Carer for wheelchair user

omah1975

I know that this may well be a long shot but I thought I'd give it a try just in case. I am a 48 year old man living in the UK, I use a wheelchair full time. I have found a cruise that I would like to go on but I need a carer to come with me on the cruise to assist me. I was wondering if anyone on this board happened to know of any UK based companies that would be able to help me? I did find one company and when I enquired about this, I was quoted £19,000 plus the cost of the cruise for a carer which is far too much money considering the cruise itself only costs about £2,500. I know of one company called Limitless Travel that does this sort of thing but you can only go on any of the cruises that they offer whereas I would like to be able to have complete control over which cruise line/ship/destination I book.

Thank you.

Owen Hamilton.

Suggestions would likely depend upon what type of care you need.

Is it mostly mobility, or would it be more intensive such as helpt with eating or even personal hygiene.

That would affect the type/qualifications for anyone you would be considering.

Some years ago, there was a thread here on CC with some agencies and other suggestions, but I don't know if it was USA-based only.

Does there happen to be a nursing school (or medical school) nearby?  Someone there might want to earn some extra money while having a bit of a trip (probably not quite a "vacation", or just a "working vacation", but still... new places to see, etc.).

Or do you not need someone with those medical qualifications?

£19,000 seems a bit (more than a "bit"!) high 😱  for a cruise costing about £2,500, which suggests that this is *not* an around the world cruise taking 3 months or more!

GC

2 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

Suggestions would likely depend upon what type of care you need.

Is it mostly mobility, or would it be more intensive such as helpt with eating or even personal hygiene.

That would affect the type/qualifications for anyone you would be considering.

Some years ago, there was a thread here on CC with some agencies and other suggestions, but I don't know if it was USA-based only.

Does there happen to be a nursing school (or medical school) nearby?  Someone there might want to earn some extra money while having a bit of a trip (probably not quite a "vacation", or just a "working vacation", but still... new places to see, etc.).

Or do you not need someone with those medical qualifications?

£19,000 seems a bit (more than a "bit"!) high 😱  for a cruise costing about £2,500, which suggests that this is *not* an around the world cruise taking 3 months or more!

GC

Thanks for the reply, the cruise is for 35 nights so it's quite long but quite reasonably priced for the length of it in my opinion. I need help washing, dressing and toileting and depending on the terrain on the places we go, some help getting around in my wheelchair. I honestly nearly fell out my wheelchair when they quoted that amount 🤣. I will check to see if there is a nursing or medical school nearby. I'm quite happy to pay for the carer's cruise.

2 minutes ago, omah1975 said:

Thanks for the reply, the cruise is for 35 nights so it's quite long but quite reasonably priced for the length of it in my opinion. I need help washing, dressing and toileting and depending on the terrain on the places we go, some help getting around in my wheelchair. I honestly nearly fell out my wheelchair when they quoted that amount 🤣. I will check to see if there is a nursing or medical school nearby. I'm quite happy to pay for the carer's cruise.

Okay... that's a longer cruise than I was thinking of (for a rather modest amount of money, in our minds, anyway!).

So this means you'd need to find someone who had that amount of time available, without needing to take time off from work.  IF they need to take time off from work (assuming it could be arranged), then there'd be the salary lost.  Someone might be willing to work for less, because of the travel, but... would they have time to enjoy the new locales?  IF you would be okay for a few hours on your own some of the time, giving the caregiver time off to explore, make sure you include that information; it might make working with you more appealing as a nice "perk".

What level person, what training/etc., would that £19,000 be getting you?

Is there a "temp" agency that can arrange for caregivers?  And again, do you need a licensed nurse?  An "aide"?  How much training /background would they need to already have?

And a suggestion:  When discussing this, probably best not to say that you'd "be happy to pay" for the caregiver's cruise.  That should be an absolute given, in this situation.  They shouldn't need to pay out of pocket for any aspect of this.  (That might be different for a friend, or IF there were to be a lot of "time off" for sightseeing or otherwise enjoying a "vacation", but otherwise, "being on the cruise" is part of that job, and it includes being away from friends/family, one's own home and activities, etc.)

What type of agency were you speaking with?  Of course, I have no familiarity with how such arrangements might be made in the UK.  Did you find one that specifically dealt with caregivers who can travel?

Good luck!

GC

It wasn't an agency I contacted but a company that runs holidays (including cruises) to wherever you want to go and will supply a carer for the duration of that holiday (at huge cost apparently). I have no idea how that company operates at all. I don't want to employ someone, I just want to have someone to come with me for the duration of the cruise. I will do some more investigation myself but I just thought that this forum might be a good place to ask.

In the US we have agencies that supply people for in home care,  it usually 24/7.  Everything from registered nurses to home health aides.  There are agencies that supply doctors short term.  You might see if you have any agencies like that in the UK.  EM

On 2/17/2023 at 8:39 AM, Bloodgem said:

Consider ringing nursing care agencies in your area to see how much they will charge you.

Have you considered contacting Carers UK as they may be able to give you some advice about getting a carer for your cruise. https://www.carersuk.org/

Thanks for the reply, I had not heard of this organisation, I shall have a look.

2 hours ago, omah1975 said:

Thanks for the reply, I had not heard of this organisation, I shall have a look.

You are welcome.

Carers UK is for carers but carers do need back up carers at various times. That is why people contact them.

To the OP: While I don't have any advice for you (other than seeing if perhaps you can get a relative or friend to join you), I'd like to applaud you for realizing you need to bring a carer onboard with you. There was once a story of someone who needed a carer booking a suite, expecting their butler to act in that role, and had quite a surprise when that wasn't the case.