Dancing

sundaypeople5

3 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

OK. To bring up the dreaded dress code again, some posters are so flipping hidebound, we'd soon be sailing on increasingly empty ships if potential newbies took some folk's aspirational dress as the norm rather rather than actual dress onboard, and decided not to give Cunard a try.

The same goes here. This will be YOUR ship for the duration and if you want to get out on that dance floor and dance, middle, edge or wherever, you go ahead and do that.  Don't let a couple of comments put you off. A Cunard dance floor is for ALL passengers and etiquette will be learnt as experience progresses. Go and join the majority who aren't experts and who just want to dance.

Enjoy yourselves. 🙂

Cunard do often offer dancing lesson sessions on the daily programme, though these are not always well timed. On one cruise I was in, they had Charleston lessons after the roaring twenties night. However, attending a couple of early sessions, along with, it seems, quite a number of others who are not expert, might make you feel relaxed about taking to the floor and enjoying the evening dancing as an agreeable social activity.

• Like 2

The dress code is an excellent comparison. A few years ago I came to the stunning conclusion that what I'm wearing makes no difference to how the food tastes. But Cunard won't let me into the dining room even though it's my cruise. (My last time on QE the buffet was excellent, and more fun anyway.)

If I head for the golf course with my tennis racket to hit my basketball around, they won't let me, even though it's my tee time.

On just about all US ships, the focus is on heavy drinking and eating, with lowest-common-denominator entertainment, as well as cheaper than Cunard.

Edited by Dancer Bob

37 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

OK. To bring up the dreaded dress code again, some posters are so flipping hidebound, we'd soon be sailing on increasingly empty ships if potential newbies took some folk's aspirational dress as the norm rather rather than actual dress onboard, and decided not to give Cunard a try.

The same goes here. This will be YOUR ship for the duration and if you want to get out on that dance floor and dance, middle, edge or wherever, you go ahead and do that.  Don't let a couple of comments put you off. A Cunard dance floor is for ALL passengers and etiquette will be learnt as experience progresses. Go and join the majority who aren't experts and who just want to dance.

Enjoy yourselves. 🙂

Ditto.......Bravo...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dancer Bob said:

The dress code is an excellent comparison. A few years ago I came to the stunning conclusion that what I'm wearing makes no difference to how the food tastes. But Cunard won't let me into the dining room even though it's my cruise. (My last time on QE the buffet was excellent, and more fun anyway.)

If I head for the golf course with my tennis racket to hit my basketball around, they won't let me, even though it's my tee time.

On just about all US ships, the focus is on heavy drinking and eating, with lowest-common-denominator entertainment, as well as cheaper than Cunard.

Your usage of the analogy is a littlle left of field.

Our golf club has written rules on dress code. Cunard has written 'rules' re dress codes.

Nowhere, as far as I have seen, has Cunard posted any 'thou shalt' notices regarding dance floor etiquette. That isn't to say there isn't any, just that the floor is open to all and those who are more experienced will just have to put up with newcomers to the floor who will 'learn on the job'!

It's extremely selfish to assume the floor is only open to the experienced and I for one, as a spectator on deck three  will be delighted to see the, dare I say it, slightly clumsy initial forays onto the floor and wish like mad I had the guts to join them.  Well done dance newbies. We all have to start somewhere and why not on a wonderful holiday on a fabulous Cunard ship. Having the guts to get up knowing you're not up to par in some eyes  takes some doing. Well done those who do so.👍

takes a lot of guts.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

The floor etiquette is analogous to driving on a multiple lane motorway. The is a slow lane and a faster lanes. It the slower drivers stick to the the slower lanes and the fast drivers are given the freedom to use the fast outer lanes then there's freedom and enjoyment for all. It's much the same on the dance floor. Simple to learn about, easy to follow, and makes dancing fun for everyone. That way the experienced and beginner dancers can all have a good time. Just like on the road if the slow drivers take up the fast lanes because they feel it's their right, then it makes life difficult for everyone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, ballroom-cruisers said:

The floor etiquette is analogous to driving on a multiple lane motorway. The is a slow lane and a faster lanes. It the slower drivers stick to the the slower lanes and the fast drivers are given the freedom to use the fast outer lanes then there's freedom and enjoyment for all. It's much the same on the dance floor. Simple to learn about, easy to follow, and makes dancing fun for everyone. That way the experienced and beginner dancers can all have a good time. Just like on the road if the slow drivers take up the fast lanes because they feel it's their right, then it makes life difficult for everyone.

All drivers, experienced or not can use all motorway lanes. One can extrapolate that to all dancers can use all the floor thus those who wish to be inconspicuous can stay fairly central.

However one wishes interpret things, those who have the guts to get up on the dance floor but remain fairly inconspicuous, can do so, in the middle. Ish.

I have used the word 'guts' rather a lot. What a shame I've used it with respect to those who know very little about ballroom dancing and  wish to give it a go on holiday but are worried about doing so.

It's a holiday, not an endurance test.😄

• Like 1

This all seems a bit "over the top", if that's an expression anyone still uses.

It would take too long to address all points made.

The Queens Room floors may seem big, but they aren't really. If we were going to an evening social dance in a hall in Glasgow as we used to do regularly, or many other UK towns and cities we would expect the floor to be at least twice that size. It doesn't take that many people to be up before movement is quite restricted. In practice if we adhere to lanes the "more experienced" dancers will soon find themselves confined to a postage stamp in the centre of the floor. They don't generally want to be stuck there and in dances where it is nice being able to travel large distances on the line of dance they do that and an inexperienced dancer can find themselves forced to the centre. I know that because when we were novices in quick step we found ourselves in that situation.

It is better that if a dance is announced; Waltz (English, Modern or Slow), Slow Foxtrot, Quick-Step, Tango, that those joining the floor attempt that dance however basic their steps might be. It is best to keep moving along the line of dance. If you come to a traffic jam you need to find a step that will keep you stationary if you can't find a way through, you can use the carpet at side provided you don't hit anyone sitting there! In waltz the "Four in a box" step in some of the beginners videos is ideal for that. If a novice can learn basic waltz steps sometimes known as "Four in a line (if you do 4 of them), plus the box they should be able to get round a crowded floor.

I learned a few dance steps for school dances in latter stages of primary school and for annual dance in secondary. My wife had no prior dance experience. 20 years later and my wife and I went to dinner dances not knowing how to dance. We started lessons in January 1993. We've never been interested in competition or medals. There are no suitable classes where we live so we've only had 1 professional lesson during a rare trip to Glasgow in the last 7 years. We've forgotten most of the advanced variations we've been taught in past. We usually stick to basics but do our best to make it look good.

In latin dances we do try to place our hands/arms correctly (was it "Hand Flippers"?, loved that). It looks far worse if arms dangle to the side like a bird with a broken wing. That just sends a message that you have no confidence in what you're doing and you don't want anyone to watch you, but in fact that's just what happens. Although if the floor is full you really need to keep hands/arms close in case you smack someone in the face!

But most importantly, and I hope other experienced couples do the same; we're always aware of those around us and particularly to the sides and if we see couples looking for a space to join the floor we'll try to move out of their way to allow them on.

Novices should not feel that they are unwelcome on the floor. Experienced dancers will always get a chance at another time when the floor is less crowded.

If no particular dance is announced then it's a different matter. Folk will just dance what they think fits the music. If there's a mix of styles then it's best that those dancing more or less on the spot as in forms of jive congregate in centre and those moving round the floor (perhaps Foxtrot) use the edges.

I'll stop rambling on, but please don't be prevented from dancing because you feel intimidated. Even if you just walk round the floor in time to music.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, D&N said:

This all seems a bit "over the top", if that's an expression anyone still uses.

It would take too long to address all points made.

The Queens Room floors may seem big, but they aren't really. If we were going to an evening social dance in a hall in Glasgow as we used to do regularly, or many other UK towns and cities we would expect the floor to be at least twice that size. It doesn't take that many people to be up before movement is quite restricted. In practice if we adhere to lanes the "more experienced" dancers will soon find themselves confined to a postage stamp in the centre of the floor. They don't generally want to be stuck there and in dances where it is nice being able to travel large distances on the line of dance they do that and an inexperienced dancer can find themselves forced to the centre. I know that because when we were novices in quick step we found ourselves in that situation.

It is better that if a dance is announced; Waltz (English, Modern or Slow), Slow Foxtrot, Quick-Step, Tango, that those joining the floor attempt that dance however basic their steps might be. It is best to keep moving along the line of dance. If you come to a traffic jam you need to find a step that will keep you stationary if you can't find a way through, you can use the carpet at side provided you don't hit anyone sitting there! In waltz the "Four in a box" step in some of the beginners videos is ideal for that. If a novice can learn basic waltz steps sometimes known as "Four in a line (if you do 4 of them), plus the box they should be able to get round a crowded floor.

I learned a few dance steps for school dances in latter stages of primary school and for annual dance in secondary. My wife had no prior dance experience. 20 years later and my wife and I went to dinner dances not knowing how to dance. We started lessons in January 1993. We've never been interested in competition or medals. There are no suitable classes where we live so we've only had 1 professional lesson during a rare trip to Glasgow in the last 7 years. We've forgotten most of the advanced variations we've been taught in past. We usually stick to basics but do our best to make it look good.

In latin dances we do try to place our hands/arms correctly (was it "Hand Flippers"?, loved that). It looks far worse if arms dangle to the side like a bird with a broken wing. That just sends a message that you have no confidence in what you're doing and you don't want anyone to watch you, but in fact that's just what happens. Although if the floor is full you really need to keep hands/arms close in case you smack someone in the face!

But most importantly, and I hope other experienced couples do the same; we're always aware of those around us and particularly to the sides and if we see couples looking for a space to join the floor we'll try to move out of their way to allow them on.

Novices should not feel that they are unwelcome on the floor. Experienced dancers will always get a chance at another time when the floor is less crowded.

If no particular dance is announced then it's a different matter. Folk will just dance what they think fits the music. If there's a mix of styles then it's best that those dancing more or less on the spot as in forms of jive congregate in centre and those moving round the floor (perhaps Foxtrot) use the edges.

I'll stop rambling on, but please don't be prevented from dancing because you feel intimidated. Even if you just walk round the floor in time to music.

I'm perplexed about your extension of the lanes analogy.  Won't it be the less experienced dancers in the center?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 57eric said:

I'm perplexed about your extension of the lanes analogy.  Won't it be the less experienced dancers in the center?

Understandable but no. You need to refer to an earlier post in the thread where it is suggested that novices might stick to the edge of floors leaving the centre to the more experienced. I'm saying that doesn't always work in my experience.

52 minutes ago, D&N said:

Understandable but no. You need to refer to an earlier post in the thread where it is suggested that novices might stick to the edge of floors leaving the centre to the more experienced. I'm saying that doesn't always work in my experience.

Right, in actuality it's the other way around.

Dancing is movement in time to music. Check your dictionary. Ballroom dancing is even more specific. So there IS a written rule what you mean when you use the word. Further, the context of this thread is with a partner (posture) and in a social environment (courtesy);

As i pointed out earlier, courteous does differ by place and time, so you do have to spend a couple of minutes observing. But it's no more complicated than "Don't block the elevator doors", which I would expect of any sober Cunard passenger.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
8 hours ago, Mercruiser said:

I'm on QM2 now. There is one male and one female host in the Queens Room tonight.

Interesting - I wonder if the limited number of dance hosts is because that is all that Cunard wishes to have, or if they are struggling to persuade dance hosts to take on the role?

Certainly some English hosts we know will be on board some QM2 voyages coming up this summer, but I don't know what the central policy is on numbers, and whether there is any co-ordination between the British and American host recruiting agencies. and whether they are managed centrally by Cunard, or not.

• 9 months later...
On 3/12/2023 at 4:39 AM, sundaypeople5 said:

I agree this is feeling very intimidating.  It sounds like even if my husband and I took lessons we will still not be up to par.  We were hoping for all of the romance that dressing up every night, eating fancy food and dancing to a big band in formal wear has to offer. I have two left feet and certainly don’t want to put my clumsiness on display for all to see by dancing around the perimeter.  Thus the idea of hiding in the middle. I didn’t realize that we would be messing up the flow for other dancers.My husband doesn’t mind my clumsiness thankfully. My husband is a P.A. In the ER and does not work a set schedule. This makes it challenging to sign up the for dance classes.  We guess tutorials are not suitable either according to the majority of comments. Maybe this isn’t the cruise line for us. Any suggestions for other cruise ships that offer the romantic activities, but are less critical about dancing?  

We are in the same situation, i.e. no dancing experience but want to give it a try.  We will try to learn from YouTube dance lessons, though we live a long distance apart and so cannot practice together.   

My hope is that the reality of the situation is that there will likely be some "serious" dancers, but also enough people that are in a similar position to ours that we still give it a go.