Camp at Sea age ranges - rigid?

Fliblet

First time cruise-goer here. We're cruising with Celebrity later this month. We have 2 boys, ages 9 and 12, which means they fall into 2 different Camp at Sea age groups (6-9 and 10-12). The 9 year old is much better at getting on with older kids than younger ones, and will definitely want to be with his brother. How rigid are these age ranges? Has anyone ever had their kid be able to go into a different age range group?

I think the age range thing is about whether they can be independent with signing in/out with 6-9 year olds needing parents to sign them in/out and 10-12 year olds able to do it themselves. I'd be happy for the 9 year old to sign himself in/out, or equally I'd be happy to do it if it means he can be with the older group.

It's a shame, as I see that Royal Carribbean has 9-12 as one of their groups - wish Celebrity were the same! Has anyone managed to bend the Celebrity rules?

1 hour ago, Fliblet said:

First time cruise-goer here. We're cruising with Celebrity later this month. We have 2 boys, ages 9 and 12, which means they fall into 2 different Camp at Sea age groups (6-9 and 10-12). The 9 year old is much better at getting on with older kids than younger ones, and will definitely want to be with his brother. How rigid are these age ranges? Has anyone ever had their kid be able to go into a different age range group?

I think the age range thing is about whether they can be independent with signing in/out with 6-9 year olds needing parents to sign them in/out and 10-12 year olds able to do it themselves. I'd be happy for the 9 year old to sign himself in/out, or equally I'd be happy to do it if it means he can be with the older group.

It's a shame, as I see that Royal Carribbean has 9-12 as one of their groups - wish Celebrity were the same! Has anyone managed to bend the Celebrity rules?

I think it all depends upon who you have as the manager of the Camp at Sea. They certainly want to make you and your kids happy, and I can see them adjusting it so your boys can be together. However,  my guess is it will depend upon how many kids they have in each age group. If they have an overload of 10-12 they could be more reluctant. (just a guess as I really don't know)

I know I have been on a sailing when it was named Fun Factory (vs Camp at Sea) when my daughter was 8 or 9. They didn't have many kids that routinely came to Fun Factory on that cruise, so they combined the age groups and had different activities both could enjoy. I remember my daughter playing Anki Overdrive with the older kids and they all had a blast. Albeit, this was just one scenario and several years ago so who knows how it has changed since then. 

As for signing out, that I don't know. They may be more strict on that for liability reasons. Never hurts to ask though. 

I hope your boys love Camp at Sea. My daughter LOVED it as a kid (she loves the teen club now) and prefers Celebrity kids/teen programs over Royal Caribbean and Disney! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Agree it's going to be up to the manager once you're on board.  I don't know that the sign in/out part is negotiable, though.  If there aren't many kids sailing, they may combine the groups anyway or have overlap in activities.  If your 9 year old is within a few months of turning 10, I would mention that, too. 

Hope you will return after your cruise and let everyone know how it was handled.

• Thanks 1

I would be careful to set appropriate expectations with your boys. I have seen many posts over the years on this issue and have heard from several friends in similar situations -- for them, at least, the age requirements were super rigid with no wiggle room to try to keep sibs together. Of course, that is not to say your experience will be the same, but if the boys expect to be separated into their age groups, there won't be a huge disappointment if that happens. If the younger boy gets to join his older brother, (and wants to after looking at the actual activities for his group), also a win. 

• Thanks 1

We have a July Med cruise which I assume more kids on board?  Our 5 grandkids were looking at the Celebrity site over Christmas and checking out kids clubs. Our 9 yr old grandsons at first very bummed to not be be with his 12 yr old sister. The other day I was surprised and pleased that he now thinks he needs to be with his 9 yr old girl cousin who would feel sad w/o him. Always best when kids can work out their issues on the own. ❤️ 

I agree…we need to how this plays out and with low expectations….

• Thanks 1

Remember that it is an age range.  It likely won’t be 25 six year olds and two nine year olds.  He won’t be the only one 9 years old.  Have him give it a chance.  The best advice is if they have a welcome aboard session/sign up the first night, be sure that they go.  That’s when friends groups form…. EM

• Thanks 1

If Celebrity's policy is the same as RC's, then they will be VERY rigid about ages with regard to signing in and out.  I hope for your sake that is not the case, but don't go in thinking you will get any joy in that regard.

As far as combining groups, it'll probably have a lot to do with how many kids are on board and how the distribution comes out.

On 2/12/2023 at 9:02 AM, Fliblet said:

This was mentioned before, but I will reiterate it.  Depending on the number of kids on board, age groups have been known to be combined or even re-defined.  This happened with our kids a long time ago.

I don't think the 9 year old will be allowed to sign out on their own.