Oceania Compared to Seabourn and Silversea

Rebels82

Ak1004.  I think you may have summed it up better than anything I have read on these forums previously.  Thank you.  And lets all remember that choices are a wonderful thing.  We are lucky to have multiple lines available to allow us to pick and choose which best fit our needs, wants, desires and budget.

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

well since this has been resurrected, our 2 cents. We have done 3 SS since Feb 2022. Never had to dress up for a SS "formal night", including Istanbul to Barcelona last May 2022. We have not seen a Tux on SS since before the pandemic. Currently on the O Riviera. No jackets required on the formal nights. I have seen 2 guys in ties, but that is their choice. I do have a jacket but thats because our travel buddy was bringing one. We only pack all carry on, and I can get a jacket in, not wearing it on the plane. Black travel pants on the bottom. Slip on Sketchers. It is not fancy at all any more. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 2ws said:

well since this has been resurrected, our 2 cents. We have done 3 SS since Feb 2022. Never had to dress up for a SS "formal night", including Istanbul to Barcelona last May 2022. We have not seen a Tux on SS since before the pandemic. Currently on the O Riviera. No jackets required on the formal nights. I have seen 2 guys in ties, but that is their choice. I do have a jacket but thats because our travel buddy was bringing one. We only pack all carry on, and I can get a jacket in, not wearing it on the plane. Black travel pants on the bottom. Slip on Sketchers. It is not fancy at all any more. 

Just to make sure others understand, O has no Formal Nights...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 2ws said:

well since this has been resurrected, our 2 cents. We have done 3 SS since Feb 2022. Never had to dress up for a SS "formal night", including Istanbul to Barcelona last May 2022. We have not seen a Tux on SS since before the pandemic. Currently on the O Riviera. No jackets required on the formal nights. I

What formal nights???

Is this  new ?

3 hours ago, 2ws said:

I'm really confused by this post.

First, you definitely have to dress up on SS formal nights - unless you go to two venues that have outside dining. In fact, you need a jacket to enter most dining venues even on "informal" nights. And many men did wear a Tux. Not the majority probably, but significant number.

Second, "No jackets required on the formal nights on O" - O doesn't have formal nights. Some men do wear a jacket, but it's their choice.

The bottom line is that O is one of the most casual lines while SS is one of the most formal.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ak1004 said:

I'm really confused by this post.

First, you definitely have to dress up on SS formal nights - unless you go to two venues that have outside dining. In fact, you need a jacket to enter most dining venues even on "informal" nights. And many men did wear a Tux. Not the majority probably, but significant number.

Second, "No jackets required on the formal nights on O" - O doesn't have formal nights. Some men do wear a jacket, but it's their choice.

The bottom line is that O is one of the most casual lines while SS is one of the most formal.

As said above, my O "formal nights" was in quotes. There are no formal nights, at least on this ship (Riviera) since 3-22-23. There are elegant club casual nights. This phrase takes longer to type.  Sorry if you misunderstood and I was not clear. And there were no real mandatory formal nights on my last 3 SS sailings in the past 12 months. February 22 Antarctica, (the plague ship), May 22 IST to BCN, no tuxes and no ties to be seen, and September Galapagos, nope no formal, an occasional jacket because many were coming from a business meeting in Quito.  They may say "formal nights" on an SS sailing, but a jacket with no tie has been the top tier/formal for most men on my last 3 SS sailings post pandemic and nobody gets turned away with slacks and a decent shirt.  Oceania is more relaxed by a slight bit,  but I find very little difference in male attire requirements between the 2 lines. Same for RSSC. Doing a SB in May and will get to judge.   YMMV. 

Edited by 2ws
clarify

8 minutes ago, 2ws said:

As said above, my O "formal nights" was in quotes. There are no formal nights, at least on this ship since 3-22-23. There are elegant club casual nights.

There are NO formal nights on any Oceania ships AFAIK

Where do you find "Elegant club casual nights " is that on O or the Luxury lines??

Sorry in precovid cruises on O  have never seen any nights  described as Elegant club casual  what ever that means

sounds like an oxymoron to me 🤔

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, 2ws said:

As said above, my O "formal nights" was in quotes. There are no formal nights, at least on this ship (Riviera) since 3-22-23. There are elegant club casual nights. This phrase takes longer to type.  Sorry if you misunderstood and I was not clear. And there were no real mandatory formal nights on my last 3 SS sailings in the past 12 months. February 22 Antarctica, (the plague ship), May 22 IST to BCN, no tuxes and no ties to be seen, and September Galapagos, nope no formal, an occasional jacket because many were coming from a business meeting in Quito.  They may say "formal nights" on an SS sailing, but a jacket with no tie has been the top tier/formal for most men on my last 3 SS sailings post pandemic and nobody gets turned away with slacks and a decent shirt.  Oceania is more relaxed by a slight bit,  but I find very little difference in male attire requirements between the 2 lines. Same for RSSC. Doing a SB in May and will get to judge.   YMMV. 

Actually your O formal nights was not in quotes if you look at your post.

Never had to dress up for a SS "formal night" - this was in quotes. 

Looks like some of your SS cruises were expedition cruises - no formal nights on expedition cruises, but those are different animals. Unless your IST to BCN was expedition too, I find it hard to believe no ties on formal nights. They are very strict about it, unless you go to the Grill or the Pizza place which are outside. On classic (non expedition) cruises there are definitely formal nights where jackets and ties are required. 

Just to clarify - SS=Silversea, correct?

Why to mislead people?

Edited by ak1004
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

We are sailing Seabourn for the first time in May. Formal nights equals jacket, collared shirts, slacks. DH will wear a suit but no tie. Ties nor tuxes required. 
We have not sailed Silver Seas 

SB is less formal than SS.

9 hours ago, 2ws said:

There are elegant club casual nights. T

Could you show us this in the Currents. 28 cruises with O and never heard of it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1