Ask Royal Caribbean Group’s CEO: Call for Questions for Jason Liberty

CCAubs

Questions for Jason

Will Celebrity ever offer Coco Cay as a stop?

Why not raise the fares a little instead of doing cuts in the dinning experience?

Why does Celebrity no longer offer just a basic soda package? 
the zero package is way to expensive for cruisers or kids that just want soda 

I think a blanket question could be why we’re there so many passenger experience cuts and new fees but there weren’t any improvements?  One example…When RCI introduced the additional lobster tail fee they changed the lobster from spiny to more desirable Maine but X did not despite charging the exact same fee

• Like 3

On 2/19/2023 at 10:55 AM, Shep_Proudfoot said:

Yep that’s me and that is why I will likely never sail E class. When S-class ships “age out” will Celebrity fall entirely off the list for consideration?

Love the Fargo reference.

• Thanks 1

How many Edge class ships are intended to be built?

When does Celebrity expect to add Cuba as a port of call?

Are there any plans to resurrect the 14 night Caribbean itineraries?

and finally....what is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?

W̶h̶e̶r̶e̶ a̶r̶e̶ m̶y̶ m̶i̶s̶s̶i̶n̶g̶ P̶U̶P̶s̶?̶

W̶i̶l̶l̶ m̶y̶ H̶o̶n̶g̶ K̶o̶n̶g̶ c̶r̶u̶i̶s̶e̶ o̶n̶ S̶o̶l̶s̶t̶i̶c̶e̶ h̶a̶p̶p̶e̶n̶ t̶h̶i̶s̶ y̶e̶a̶r̶?̶

Edited by mahdnc

16 hours ago, mahdnc said:

How many Edge class ships are intended to be built?

When does Celebrity expect to add Cuba as a port of call?

Are there any plans to resurrect the 14 night Caribbean itineraries?

and finally....what is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?

W̶h̶e̶r̶e̶ a̶r̶e̶ m̶y̶ m̶i̶s̶s̶i̶n̶g̶ P̶U̶P̶s̶?̶

W̶i̶l̶l̶ m̶y̶ H̶o̶n̶g̶ K̶o̶n̶g̶ c̶r̶u̶i̶s̶e̶ o̶n̶ S̶o̶l̶s̶t̶i̶c̶e̶ h̶a̶p̶p̶e̶n̶ t̶h̶i̶s̶ y̶e̶a̶r̶?̶

What was the latest with this, will it sail?

I believe the E-Class will stop at five

• Haha 1

I was a formerly loyal passenger with over 100 Celebrity cruises. I see many formerly loyal Celebrity passengers on other lines, especially Oceania and Viking. What are your plans to bring us back to Celebrity?

Edited by Orator
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Orator said:

I was a formerly loyal passenger with over 100 Celebrity cruises. I see many formerly loyal Celebrity passengers on other lines, especially Oceania and Viking. What are your plans to bring us back to Celebrity?

They said something along the lines of they were disappointed by how many didn't not transition from Celebrity to SilverSeas...So I believe RCG is more interested in making SilverSeas more attractive

Why is the Celebrity website often down or not working? Same with the app.

Why were passengers that had paid in full (or were past final payment) shortchanged when Celebrity announced — with no notice — that Room Service was no longer complimentary; the OV for dinner was cut by 75%; and the additional fee for one tiny lobster? Some OBC for ANY cruised booked prior to Jan. 1, 2023 would help avoid the ‘bait and switch’ feeling that many of us have. We booked and paid for one experience, and it appears that you are more interested in jerking around your loyal customers than you are in providing a quality product.

• Like 4

On 2/15/2023 at 3:14 PM, CCAubs said:

One of the biggest cruise industry events, Seatrade Cruise Global, is quickly approaching. At the event, cruise line CEOs sit side by side to discuss all things cruising. This year’s panel of esteemed CEOs includes the President & CEO of Royal Caribbean Group, Jason Liberty.

And he wants to hear from Cruise Critic members. 

Do you have a question that you’d love to ask Mr. Liberty? Are you wondering what’s ahead for onboard dining and entertainment? Have thoughts on how Royal Caribbean Group can leverage technology to improve the cruise experience? Do you have questions about the cruise line’s sustainability efforts? We want to hear from you.

Share your questions below, and your question might be one asked of Mr. Liberty at this year’s event.

1)Can you please start opening up more opportunities for singles to cruise on Celebrity.  Many seniors have lost their spouses and now are still in love with Celebrity, but feel paying 200% for a room is unreasonable, especially since the cruise fares have skyrocketed.

2)Another concern was in Captains Club, as X offered double points for customers booking Europe by March 31st, 2023, and sailing by December 2023. (Example, SINGLE customer books Concierge (5 pts/n, and receives 10 pts/p/n).  As a single you are paying double occupancy prices to begin with and start out with 10 pts. for the cabin you paid double for. That makes sense, but for the special, are discriminated against, and only offered 15 points instead of 20.  Can you explain why you discriminate in the point system against Singles?  It is so disheartening. 

A normal couple gets 10 points for the room, but during the special receives 20 points for the room, for the same price a single is paying, minus taxes, fees, and gratuities.  

• Like 3

I know we in Captains Club have talked about this since 2014, when you changed the point system, but why in heaven's name haven't you added an additional tier after Elite Plus.  The climb is too much with no other rewards in sight for years.   Gaining 2100 more points is hard work.  35 points for a week sailing in Concierge, as an example.  

It's time to add a new level of Elite Plus category.  How about Horizon?  Horizon is the level under Zenith and can also be noted as a special place in our hearts for the ship named Horizon.  Maybe started at 2000 points.  Zenith-Nadir-Horizon - Zenith - Wikipedia Halfway between Nadir and Zenith, in this case halfway between Elite Plus and Zenith.  It stays with the company theme.

• Like 1

On 2/15/2023 at 3:14 PM, CCAubs said:

One of the biggest cruise industry events, Seatrade Cruise Global, is quickly approaching. At the event, cruise line CEOs sit side by side to discuss all things cruising. This year’s panel of esteemed CEOs includes the President & CEO of Royal Caribbean Group, Jason Liberty.

And he wants to hear from Cruise Critic members. 

Do you have a question that you’d love to ask Mr. Liberty? Are you wondering what’s ahead for onboard dining and entertainment? Have thoughts on how Royal Caribbean Group can leverage technology to improve the cruise experience? Do you have questions about the cruise line’s sustainability efforts? We want to hear from you.

Share your questions below, and your question might be one asked of Mr. Liberty at this year’s event.

1)Can you please start opening up more opportunities for singles to cruise on Celebrity.  Many seniors have lost their spouses and now are still in love with Celebrity, but feel paying 200% for a room is unreasonable, especially since the cruise fares have skyrocketed.

2)Another concern was in Captains Club, as X offered double points for customers booking Europe by March 31st, 2023, and sailing by December 2023. (Example, SINGLE customer books Concierge (5 pts/n, and receives 10 pts/p/n).  As a single you are paying double occupancy prices to begin with and start out with 10 pts. for the cabin you paid double for. That makes sense, but for the special, are discriminated against, and only offered 15 points instead of 20.  Can you explain why you discriminate in the point system against Singles?  It is so disheartening. 

A normal couple gets 10 points for the room, but during the special receives 20 points for the room, for the same price a single is paying, minus taxes, fees, and gratuities.  

Get more smaller ships, it's getting to be a Carnival or zoo of people on board.  I feel like I am at a large fair especially at the pool. Need more areas with more spaces for people to do different activities. Not fond of using the atrium and stairway area as an entertainment area on the ship. It never used to be an area for dance lessons (the older ships we had the rendezvous lounge).  It makes X look like they are out of room for activities on the ship. Instead of being a quiet elegant staircase, it is now extremely loud. What is happening to Celebrity, please don't turn into Carnival!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Tikigal1 said:

Totally agree that more attention should be paid to solo travelers. There are also many people whose spouse/partner can’t or won’t cruise as much as well as those who choose to be single. A 100 sf solo cabin for $1000 is totally unappealing. 

• Like 3

On 2/16/2023 at 10:10 PM, Cap_D said:

Would he consider banning Better Midler, Neil Diamond (Sweet Caroline), and Barry Maninlow from the approved songs for the group sing alongs?

Hey now, leave Neil Diamond out of this!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello from Seatrade 2023 in Ft. Lauderdale!

The State of the Industry was held yesterday. Due to time constraints, we were limited to just one question per CEO, but it was amazing to have the opportunity to include the cruisers' voice in the conversation for the first time ever.

Here's a link to our recap of the event and CEO answers: https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/7330/ Including a photo, too 🙂

We received A TON of questions across all of the cruise line forums (and lots of fantastic feedback) for the lines, and are going to be following up by sending all of it their way as well. We'll also use it on the Cruise Critic side for future story ideas, too. 

A huge thank you to all of you for sharing your thoughts, questions and experiences -- this community is incredible.

SOTI 2023.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mahdnc said:

After having read the article, none of our questions were asked. 

As expected, “why don’t you give us ABC for free?” types of questions were ignored while “where do you see ABC cruise line going in the future?” types of softball questions were answered vaguely without many specifics

• Like 1

On 2/15/2023 at 4:25 PM, randomcruise said:

Questions for Jason Liberty:

Do you understand that some passengers see the recent Celebrity cutbacks as significantly downgrading the experience that Celebrity promoted and that the passengers paid for in full months ago as essentially a bait-and-switch scam that exposes a lack of integrity in the executive level decision making at Celebrity/RC Group?

Do you understand that in the future many of those same passengers are going to be very reluctant to trust that Celebrity will actually provide the experience that Celebrity promotes and demands full payment for months before their cruise date?

After our January X cruise experience, instead of having our typical 5 or 6 cruises booked, we have canceled all but one.  The bloom is definitely off the rose (the X rose at least).  It’s just not very special anymore, just a mass market experience, and we can get that anywhere.

• Like 1

• Host Kat unpinned and locked this topic