MSC Meraviglia boarding at Red Hook Brooklyn

SusanMK

We are leaving out of Brooklyn NY Red Hook cruise terminal and can’t find much info on park sleep and fly which most cruise ports have. I imagine because it is NY that there isn’t any. My travel agent can only find transfers from JFK and it is $44 each way=$264, which seems pricey. We are debating just driving to the port and parking at the pier. Parking at the pier is $240. We are coming from Massachusetts so not interested in flying. This is our first cruise with MSC, and we are bringing our 10 year old grandson. We are both seniors so don’t feel comfortable with public transportation. Thanks for any info that you can give me.

You might research on the East Coast Departures board, under North American Homeports.  You also might post a question on the Princess and Cunard boards, since they are the on,y other lines using Red Hook, and have been for years.  EM

• Like 1

You are correct as to the lack of park sleep and fly. Hotels do not offer transfers beyond the ones close to the airport which you wouldn't want to stay out anyway.

Post your budget and preferences on the East Coast Depatures and you will get a

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/317-east-coast-departures/

On 2/15/2023 at 5:57 PM, SusanMK said:

We are leaving out of Brooklyn NY Red Hook cruise terminal and can’t find much info on park sleep and fly which most cruise ports have. I imagine because it is NY that there isn’t any. My travel agent can only find transfers from JFK and it is $44 each way=$264, which seems pricey. We are debating just driving to the port and parking at the pier. Parking at the pier is $240. We are coming from Massachusetts so not interested in flying. This is our first cruise with MSC, and we are bringing our 10 year old grandson. We are both seniors so don’t feel comfortable with public transportation. Thanks for any info that you can give me.

We will be taking Amtrak to Penn Station (NJ not NY) in june. Only $108.00 round trip from Boston and then uber or taxi to Red Hook

• Like 1

23 hours ago, EllieinNJ said:

I just read on fb that the cruise terminal parking is going up to $45/day.  That means my October 12 day cruise will cost $540.  Cheaper to Uber from NJ.

There might be a cap on the charge.  At the pier in Manhattan there’s a max charge of 400.

On 2/16/2023 at 8:45 PM, EllieinNJ said:

I just read on fb that the cruise terminal parking is going up to $45/day.  That means my October 12 day cruise will cost $540.  Cheaper to Uber from NJ.

Good to know--thank you! We, too, are going on a cruise in October from Brooklyn (10/04). We're in CT and were planning to drive, so I'll have to see what the cost of Uber is vs. parking. 

• 2 weeks later...

How did you find out which port you're cruising out of? I'm on the MERAVIGLIA 4/29. I'm flying in from Phx. I did a quick search today and thought I found that I'm cruising out of Cape Liberty. I want to fly into the closest airport. Thanks!

11 hours ago, KarenGretz said:

How did you find out which port you're cruising out of? I'm on the MERAVIGLIA 4/29. I'm flying in from Phx. I did a quick search today and thought I found that I'm cruising out of Cape Liberty. I want to fly into the closest airport. Thanks!

Are you sure?  I thought all Meraviglia cruises sail out of Red Hook Brooklyn.

• Like 1

Yeah, I think it was an old listing in their website for Cape Liberty. All the articles I read after asking this question is pointing me to Brooklyn. So I changed my flight back to JFK. The times and the fact that it's non-stop work best for me. Thanks for your help everyone!

We're on the Meraviglia 5/21 and I just automatically assumed we'd be departing out of the Manhattan cruise terminal but later learned we'll be departing out of the Brooklyn terminal. I didn't even know there was a Brooklyn terminal. This'll be our first cruise out of New York. We'll be flying in/out of LGA and spending two nights pre-cruise in NYC so don't need parking anywhere but if we'd planned to park at the port, WHOA, $45/day is outrageous!

• 2 weeks later...

The ferry frrom Pier 11 / Wall Street goes straight to the Red Hook cruise terminal. $2.75. Catch the subway to southern Manhattan (2 or 3 train to Wall St) for another $2.75. It's a quarter of a mile from subway to ferry.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, F3rpect said:

The ferry frrom Pier 11 / Wall Street goes straight to the Red Hook cruise terminal. $2.75. Catch the subway to southern Manhattan (2 or 3 train to Wall St) for another $2.75. It's a quarter of a mile from subway to ferry.

That is incorrect, the current NYC Ferry Adult one-way fare is $4.00

10 Trip is $27.50

$1.35 for Senior Citizens, aged 65 and older; Persons with disabilities; Current participants in the Fair Fares NYC program

Purchase via App, Pier Ticket Machine, or Website

https://www.ferry.nyc/ticketing-info/

On 2/28/2023 at 7:49 PM, NCMtnBoys said:

don't need parking anywhere but if we'd planned to park at the port, WHOA, $45/day is outrageous!

LOL Typical NY prices....to park at the airport is $75 a day so $45 is bargain.  

• Like 1

Another major kicker for the Brooklyn Terminal is the ship's earlier departure. It sails at 3PM? That means all aboard is at 2PM at the latest. If you're coming in from anywhere outside of the NYC metro area, you've got a very early rise to get there and forget going into NYC on a train or bus the same day coming down from Boston. You'd be biting your nails if you tried the public transit options to get to Brooklyn and the Uber/Lyft charges are up there. Perhaps with their arrival into NYC, they'll eventually move to the Manhattan terminal on the off days from when the Joy is in town (Saturdays would be free in Manhattan).

• Like 1

I'm a native NYer, spent my entire school-age life in Bensonhurst, Brooklyn. I'd never pay for NYC parking rates. Much better to use public transportation (fly, train, etc) or Uber if you're local. I would totally avoid having a vehicle near the cruise port unless you're really close by.

• 2 weeks later...

Dumb question (perhaps), but we have never sailed out of NY before and are scheduled to for our upcoming cruise on the Mera this November. We plan to stay in lower Manhattan and take the ferry across the river, as described above. Can ferry tickets be purchased in advance, and is there a clear schedule oft their departure times?

• Like 1

You should all be aware...the port for the Meraviglia is BROOKLYN not Manhattan.  It is Red Hook
Parking as of 4/1 is $45 per day.  As a native New Yorker...I will tell you that no matter what transportation you use it will be pricey...this is NY....and be sure to leave plenty of time to get to 

the port.  Anything can happen in this city to delay you......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, jcathers1 said:

Dumb question (perhaps), but we have never sailed out of NY before and are scheduled to for our upcoming cruise on the Mera this November. We plan to stay in lower Manhattan and take the ferry across the river, as described above. Can ferry tickets be purchased in advance, and is there a clear schedule oft their departure times?

yes but probably easier just to buy at the kiosks at the terminals

schedules are easily google-able 

On 3/26/2023 at 5:51 AM, jcathers1 said:

You are talking about NYC Ferry by Hornbolower based out of Wall Street pier runs on the East River to the five boroughs. Yes, you can purchase in advance on the cell phone app. 

Button for the app currently on the main page: Main Page: https://www.ferry.nyc/

or the bottom of this page for Apple or Google Store: https://www.ferry.nyc/appguide/

Adult one-way is currently $4.00, Senior 65+ is $1.35

On 2/27/2023 at 11:27 PM, KarenGretz said:

There is a publicly posted schedule for the NY Cruise Terminals:

https://nycruise.com/schedule/

MCT = Manhattan Cruise Terminal

BCT = Brooklyn Cruise Terminal

The Meraviglia is home porting out of the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal beginning in April.

• Like 1