Experiences when trying to use loyalty points / complimentary nights

difranco

Having earned complimentary nights with Azamara I am finding it difficult to use them on future bookings due restrictions.

Azamara website and reservation team members have conflicting views.

Please could anyone post any recent experience with utilising this reward and what you were allowed to use them against.

For example, nights on discounted cruises / pre or post cruise hotels / onboard expenses (drink and dining packages) etc.

Hopefully not a reward that is in name only.

I have only used mine on cruise-only. I used 6 free nights on a 7 night cruise. You cannot calculate it by the advertised online price as they use the full fare rather than any discounted fare and no offer benefits (OBC etc)

It can be possible that using free nights on a trip can end up costing more than booking without them depending on the offers.

• Like 4

You will have to do a little work yourself to find the best value for your free nights, but it is doable.

We had 6 free nights last year and I booked whilst onboard so was eligible for my 7% discount with Discoverer Plus and  $300 obc. I was armed with the cruises we were interested in and the prices.   You have to book a cruise within one year of getting the free nights but dont have to travel within that year. The discount is on fare only, not taxes and port fees. They cannot be used on Cruisetours. There are more details on Azamara web site.

Whilst prices paid are a bit of a taboo subject ,it might be helpful to know that we booked  a 7 night Greece intensive in a V1 balcony for £385 per person . We paid for flights separately as we always do.. The price never got  anywhere near that low from when we  booked in January till when we sailed in October.  We could well have been the exception to the rule but it worked for us! 

• Like 1

Never managed to get the free nights to get better price. Last time we used four «free nights» on a 8 days cruise and ended up with same price as everybody else on the same cruise, except that we didn’t get the OBC that everybody else got. Waste of time and energy. Azamara could find better ways of giving loyalty benefits.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, oddjob16 said:

Never managed to get the free nights to get better price. Last time we used four «free nights» on a 8 days cruise and ended up with same price as everybody else on the same cruise, except that we didn’t get the OBC that everybody else got. Waste of time and energy. Azamara could find better ways of giving loyalty benefits.

Was about to post - that is exactly my experience, it is only when you get to the stratosphere of 10 nights that the free nights are really value.   The lower increments can cost you if you are not careful.  I am hoping this is an area that the updated post RCI Azamara circle scheme might address

• Like 6

We never used our 2 free nights-booked a cruise with it but when there was a special offer that was much lower I gave up the “free nights” and rebooked at the lower fare. I am using my 4 nights on a 7 night Croatia  Intensive in the fall. I also booked on board so we received that discount as well as $150 per person OBC. I added the previous cruise too, so we also have the B2B discount. I keep monitoring the cost and so far the free nights are working out. On a previous thread on the free night topic, someone said it is best to use them on a 7 day cruise or a Norway Intensive which doesn’t get discounted often.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wjfan417 said:

We never used our 2 free nights-booked a cruise with it but when there was a special offer that was much lower I gave up the “free nights” and rebooked at the lower fare. I am using my 4 nights on a 7 night Croatia  Intensive in the fall. I also booked on board so we received that discount as well as $150 per person OBC. I added the previous cruise too, so we also have the B2B discount. I keep monitoring the cost and so far the free nights are working out. On a previous thread on the free night topic, someone said it is best to use them on a 7 day cruise or a Norway Intensive which doesn’t get discounted often.

We have used the “free” nights successfully in order to save money, but it does require considerable research and also knowledge of itineraries that are least likely to be discounted.

• Like 2

We used our six nights on a seven night cruise; an owners suite for less than the cost of an inside, so yes it does work.  As others have said you need to do your homework. Another good reason to work with a travel agent.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, laurieb said:

We used our six nights on a seven night cruise; an owners suite for less than the cost of an inside, so yes it does work.  As others have said you need to do your homework. Another good reason to work with a travel agent.

out if interest, were your previous bookings also same grade? I know the wording is that it is for your usual cabin grade. My past bookings had been 90% V1 and 10% CC suite. verandas were full so I have ended up with an outside (1st time) as was told could not go higher than my norm.

8 minutes ago, laurieb said:

Maybe in the US. UK agents aren’t so interested in finding you anything especially where free nights are involved you have to do all the leg work yourself and some don’t even want a booking where free nights are involved 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, uktog said:

Maybe in the US. UK agents aren’t so interested in finding you anything especially where free nights are involved you have to do all the leg work yourself and some don’t even want a booking where free nights are involved 

That doesn't tally with my experience. Via our UK TA we were able to enjoy the benefits of free nights* and a very competitive price. For that particular cruise the current price of our category (N1) was, very recently, more than double what we paid!

* four, if I remember correctly, but the booking was made several years ago.

Edited by blag
elaboration

On 2/9/2023 at 7:18 AM, Scots Caz said:

out if interest, were your previous bookings also same grade? I know the wording is that it is for your usual cabin grade. My past bookings had been 90% V1 and 10% CC suite. verandas were full so I have ended up with an outside (1st time) as was told could not go higher than my norm.

We normally book CC’s, but have had some V1 balconies, an ocean view, and club ocean in the past.  We were told we could book any type of cabin that we wanted.

Edited by laurieb
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, laurieb said:

We normally book CC’s, but have had some V1 balconies, an ocean view, and club ocean in the past.  We were told we could book any type of cabin that we wanted.

I understand they have a cash figure they will reduce your cruise cost by that equates to a calculation they do based on the category of suite or cabin you used on each of the cruises that you took previously. So the % reduction works out higher on lower category rooms. It’s all done by revenue management. 

If you were allowed 3 or 6 nights in any category and the same % reduction say c25% on a 12 night cruise when you had 3 free nights (I’ll ignore the tax complications) that’s certainly not what happened to us when we were trying to use 6, 10 or 3 nights having previously stayed in V, CC, CO and CX and not the experience of others

The calculations we were given (but it’s not transparent how it’s arrived at) were reductions of approx 25%, 15%, 8% and 3% using 3 nights on a 12 night cruise - and each resulted in a higher price than booking without using the three free nights. We were onboard it took 3 days to get them. 

I still say it’s a scheme that needs revision and certainly more transparency. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, laurieb said:

Just to say that this is not standard. At least from my experience and understanding. You did very well to have that offered to you. I've made use of complimentary nights three times and it was always worked on an average of cabins booked across my bookings. No generosity shown of cabin category, but i understand the way it's worked out.

Bottom line for me is they are not complimentary because you revert to full price for the whole cruiser rather than being able to take advantage of any offers at the time and still have to pay taxes and port fees. Just how much can be saved really depends upon how many nights you have and what length of cruise you book because you are paying full price for the balance of your cruise. Makes a big difference. 10 nights is good, 6 is ok, but less than six and my experience is it can be hard to make work. 

Phil 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

10 nights is good, 6 is ok, but less than six and my experience is it can be hard to make work. 

After my next cruise, I will be moving to Discover, giving me 4 “complimentary” nights. From what I am hearing, I am unlikely to be able to use them on anything other than possibly a very short cruise. Is that about right?

12 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

After my next cruise, I will be moving to Discover, giving me 4 “complimentary” nights. From what I am hearing, I am unlikely to be able to use them on anything other than possibly a very short cruise. Is that about right?

It all depends on prevailing prices and offers but always get quote with and without using the nights. If it’s a cruise that doesn’t get offers on it you might be ok otherwise it’s unlikely you will get any benefits from using them (you can always use them it’s just will it cost you more if you do) 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

Right now, I believe there is a 4 night cruise on the calendar.

• Thanks 1

In rereading earlier posts, am I entitled to the 7 % on board booking discount when using my six free nights on a 7 night cruise.  This was not mentioned, but I was told I would get the OBC for b2b and booking on board.

it really is confusing, plus having to wait for loyalty to respond doesn’t help.

36 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

Betsey, you'll just have to see. I struggled with 4. Saved a little,but it wasn't free. 

I've always found booking them is easier done on the ship as a future booking, but you can book it at home too by speaking to Azamara. 

Phil 

15 minutes ago, roberts2005 said:

In rereading earlier posts, am I entitled to the 7 % on board booking discount when using my six free nights on a 7 night cruise.  This was not mentioned, but I was told I would get the OBC for b2b and booking on board.

it really is confusing, plus having to wait for loyalty to respond doesn’t help.

Yes you are. That's why it's good to get it all sorted out on the ship if you are able to. 

Phil 

• Like 1