CruiseNext for solo travelers

ChiefMateJRK

As shared in the other active thread on the topic of CruiseNext certificates, I've recently used them for the first time and wish I had gotten on board sooner.  That said, DD often travels with us solo and will likely also benefit from the CN process.  The published marketing materials, terms and conditions, etc. all seem to assume that it is at least two travelers, sharing a cabin, with a $250 deposit due (excluding Haven).  Solo travelers only pay a $125 deposit.  Does this confuse the CN process in any way?  Can a solo traveler still apply two $250 CN deposits (current promo) even though they are only paying for single occupancy (i.e. sometimes without a full single supplement)?  I would appreciate hearing what other solo travelers have experienced.  Thanks.

53 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

As shared in the other active thread on the topic of CruiseNext certificates, I've recently used them for the first time and wish I had gotten on board sooner.  That said, DD often travels with us solo and will likely also benefit from the CN process.  The published marketing materials, terms and conditions, etc. all seem to assume that it is at least two travelers, sharing a cabin, with a $250 deposit due (excluding Haven).  Solo travelers only pay a $125 deposit.  Does this confuse the CN process in any way?  Can a solo traveler still apply two $250 CN deposits (current promo) even though they are only paying for single occupancy (i.e. sometimes without a full single supplement)?  I would appreciate hearing what other solo travelers have experienced.  Thanks.

I have done it many times. Even without any supplement.

That $125 is just the minimum deposit.  If you want to put more down, such as using a CND, they'll certainly accept it.  I did it for my upcoming Escape cruise that I booked in September, and I used two when I booked my Joy cruise last March (they allowed two on a balcony or above, no time restriction on that one as I booked it 3 weeks out).

Edited by hallux
  • Like 1

I've used two while traveling solo, even for comped cruises.  I would have to add something to the reservation at time of booking (DSC, OBC, etc.) to make sure the final amount due is at least $500 otherwise I'd lose the remaining value of the CNs

Makes no difference what the "required" deposit is, you can use them as payment any time.  NCL considers any payments (US bookings) to be a refundable deposit.  And if they happen to run a double up promo before your final payment due date, you can usually just go to your account and make a payment using a CN.

2 hours ago, julig22 said:

Makes no difference what the "required" deposit is, you can use them as payment any time.  NCL considers any payments (US bookings) to be a refundable deposit.  And if they happen to run a double up promo before your final payment due date, you can usually just go to your account and make a payment using a CN.

Thanks.  I recently bought my first two on a cruise two weeks ago and successfully applied them to an existing booking last Sunday.  It's a good way to save $250 (or $125 for a booking without the double up promo).  I just wanted to confirm that it works fine for solo cruisers before suggesting to DD that she buy two on her next cruise with us.  I'm hoping that they'll continue to offer the double up promo on a continuing or frequent basis.

Edited by ChiefMateJRK

2 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Thanks.  I recently bought my first two on a cruise two weeks ago and successfully applied them to an existing booking last Sunday.  It's a good way to save $250 (or $125 for a booking without the double up promo).  I just wanted to confirm that it works fine for solo cruisers before suggesting to DD that she buy two on her next cruise with us.  I'm hoping that they'll continue to offer the double up promo on a continuing or frequent basis.

I am solo for a april cruise on the Joy.  When I booked I used a cruise first cert.  Bought on the same day I booked.  Same outcome   500 dollars off and the cruise first cost  250.   

17 minutes ago, madgran said:

I am solo for a april cruise on the Joy.  When I booked I used a cruise first cert.  Bought on the same day I booked.  Same outcome   500 dollars off and the cruise first cost  250.   

Thanks. I was aware of that.  I was asking about CruiseNext.  My concerns are with the following text in the terms and conditions of CruiseFirst:

1. CruiseFirst certificates are valid for new reservations ONLY that book and sail within 3 years of original certificate purchase date. Voyage date must be more than 120 days from original purchase date. Not applicable towards canceled/rebooked reservations. If a guest with an existing reservation cancels and rebooks the same ship and sail date with a CruiseFirst certificate, the additional value of the CruiseFirst certificate will be removed.
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Thanks. I was aware of that.  I was asking about CruiseNext.  My concerns are with the following text in the terms and conditions of CruiseFirst:

1. CruiseFirst certificates are valid for new reservations ONLY that book and sail within 3 years of original certificate purchase date. Voyage date must be more than 120 days from original purchase date. Not applicable towards canceled/rebooked reservations. If a guest with an existing reservation cancels and rebooks the same ship and sail date with a CruiseFirst certificate, the additional value of the CruiseFirst certificate will be removed.

yes, that is the downside of using cruisefirst.  Not a problem if you're booking within final payment though