Circle Japan Itineraries

CNSJ

Looking at 2024, I see that HAL has a circle Japan 14 day itinerary.  It is very port intensive with 9 ports in Japan and 1 in South Korea.  I am not familiar with these ports and wonder if the Japanese ports are mostly in industrial harbors or if any are close to sightseeing.  It would be nice not to look at shipping containers in every port and have to take shuttles/buses every day.

Any other comments on circle Japan are helpful.

Thanks!

We did pretty much a Circle Japan for 2 weeks, as part of one  the final  Maasdam InDepth cruises (SF - Alaska - Russia Far East - then two weeks around Japan ending in Tokyo)

This was before everything was shut down. Many of the ports are small, and very welcoming with special local greetings. Can't remember any mainly "industrial ports", even Yokohama was in a scenic setting with ready access to public transit that can take you anywhere you want to go on your own. We do mainly HAL shore excursions so this may be affecting my memory.  

All of the HAL shore excursions were excellent and we like taking the ones that offer more out-door and long distance experiences. The ferry trip to the island that makes soy sauce was a highlight. 

The worst thing about that wonderful Madam InDepth cruise package was it ended up in August and the summer in Japan was just unbearable for us. The one day we expected to visit Kyoto on our own, we ended up riding the A/C train to Nara instead and just wilting in Nara for the few hours we did spend there. Luckily we had been to Japan before during Cherry Blossom Time, so we were able to have a total experience after all.  

It is an intense port-port-port itinerary. But there is not much distance between the ports and each port provides another picture of Japan- modern, ancient, rural, and reconstructed. 

• Haha 1

We loved our circumnavigation. Yes some of the ports are industrial,  but there were usually shuttles.    This is no different than most of the cruises we have been on.  We found it one of our best cruise experiences ever.  Happy to answer more specific questions. 

• Like 1

Highlights  about Japan on our own :

---very clean public bathrooms everywhere;

---vending machines for water and other items everywhere;

---excellent public transportation to virtually everywhere.

---clean, helpful, safe with a good tourist infrastructure

---large variety of dining, fast food and snacking choices - included 24K gold plated ice cream

• Like 1

I would highly recommend timing your cruise to either the cherry blossom season (late March thru mid-April) for a circumnavigation of Japan. I am doing 28 days which is also sold as 2 14-day cruises. One is more southerly and includes Taiwan, the second is more northerly and includes S. Korea. You basically move from south to north, following the opening of the sakura.

Alternatively, in the fall there are also celebrations and "viewings" associated with the turn of fall foliage, in particular the maples leaves. I haven't done that one but would certainly consider it.

These events just add an extra bit of enjoyment to the itinerary.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

Highlights  about Japan on our own :

---very clean public bathrooms everywhere;

---vending machines for water and other items everywhere;

---excellent public transportation to virtually everywhere.

---clean, helpful, safe with a good tourist infrastructure

---large variety of dining, fast food and snacking choices - included 24K gold plated ice cream

And I will add:  The Japanese are polite, friendly and helpful.  It is a delightful country.  

• Like 4