I can't help you.  They sure do wish it did.  Do yourself a favor.  On your next cruise, go guest services and ask them who exactly gets your "steward" tip.  They will tell you its a number of positions.   

23 rooms at $4 pp per day with 2 in a room, that is $23x $8 per day.  $184 x 7 = $1288 a week plus their $1100 a month salary  (shiplife.org) plus any extra cash tips......What a great job with free room, board, travel, flights, tax free in alot of cases.  Geez I wonder why they have to get folks from poor countries to work?????  

I do not recommend opting out of this anymore, as I now know where it goes.  I no longer consider it gratuity, its a resort fee.  I am not going to screw the laundry guy or the guy serving ice cream, because they don't deserve it.  Also I am assured by the crew that they get to keep 100% of the extra tips we leave.  

Edited by resetjet

1 hour ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Why wouldn't they be consistent across ships?  A cabin in a ship from 2000 is not really different from a cabin in the Wonder...The rooms are generally the same size, take the same amount of time to vacuum, same size bathroom, same amount of towels, same number of beds.... so why should stewards get different amounts for being on a different ship?  Same goes with the wait staff.

Since we are speculating, I wonder what staff are supposed to do if you tip them in cash? For example if you tip your head MDR waiter in cash, is he supposed to give 11.3% of it to the assistant waiter and 6.6% of it split between the cooks?  Or turn it all in to the Boss who decides whether or not to spread it around? What about the stateroom attendant, if I give him $100 in cash does he jet straight down to the laundry dungeons to spread the wealth?

• Thanks 1

I wish there were no such thing as auto gratuities, like P&O. The staff are paid a salary and the costs are included within the fare. If you want to tip extra in cash to a member of staff who has been particularly good then you can. In the UK we don’t have such a tipping culture and it must create problems when Royal Caribbean ships home port here. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, resetjet said:

If you are foolish enough to believe that the steward tip goes to just the steward, or dining just to the waiter, I can't help you.  They sure do wish it did.  Do yourself a favor.  On your next cruise, go guest services and ask them who exactly gets your "steward" tip.  They will tell you its a number of positions.   

23 rooms at $4 pp per day with 2 in a room, that is $23x $8 per day.  $184 x 7 = $1288 a week plus their $1100 a month salary  (shiplife.org) plus any extra cash tips......What a great job with free room, board, travel, flights, tax free in alot of cases.  Geez I wonder why they have to get folks from poor countries to work?????  

I do not recommend opting out of this anymore, as I now know where it goes.  I no longer consider it gratuity, its a resort fee.  I am not going to screw the laundry guy or the guy serving ice cream, because they don't deserve it.  Also I am assured by the crew that they get to keep 100% of the extra tips we leave.  

This is exactly why it’s a scam, and why I refuse to participate. 

Edited by not-enough-cruising
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Buckeyefrank100 said:

Why wouldn't they be consistent across ships?  A cabin in a ship from 2000 is not really different from a cabin in the Wonder...The rooms are generally the same size, take the same amount of time to vacuum, same size bathroom, same amount of towels, same number of beds.... so why should stewards get different amounts for being on a different ship?  Same goes with the wait staff.

Thank you! 
None of it makes any sense.