Muster Drill

Tidalmist

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, AMHuntFerry said:

(a longer version than the one to watch from home via emailed link)

You mean the one they send you 4 or 5 times in the two weeks leading up to your cruise? LOL

Edited by ORV
  • Haha 2

So.... interesting point of history....  Did you know that a large number of people that were lost off of the Lusitania were lost because they didn't know how to put on a life jacket and either didn't put it on or wore it incorrectly so they floated...  umm...the wrong way. 

True story..

Carry on.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, exeter_acres said:

So.... interesting point of history....  Did you know that a large number of people that were lost off of the Lusitania were lost because they didn't know how to put on a life jacket and either didn't put it on or wore it incorrectly so they floated...  umm...the wrong way. 

True story..

Carry on.

Undoubtedly true. They should probably make people demonstrate in person they know how to put one on.

OTH, how many people, boarding an airplane in 2024 do you believe don’t know how to fasten or unfasten a seatbelt? 

2 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Undoubtedly true. They should probably make people demonstrate in person they know how to put one on.

OTH, how many people, boarding an airplane in 2024 do you believe don’t know how to fasten or unfasten a seatbelt? 

It's interesting that you mentioned airplanes.  How many passengers on Captain Sully's plane in the Hudson River practiced putting on their life vests?

Posted (edited)

I for one am glad they have the live muster drills again. It’s good to have the muscle memory and evac route down. I consider the process the most serious learning curve should I ever need it. Even after 10 years of cruising- things change- circumstances change- I change.

Edited by Thought2go
Add word

18 minutes ago, Thought2go said:

I for one am glad they have the live muster drills again. It’s good to have the muscle memory and evac route down. I consider the process the most serious learning curve should I ever need it. Even after 10 years of cruising- things change- circumstances change- I change.

Uh, they don't, not on Oceania. 

• Like 3

On 8/7/2024 at 2:48 PM, AMHuntFerry said:

Post #12 describes the current process in detail.

In short, go to the muster station as soon as you board so you know the location (or later but before the deadline) and have your card swiped (life jacket demo on request). Watch the video on your cabin's TV (a longer version than the one to watch from home via emailed link). Listen to the instructions that are broadcast over the ship's speakers.

22 minutes ago, Thought2go said:

As was posted just a couple of days ago above. This is exactly the procedure we've had on the 2 cruises we've been on this year. I'm on another in a couple of weeks. I'll update the procedure here then. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Thought2go said:

I formerly trained groups of people on several processes which involved developing muscle memory for particular tasks.  Trust me, watching a live demonstration for 15 minutes or doing something once on a hectic day with many distractions does nothing at all toward developing a muscle memory.  Muscle memory can only be attained by practice, repetition and constant repetition of that practice.  One 15- or 30-minute classroom session doesn't do that and during a real emergency, most people can't recall what they were told three or four days earlier.  During an emergency, people look for direction from a person who appears to be in authority, not what they were told in a short presentation.  The drill does nothing but produce a vague familiarization with a process which is better than nothing at all.  The most important information to come out of the drill, either on video or in person is for passengers to seek and follow instructions from crew members.  They are the ones with the muscle memory.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, Daniel A said:

I formerly trained groups of people on several processes which involved developing muscle memory for particular tasks.  Trust me, watching a live demonstration for 15 minutes or doing something once on a hectic day with many distractions does nothing at all toward developing a muscle memory.  Muscle memory can only be attained by practice, repetition and constant repetition of that practice.  One 15- or 30-minute classroom session doesn't do that and during a real emergency, most people can't recall what they were told three or four days earlier.  During an emergency, people look for direction from a person who appears to be in authority, not what they were told in a short presentation.  The drill does nothing but produce a vague familiarization with a process which is better than nothing at all.  The most important information to come out of the drill, either on video or in person is for passengers to seek and follow instructions from crew members.  They are the ones with the muscle memory.

You are quite right of course, but I couldn’t think of other more appropriate words at the time I wrote it to get my point across. My bad!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Thought2go said:

You are quite right of course, but I couldn’t think of other more appropriate words at the time I wrote it to get my point across. My bad!!

Pas de tout!  It happens to me all the time (and with more frequency as each year passes 🙄)  I think the most important takeaway is for people to listen to and calmly follow the directions of the crew members.  

• Like 2

On 8/8/2024 at 1:48 AM, pinotlover said:

Which must be watched again on each B2B segment! 🤪

Did not make us do it on Marina back to back we are currently on!

21 minutes ago, edgee said:

Did not make us do it on Marina back to back we are currently on!

Thanks. Interesting to know. We did have to rewatch it in 22 on our last b2b. Procedures change.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Cruising Maryland said:

All in the same cabin. fingers crossed

Not a big deal - you don't go anywhere for an actual drill, just turn on the video in your room and let it run.....if you change cabins, you may need to go check in at your new muster drill location so you know where it is...

Edited by basor
  • Like 2

The new relaxed rules for muster drills are fine with many if not most guests, with many passengers cheating and saying they watched the video. Not just Oceania, but Seabourn too and I'm guessing most others.. until one day there's terrible tragedy at sea and many people die. A Board of Inquiry very likely will find one of the causes of so many deaths was the cruise lines cutting out the old muster drills and people helpless to know what to do and where to go to get off the ship. God forbid.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, brittany12 said:

The new relaxed rules for muster drills are fine with many if not most guests, with many passengers cheating and saying they watched the video. Not just Oceania, but Seabourn too and I'm guessing most others.. until one day there's terrible tragedy at sea and many people die. A Board of Inquiry very likely will find one of the causes of so many deaths was the cruise lines cutting out the old muster drills and people helpless to know what to do and where to go to get off the ship. God forbid.

At least on Oceania, you must actually go to your muster drill station and check in so you do know where to go....generally do this as soon as you board..

• Like 2

The old muster drills were not a big issue. At 5:00 (typically) the alarms sounded and people took their life preservers to their assigned muster stations and demonstrated they could put it on. Then, occasionally, we’d go out to our life boats for additional instruction. Those with mobility issues would normally show up early so to use the elevators. Excepting for the jerks, not wanting to show up and security having to round them up, the entire practice rarely took over 25-30 minutes. With all at risk, it was a reasonable exercise. Probably should still be repeated every cruise segment.

• Like 1

Exactly, it was never a big deal. People not concerned their time was wasted that first day. So why dumb it down so with new rules?  And put the passengers at risk, as well as the cruise line if there's ever a tragedy. One captain recently  told me he was against it but had no choice.

23 minutes ago, brittany12 said:

Exactly, it was never a big deal. People not concerned their time was wasted that first day. So why dumb it down so with new rules?  And put the passengers at risk, as well as the cruise line if there's ever a tragedy. One captain recently  told me he was against it but had no choice.

They started doing the online thing, not to dumb it down, but during the pandemic you didn't want large gatherings. There was a reason for it. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/8/2024 at 1:58 PM, exeter_acres said:

True story..

Carry on.

....and did you know that with the older Kapok life jackets (that had the bulk on the front and a 'pillow' on the rear) that if you had to jump into the water then you had to pull the front down as you jumped as the buoyancy impact was so great it could snap your neck? 😁  Just a thought.

• Like 1