Sun beds on Arvia

Tinykeith

Thinking of booking on Arvia but seen a few reviews saying people are struggling to get a sun bed as people are reserving them,  you need to be up at the crack of Dawn to get a bed, not my ideal of a holiday, any feedback would be appreciated, going September 

41 minutes ago, Tinykeith said:

Thinking of booking on Arvia but seen a few reviews saying people are struggling to get a sun bed as people are reserving them,  you need to be up at the crack of Dawn to get a bed, not my ideal of a holiday, any feedback would be appreciated, going September 

We are onboard in September. From a personal view I am not too worried because we don't lounge in the direct sun so beds are available in the shade. To answer your question, from reports on social media they are tightening up and removing items if the lounger is unoccupied after 30 minutes from when a notice was left by staff.

Whether they will keep this up when she returns to Southampton is anyone's guess.

48 minutes ago, Tinykeith said:

I imagine it is the sunbeds around the outdoor pools which are difficult to find. But there are plenty of other sunbeds on the upper decks and on the promenade deck,assuming it is similar to Iona.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tinykeith said:

In January, and looking down from our balcony on deck 11 a couple of times, I saw folk 'reserving' them on the promenade deck as early as 06:00; some even before the crew had set them out.

I thought about going down and removing all the books and towels, but my bed was calling me. 

• Haha 3

On 2/15/2023 at 8:20 AM, Tinykeith said:

My experience in the Caribbean recently was that you most definitely could get a sun bed when ever you wanted one but getting it in the sun was another matter. Hence, the early morning sun bed shuffle and I mean 7am early and before that for the best spots. 
Good luck 🤞 

• Thanks 1

On our recent Caribbean Arvia cruise most if not all of the loungers in the sun were gone by 7:30. It's not just around the pools it's everywhere on deck thats not in shade.

The crew came out at 7am to untie them and they were all already untied by passengers and in use. 

Regarding the 30 mins rule and notes being put of loungers if unoccupied, this is done very infrequently and as a token effort. I wouldn't rely on that happening. 

Having never felt the slightest desire on a cruise to lie on a sunbed, out of sympathy for my fellow passengers, I’m puzzled by the fact that this is such a hot issue.  

Do balcony passengers feel the same need, or is it primarily non-balcony passengers, which I could entirely understand. Is it the understandable desire to be outside, or is actually being in the sun rather than the shade essential?

Or am I just a freak for not wanting to spend hours lying on a sunbed?

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Having never felt the slightest desire on a cruise to lie on a sunbed, out of sympathy for my fellow passengers, I’m puzzled by the fact that this is such a hot issue.  

Do balcony passengers feel the same need, or is it primarily non-balcony passengers, which I could entirely understand. Is it the understandable desire to be outside, or is actually being in the sun rather than the shade essential?

With you on this Harry. I've never been a sun-worshipper and that's why I always book a balcony -price permitting. On the occasions I take an insider the desire to be outside is my main motivator but always in the shade. No freaks here!  Jane xx

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

No. I have never used a deck sun bed on a cruise. Much prefer my own balcony and always in the shade. 

• Like 2

We have just got back of arvia , and although the ship is wonderful, and it really is . the lack of deck space for sunbeds is what lets it down in my opinion.if you wanting to get a prime location on deck you will be looking at 6am, yes that’s rite 6am it’s ridiculous and I know it’s that time because I was one of those up there at that time. It was ridiculous to see people setting their locations and beds up in pitch black darkness and iam embarrassed to say that I was one of them . There was even sun beds across the running track ??? In which also  bizarrely goes past the smoking area ??? In short ship is fantastic we really enjoyed it the deck plan needs to be te thought about IMO

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/15/2023 at 9:46 AM, Host Sharon said:

Since luggage is unrestricted - one solution might be to take your own folding lounger 🙂

Could I pack that with my folding 2 top and chairs for the MDR.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just got off Arvia yesterday and sunbeds are the biggest topic on ship.

on sea days and the beds and chairs are all gone by 7.30 am. All bunched together just like a seal colony. They have started a system that if ur missing on ur sunbed they put a yellow tag on it , and if you don’t return within a certain time there remove towels and personal effects.

still doesn’t work though

1 hour ago, Cliffholl55 said:

Just got off Arvia yesterday and sunbeds are the biggest topic on ship.

on sea days and the beds and chairs are all gone by 7.30 am. All bunched together just like a seal colony. They have started a system that if ur missing on ur sunbed they put a yellow tag on it , and if you don’t return within a certain time there remove towels and personal effects.

still doesn’t work though

If sunbeds are the biggest topic on a P&O cruise, I think the company’s succeeding in its aim of attracting a different clientele! Whether it’s catering properly for that clientele is another matter!

This could approach the infamy of the great bathchair riot of 1923.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

If sunbeds are the biggest topic on a P&O cruise, I think the company’s succeeding in its aim of attracting a different clientele! Whether it’s catering properly for that clientele is another matter!

This could approach the infamy of the great bathchair riot of 1923.

We still talk about this over cigars and cognac once the ladies have withdrawn after dinner…..scandalous!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I'm sat in a chair that folds back so almost a sun bed on Arvia right now!!!

In prime spot at the back of the ship overlooking a lovely infinity pool

My wife is on a sun bed nearby

We had 2 chairs together til she found a sunbed come available

A poster above is correct

Plenty of sunbeds and sunchairs all over the ship

But prime spots in the sun all day next to infinity pools - you need to be up early to get

There's numerous prime spots as well

Depends how much you want prime spot or how much you just want a sunbed that won't be in the sun all day - down the sides of the ship

I think same would apply at any hotel or on any ship - prime spots are competitive!

It's a sea day today

It's glorious weather albeit breezy

We've done approaching 10 cruises now

Arvia is stunning. Best ship we've ever been on. I've got a live thread currently where I will add more shortly

Edited by Interestedcruisefan
  • Like 8

The more decks of accommodation,  the less space per person on the one top deck equivalent. 

Perhaps "solution" in P&O eyes , increase size of retreat, those who want guarantee of sun bed pay for it. Fits in with sell cabins cheap and charge for whatever you can.  "Ryanair". Forces people to shops and bars.

Thank God for huge balcony on rear suite

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Windsurfboy said:

The more decks of accommodation,  the less space per person on the one top deck equivalent. 

Perhaps "solution" in P&O eyes , increase size of retreat, those who want guarantee of sun bed pay for it. Fits in with sell cabins cheap and charge for whatever you can.  "Ryanair". Forces people to shops and bars.

Thank God for huge balcony on rear suite

I agree but there's plenty of best spaces here

To compete for!! Lol

Several at front and back of the ship

I think where we are is better than The Retreat tbf. Stunning infinity pool. I'm going for a dip soon

4 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

I agree but there's plenty of best spaces here

To compete for!! Lol

Several at front and back of the ship

I think where we are is better than The Retreat tbf. Stunning infinity pool. I'm going for a dip soon

I dare you to do a bomb in the pool and soak all the balconies below.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

There's all things for everyone. Some you guys won't  like. 

As I walked past the dome ten minutes ago the roof was open and they were  playing bingo!!

In the sun at 2.30pm. 

Another way to get people to use the Retreat I guess.

But the fact is I had to walk past there to know it was even happening. Some people like that  kind of thing. Plenty of people enjoying  it. 

Each to their own.

Edited by Interestedcruisefan

1 minute ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

There's all things for everyone. Some you guys won't  like. 

As I walked past the dome ten minutes ago the roof was open and they were  playing bingo!!

In the sun at 2.30pm. 

Another way to get people to use the Retreat I guess.

But the fact is I head to walk past there to know it was even happening. Some people like that  kind of thing. Plenty of people enjoying  it. 

Each to their own.

Have they introduced the candy floss and toffee apple stalls yet to complete the Skegness experience? Surely a matter of time?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2