Sharing a dining credit

curlstravel

My husband and I have shared dinner at Q,  Food Republic and LaCucina because I don’t eat that much and we find that using 2 dining credits is way to much for us.  Is there any restaurant where you are not allowed to share? I am not talking about using platinum vouchers etc. I am talking about using the dining credits that we purchase before our cruise.

7 hours ago, curlstravel said:

My husband and I have shared dinner at Q,  Food Republic and LaCucina because I don’t eat that much and we find that using 2 dining credits is way to much for us.  Is there any restaurant where you are not allowed to share? I am not talking about using platinum vouchers etc. I am talking about using the dining credits that we purchase before our cruise.

Below are the most recent Terms and Conditions for the Dining Packages: (You might experience)

SDPs are personal (per person, e.g., 2 guests cannot share 1 SDP meal) and non-transferable (guests cannot give their SDP meals to someone else). An SDP meal in a la carte restaurants includes 1 appetizer, 1 soup or salad, 1 main course and 1 dessert (does not apply to cover charge restaurants or Food Republic, Pincho Tapas Bar and Sushi, where a meal includes any 4 menu items). No sharing or to go orders permitted. SDP does not include beverages and additional and/or premium menu items will incur charges. A 20% gratuity and specialty service charge will be added to the package price. No SDP kids pricing available. We encourage guests to visit ncl.com/myncl to make dining reservations in advance. Reservations are not required but highly recommended, once onboard, reservations will be subject to availability. SDP meals can be enjoyed at American Diner, Cagney’s Steakhouse, Food Republic, Italian, Le Bistro, Los Lobos, Moderno Churrascaria, Pincho Tapas Bar, Q Texas Smokehouse, Raw Bar, Seafood, Sushi and Teppanyaki.

Dining options vary by ship. You may choose to use SDP meals in entertainment-based restaurants. There will be a 20% gratuity charge on all SDP entertainment-based restaurants.

Venues/Events not included in SDP include: Room Service, SWIFT, District Brewhouse, The Bake Shop, Coco’s, O’ Sheehan’s Ice Cream Bar, Dolce Gelato, Special Occasion/Holiday menus and select Entertainment-based meals.

33 minutes ago, jcollin said:

Is the sharing thing really enforced?  We plan on using a FAS credit at Food republic and sharing.

We were able to use one credit for the both of us at Food Republic when on the Bliss last week (we used it twice).  Only thing was that Food Republic was only open for dinner and not open for lunch on sea days.  We figured this was due to staffing issues on our 15 day panama canal cruise.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, lakelivin2 said:

We were able to use one credit for the both of us at Food Republic when on the Bliss last week (we used it twice).  Only thing was that Food Republic was only open for dinner and not open for lunch on sea days.  We figured this was due to staffing issues on our 15 day panama canal cruise.

It is doubtful that it had anything to do with staffing issues. 

We were encouraged By staff at food republic to share one dining credit and said it would be more than enough for two people.  We had already read on cruise critic that other guest were sharing too.  That’s where we got the idea to share at Q also because it’s a lot of food and plenty for two people. When we told the servers at Q we were going to share they said ok we will bring you extra corn bread.  We were also told at La Cucina when we were talking to the staff about wanting to try the pizza sometime that we could come back another night and use one voucher and share a pizza. It is getting really confusing about which restaurants allow it and which restaurants don’t. I think if you don’t eat that much food and you want to share it should be allowed at any of the restaurants you are still only ordering the amount of one person even if a second person is sharing with you.

I can see how it could be a big problem because you'd be occupying tables twice as much if you are only using one credit per table instead of two.  Imagine if everyone did that.  You'd also be occupying an additional table they could otherwise make more revenue off of.  (This coming from someone who doesn't really do specialty dining so has no dog in this fight.)

My husband and I were on the Bliss recently. We were able to share 1 specialty dining credit at each of Food Republic, Q, La Cucina and Cagneys. We asked about sharing when we booked the reservations and were told it was up to the supervisor at each restaurant; when we checked in at the restaurants and told them we wanted to share it was never an issue. Our server at Cagneys even offered to bring us an extra dessert, but we were too full! 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, SomewhereGirl said:

... Imagine if everyone did that.  You'd also be occupying an additional table they could otherwise make more revenue off of ... 

Valid point, in theory.  

Imagine, just imagine from a different service and managerial angle - if NCL can fully staff their dining room & gallery operations, can "speed" up the dining experience by 15% to 25% and reduce that 1-1-1 plus 1 specialty dining time from 90 to 120 minutes down a click or two, say  75 to 90 minutes instead. 

The average diner can easily finish that soup or salad or appetizer (mostly petite, single-serving sized these days using a larger plate or bowl, however) and the entrees with the micro-sized decorative trimmings (Cagney steakhouse, possibly being an exception) and be done with, clear the dishes & plates, bring out the dessert (choice of 1 among the 5 or 6 on the menu) plus coffee/tea - done.  Countless times we sat at the table, waiting and chatting, eat and spend more time waiting - watching them dancing around to/from the gallery, usually 1 deck below, sometimes 2 decks.  Mindful that Cagney's, Q, Food Republic, and Teppanyaki (along, O'Sheehan's and The Local) run their own mini kitchen directly nearby and once the order is on queue.  

Get the diners in promptly, service and clear the table once it's vacant, clean & set it up and then you can seat other guests with reservations quickly (and, probably watching & waiting nearby already)  - regardless of whether they are sharing and/or feasting on extra sides, wining while dining, etc.  

Lately, whether it's in the MDR or SD, we've sat thru 2 hours+ leisure dining onboard from 6 to 8:15 p.m. and know for certain, the odds of NCL "needing" or able to "use" that table again that evening for the next "seating" is low to none.  

Besides, NCL does NOT have a cover charge or minimum per person or plate charge in the "upscale" dining venue - it is perfectly acceptable and not against any written rules for someone, myself included, to just enjoy a soup and salad in Le Bistro while other guests are doing a 5 course full meal.  To share is not to waste ... isn't it ??  

Edited by mking8288

18 hours ago, curlstravel said:

You are not allowed to share a dining credit. The only potential exception are those with a fixed number of items like Food Republic, Sushi, Pinchos, and Raw Bar. 

32 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

You are not allowed to share a dining credit. The only potential exception are those with a fixed number of items like Food Republic, Sushi, Pinchos, and Raw Bar. 

That is not what posters are saying about recent experiences on board…read back. Basically, it depends..

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Reader in chief said:

My husband and I were on the Bliss recently. We were able to share 1 specialty dining credit at each of Food Republic, Q, La Cucina and Cagneys. We asked about sharing when we booked the reservations and were told it was up to the supervisor at each restaurant; when we checked in at the restaurants and told them we wanted to share it was never an issue. Our server at Cagneys even offered to bring us an extra dessert, but we were too full! 

The reason I would like to share at Cagney’s is because I have a seafood allergy and all of their appetizers are seafood which is not right. They should have other items for people who have allergies or don’t like to eat seafood.  I don’t know who came up with that menu idea.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

If you are not allowed to share then why are their employees recommending it like at
LaCucina telling us to come back and share a pizza with one dining credit ?

Edited by curlstravel
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, curlstravel said:

If you are not allowed to share then why are their employees recommending it like at
LaCucina telling us to come back and share a pizza with one dining credit ?

The policy says "no sharing". You need to be careful about setting expectations of unsuspecting cruisers with one-off experiences. A one-off experience does not mean that the OP should expect that and count on it for their planning. You could ruin someone's vacation that way. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, curlstravel said:

The reason I would like to share at Cagney’s is because I have a seafood allergy and all of their appetizers are seafood which is not right. They should have other items for people who have allergies or don’t like to eat seafood.  I don’t know who came up with that menu idea.

Even before the new policy went into effect, you were not allowed to swap a salad for an appetizer at Cagney's. At least this is what I was told in April. I didn't want any of the appetizers, but did want a soup and salad. I was told no. That I could only have one appetizer, one soup OR salad, and an entree. Thankfully, my husband didn't want a soup or salad, so he took one for the team. I got my soup and salad. 

I know others have had far different experiences, which is why this is so important to take note of:

12 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

The policy says "no sharing". You need to be careful about setting expectations of unsuspecting cruisers with one-off experiences. A one-off experience does not mean that the OP should expect that and count on it for their planning. You could ruin someone's vacation that way. 

Don't like it? Don't eat there. Cagney's is nothing special anyway. I say this from my vast knowledge having had one experience there. 🤪

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Don't like it? Don't eat there. Cagney's is nothing special anyway. I say this from my vast knowledge having had one experience there. 🤪

I've had similar experiences.  My last time at Cagney's, I just asked the waiter which cut of steak was currently good.  He immediately and confidently said "rib-eye."  It was good.  Otherwise, I likely would have rolled the dice on a Fillet or New York Strip.  I'll do this from now on.  They even "almost" got medium-rare right.  I think next time I'll just order rare and see what I get.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Anyone else have experience with sharing the purchased dining credit?

We have only eaten in one speciality - Ocean Blue.  That time we did not have credits; we paid the a la carte prices.  One of us ordered one salad and one entree.  The other had one appetizer.  We shared all the items.  It was plenty of food.  Server was professional and friendly.

So would we not be able to do that using a dining credit?  Could one use the credit and the other order a la carte?

Thanks.

26 minutes ago, happy cruzer said:

So would we not be able to do that using a dining credit?  Could one use the credit and the other order a la carte?

The official policy is: "2 guests cannot share 1 SDP meal". You can always ask. Obviously not at Moderno, but all the other restaurants offer you a limited amount of food for one credit, so they shouldn't care that much. It is extra work for the wait staff, so consider tipping accordingly.

One person using a credit and the other person paying à la carte is absolutely fine, and if you're lucky they will put some of the à la carte items on the first person's bill and the final total will be lower than it should be.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, happy cruzer said:

The terms and conditions don't mention sides.  Are they unlimited?

Sharing one credit would be perfect for us.

Thanks for all the reports.

Two sides. 

You are not allowed to share a dining credit. The person not using the credit may not eat anything from the person using the credit or they will be charged for that item. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Two sides. 

You are not allowed to share a dining credit. The person not using the credit may not eat anything from the person using the credit or they will be charged for that item. 

Thanks for the warning.  We normally split our items where ever we dine on land or at sea except at buffets or all you can eat ( which we avoid if possible). Occasionally there is a charge for sharing.  If NCL turns out to the be one time that we can't share then we probably will not have a good match going forward with their offer of Free at Sea.  Whether the meal is paid for using a dining credit or with cash, should not really matter??  We will see what they say when we sail.

Again, thanks for the warning so we are prepared.  Enjoy your cruise 🙂

• 4 months later...

Anyone have any updates on sharing being "enforced"?  It came to mind recently when we went to a very nice french restaurant where it was no issue to share.  We shared one appetizer, then had an entree and another appetizer, and shared a dessert.  We took home food.

Just checking for updates of onboard experiences.  Thanks.

On 2/15/2023 at 8:03 PM, curlstravel said:

Agree.  This is crazy.  There are a substantial number of people who do not eat seafood and Cagneys is supposedly a steakhouse.  Who's idea was it to have all the appetizers be seafood in a steakhouse?

• Like 3